Model Year 2012 to 2017 Tire plugs - likely poor repair

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tire plugs - likely poor repair

Tire plugs - likely poor repair

This seems to be the time of the year where we are meeting cowboys in all the repair and construction work that has been needed.

One of the front tires picked up some glass three weeks ago. Its pressure was reading 18 psi when it should have been 33 psi. We went have the tires checked, the assistant pulled out a piece of glass. I could hear the loss of tire pressure sound. He increased the hole size where the glass had been using a sharp instrument and put five tire plugs into each of the main holes. In other words there were supposedly three pieces of glass creating three separate holes. I couldn't exactly see what he was doing but we are now at where the tire is (see patch up in three places in the below image).

Is this situation salvageable and could we get the tire repaired properly from the inside? We have done this in the past without problems but never went through a tire plug 'repair' from the outside.

The tires are all Yokohama Geolander G95 225/55 R17.

Many thanks for any advice.

20190521_140424.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by meridius View Post
    This seems to be the time of the year where we are meeting cowboys in all the repair and construction work that has been needed.

One of the front tires picked up some glass three weeks ago. Its pressure was reading 18 psi when it should have been 33 psi. We went have the tires checked, the assistant pulled out a piece of glass. I could hear the loss of tire pressure sound. He increased the hole size where the glass had been using a sharp instrument and put five tire plugs into each of the main holes. In other words there were supposedly three pieces of glass creating three separate holes. I couldn't exactly see what he was doing but we are now at where the tire is (see patch up in three places in the below image).

Is this situation salvageable and could we get the tire repaired properly from the inside? We have done this in the past without problems but never went through a tire plug 'repair' from the outside.

The tires are all Yokohama Geolander G95 225/55 R17.

Many thanks for any advice.

20190521_140424.jpg
    A competent reputable tire shop should be able to repair your tire without issue. The punctures are all on the flat pf the tire rather than the sidewall so are quite repairable properly from the inside. I would be comfortable repairing that tire and would even do the repair myself having done many many in the dim past. I do always carry a pressure can of flat-fix in my vehicle as well as a small compressor.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

The only possible issue I see is the 3 holes are so close together.

Many thanks for all your feedback. It's really useful.

The only possible issue I see is the 3 holes are so close together.
    I think we need to get someone trustworthy to look at the tire as well. Here in Cairo, Egypt this is not so easy. Also what you consider off road in the US or Europe is on road here! Some of the roads around the Red Sea are also work in progress and you can suddenly find yourself genuinely off track. I don't know how normal cars survive it. The amount of potholes etc. has used the full capacity of the ruggedness of the Subaru XV which will be four years old in August.

I am not sure the Yokohama Geolander G95 225/55 R17 tire is so easy to find any more here. I will need to look around for it and would rather always have all four tyres of the same make and model.

I do always carry a pressure can of flat-fix in my vehicle as well as a small compressor.
    I guess you mean products similar to these two:

https://www.amazon.com/Fix-Flat-S420.../dp/B0107W05OQ

https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Portab...gateway&sr=8-3

Tire repair is something I am not at all experienced in. I saw a video on youtube about this and the mechanic went through quite a few steps to complete the repair!:

My question is is this the correct way of doing this? Can you also repair a tire from both the inside and the outside?

My other question is if someone pulls out the plugs for whatever reason surely we will end up with a flat which is why a repair from the inside seems to make more sense. I am also not sure how long this type of exterior tire plug repair is supposed to last under normal conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by meridius View Post
    Many thanks for all your feedback. It's really useful.

I think we need to get someone trustworthy to look at the tire as well. Here in Cairo, Egypt this is not so easy. Also what you consider off road in the US or Europe is on road here! Some of the roads around the Red Sea are also work in progress and you can suddenly find yourself genuinely off track. I don't know how normal cars survive it. The amount of potholes etc. has used the full capacity of the ruggedness of the Subaru XV which will be four years old in August.

I am not sure the Yokohama Geolander G95 225/55 R17 tire is so easy to find any more here. I will need to look around for it and would rather always have all four tyres of the same make and model.

I guess you mean products similar to these two:

https://www.amazon.com/Fix-Flat-S420.../dp/B0107W05OQ

https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Portab...gateway&sr=8-3

Tire repair is something I am not at all experienced in. I saw a video on youtube about this and the mechanic went through quite a few steps to complete the repair!:

My question is is this the correct way of doing this? Can you also repair a tire from both the inside and the outside?

My other question is if someone pulls out the plugs for whatever reason surely we will end up with a flat which is why a repair from the inside seems to make more sense. I am also not sure how long this type of exterior tire plug repair is supposed to last under normal conditions.
    like I said earlier there is nothing wrong with plugs. I've had many over the years and never a problem. plus I worked in a tire shop for awhile (long time ago). plugging a tire is quicker and cheaper. That said dismounting the tire and patching from the inside is that way I have it done given the choice.

fix a flat is a temporary fix. it throws the balance of the wheel off but that's fine because it's temporary. when you do get the tire patched properly you will need to clean out all the sealant, which is quite messy. I would only use fix a flat in an emergency.

That said dismounting the tire and patching from the inside is that way I have it done given the choice.
    I think it would make sense to find someone reliable to look at the tire and do this at some point soon.

If we have to replace a tire in the future and the same one isn't on the market should we try to find the same brand first? I am not sure it makes much sense to use different brand tires on the same car.

Subarus are very picky about tires because of the full-time AWD system. Review the "Tire Replacement" section of your owner's manual and you'll notice that Subaru recommends that all four tires be not only the same size but also the same circumference. This means that tread depth difference cannot exceed 2 or 3/32 maximum on all four wheels. For this reason the owners manual, and many Subaru dealers, recommend changing all four tires at the same time. Not adhering to the size and/or circumference requirements may result in damage to your AWD system.

If it were my tire I would have a tire shop inspect and patch the damaged tire from the inside. That way you can confidently run it until you need new set of four.

In addition to the problems erader mentions above about using fix-a-flat, it may also gum up the valve and tpms sensor.

Thanks for letting me know. I realised this car was special from when we first bought it four years ago. We've got so much out of AWD without realising it.

I'll look again at the manual later tonight when I get the time. This is a basic model from 2015 and from what I can see it does not have an active tire pressure warning light.

I copied this;

"The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds), to help alert drivers of under-inflation events. This act affects all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007."
    2016 Crosstrek Limited Crystal White / Black leather
    (GRD - 23) Moonroof Package W/Navigation/Eyesight
    Auto-dim Mirror/Homelink + Alarm/shock sensor + Side moldings

Polk Audio DB651 front speakers + de Auto Key 5000k HID kit
    Alla Lighting LED backup 921 800 Lumen
    Philips 9011 HIR1 Diode Dynamics XML2 5000k Fog Lights
    SpyTec A118-C Dash Cam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast