XV Hybrid - Inflated Tire Pressure - Page 2

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: XV Hybrid - Inflated Tire Pressure

I raised mine to 44 PSI and see no discernible difference in "ride" from when the dealer had them at which is 35 PSI or so, can't remember, but anyway, i ran my Prius for 10 years at 40+ psi generally at 44 and consistently beat gas mileage figures. I have never had a tire dealer say that my tires were wearing improperly or anything. Physics will tell you that the ride will be stiffer but hell it's a CrossTrek not a Caddy anyway I can't tell the difference in ride but i can in gas mileage, and they are ready for 51 psi cold so 44 isn't that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by uvwray View Post
    Hello everyone,

I purchased my new XV Hybrid in late March and since then I’ve only reached an average of 27 mpg (mostly city driving) each time I fill up with gas. I’ve noticed other owners experiencing 30+ mpg but for some reason I cannot get there. Granted, they say you should you not worry about your gas mileage until after your break-in period of 1,000 miles and I only have 600 but it does make me wonder what I should expect going forward.

The one thing I have noticed after I purchased the car, is when I took it home and gave it a once over I noticed the tire pressure to be 42 psi in each of the tires. I looked in the manual and noticed the front should be 32 and the rear to be 30 so I let out the air to meet the manufacture’s requirement.

I’m wondering if the reason some folks are getting better gas mileage is due to those folks having 40+ psi in their tires. For those of you getting expected mileage could you report what psi is in your tires?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I agree fully with dstmark. I had run 4 seasons tires at their maximum cold pressure for their lifetime (actually I increased their lifetime...) with the two side effect being: a harsher ride and better fuel economy.

The type of tire you have on will also make a difference. A sticky rubber versus a eco friendly tire won't get you the same fuel economy.

I have a 5 speed manual, no option XV. I got my best tank of 30.4 US mpg (7.729l\100 km) with my new Continentals True Contact inflated at 40 psi all around.

I filled up and put 5 more psi in them for 45 psi for this tank.

So far, this tank will be even better than the 40 psi one (I knew that...).

I drive mainly on the highway at night, so I can go a little bit slower.

I'll keep the tires at 45 psi for a little while before bumping them to 51psi because the temperature here will go up, so fuel economy.

I wouldn't do that with anything in the tires other than Nitrogen gas....Air will expand greatly beyond your 44 to 51 psi..But hey it's your car....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2