Model Year 2018 and Newer My blacked out wheels pic on 2019 Crosstrek CGK. Question

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My blacked out wheels pic on 2019 Crosstrek CGK. Question

My blacked out wheels pic on 2019 Crosstrek CGK. Question

Hi all,
    I plasti dipped my wheels, also did my emblems on the back of the car. Quick question, what are your thoughts on the center caps? They are currently dipped, but I'm considering peeling them and showing the Subaru emblem. Only concern is the original black (on the wheel around the subaru emblem) is a bit shinier than the Dipped rim. I didn't know if the two different shades of black would make it look bad, or if I should just leave as is. Would love to hear your opinions, either good/bad. Here's a quick pic, sorry for the low lighting and distance, its the only pic I had on my phone.

Crosstrek.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Blacked out wheels look good on your car. I think showing the Subaru logo would be nice. I just went down and looked at my wheels and I think you may be able to cut around the edge of the emblem, not around the entire center cap. If you do peel the entire center cap I think it will still look fine. The spoiler is also glossy, so it might complement.

Quote Originally Posted by hckyplyr View Post
    Hi all,
    I plasti dipped my wheels, also did my emblems on the back of the car. Quick question, what are your thoughts on the center caps? They are currently dipped, but I'm considering peeling them and showing the Subaru emblem. Only concern is the original black (on the wheel around the subaru emblem) is a bit shinier than the Dipped rim. I didn't know if the two different shades of black would make it look bad, or if I should just leave as is. Would love to hear your opinions, either good/bad. Here's a quick pic, sorry for the low lighting and distance, its the only pic I had on my phone.
    If you really want my opinion, I'm not crazy about plasti-dip on wheels. The matte finish is too flat and always looks dirty.

That said, I'd peel the caps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

My 2019 Limited came with the black caps with blue logo, which i like on my black Method 502's. Try a couple coats of plasti-dip glossifier, may improve the looks.

My 2019 Limited came with the black OEM caps with blue logo, which I like on my 15" black Method 502's. Try a couple coats of plasti-dip glossifier, may improve the looks.

That's the one thing i hated about the Limited is them hideous wheels! And the 18" low profile tires just don't look right on this car, IMHO!

I've worked with plasti dipped before, I would say it's awesome for the first few weeks after that you'll see it starting to peel. With dip, it's easy to touch up but after powder coating a set of wheels I won't go back. It's cheap and it's durable. Enjoy the new color though, they look awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by OldEvoOwner View Post
    I've worked with plasti dipped before, I would say it's awesome for the first few weeks after that you'll see it starting to peel. With dip, it's easy to touch up but after powder coating a set of wheels I won't go back. It's cheap and it's durable. Enjoy the new color though, they look awesome.
    First thank you for posting, you have changed the look of the Ltd wheels, they no longer look like Patrick Star from Sponge Bob. They look great!! 2nd your post gained an approval from my wife to make the change. Our 2018 CGK is her daily driver. My peel the center cap and use the glossifer.

Quote Originally Posted by hckyplyr View Post
    Hi all,
    As with most paint or plastidip it is all about the surface prep. I dipped my Gen4 4Runner wheels and they looked good with no peeling for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul4Runner View Post
    First thank you for posting, you have changed the look of the Ltd wheels, they no longer look like Patrick Star from Sponge Bob. They look great!! 2nd your post gained an approval from my wife to make the change. Our 2018 CGK is her daily driver. My peel the center cap and use the glossifer.

As with most paint or plastidip it is all about the surface prep. I dipped my Gen4 4Runner wheels and they looked good with no peeling for 2 years.
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I did use glossifier, two coats. I guess I should have taken a closer picture in the sun. They are definitely more glossy than the pic shows. I initially wanted to plasti dip just to see how the wheels would look black, before doing something permanent. I'll keep the current look for as long as the dip holds up, then prob power coat. I'm glad your wife gave you the ok to do the same with your CGK!

Quote Originally Posted by OldEvoOwner View Post

Whats a good price for the powercoat? $200-250?

I'm planning to wrap some dash trim with vinyl and in doing research I've seen videos of folks wrapping their wheels. Might be a good alternative that would be easy to undo and redo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast