Applies to All Model Years Nitrogen fill

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Nitrogen fill

Nitrogen fill

The dealer delivered my car with nitrogen tire fill. They didn't ask me, they just included it.

I've always understood nitrogen fill to be mainly hype. Is it? Anyone have any personal experience of a difference? I feel like everyone will see the green caps and think I got bamboozled at a tire shop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Hype.
    Subaru Ambassador - 2017 Limited, Venetian Red Pearl, Eyesight, Nav, moonroof, keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and compass, pushbutton start, Kicker powered sub, rear JL Audio C2 525x coaxials, JL Audio C2-650 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System up front, under seat Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel amp

Yes and no. Pop Mechanics has a nice write-up that goes into it in some detail.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...ogen-in-tires/

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Nitrogen fill allow more constant pressure, but to keep checking pressure and fill up with nitrogen is a challenge ex ept you have your own nitrogen station.
    Now i gave up and just check my tire and fill up with normal air every 2 weeks.

Doesn't matter. I've never found that nitrogen inflated tires keep the pressure up any longer than regular old air. And if you do have them inflated with nitrogen, you have to keep them topped off with nitrogen or you lose any "benefit" over time.

Quote Originally Posted by amx304 View Post
    Doesn't matter. I've never found that nitrogen inflated tires keep the pressure up any longer than regular old air. And if you do have them inflated with nitrogen, you have to keep them topped off with nitrogen or you lose any "benefit" over time.
    Nitrogen benefit is not maintaining pressure longer before top up, but the pressure raise less during driving so you have better wear and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by kr_xv View Post
    Nitrogen benefit is not maintaining pressure longer before top up, but the pressure raise less during driving so you have better wear and comfort.
    Again, personally, I've never seen any benefit like that.

Here's something I've always wondered about this.

One of the selling points for nitrogen has always been the claim that nitrogen molecules are less likely to escape by migrating through the tire rubber. And some testing bears that out; nitrogen fills lose a fraction less pressure than air fills over time.

If this is so, then as an air-filled tire loses pressure, its nitrogen concentration should rise, because it's losing a greater proportion of its oxygen than its nitrogen. Over time, repeated air top-ups should cause the tire's gas content to slowly converge on the same concentration of nitrogen as if it were filled with it deliberately.

I don't know if that process would have time to complete before the end of the tire's life, but it's something to think about.

If you were you had a drag racer that generates enormous heat off the line than it would be a good application.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

Nitrogen has its benefits (mainly to the seller) but as a practical matter are you going to seek out a nitrogen fill every time you need air? NOT!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast