Model Year 2012 to 2017 Tire recommendations

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By troutbum

Thread: Tire recommendations

Tire recommendations

Mine is a simple question, I am about to replace the factory Yokohama Geolandars on my '13 Limited (second set, I replaced with identical tires) but I am looking for a recommendation on tires that have the snowflake and mountain designation this time.
    My main requirements are obviously snow and some off-road use but I really would like something that is not only great traction but also QUIET, I drove with a guy in Boise, Idaho and on the freeway it sounded like he was driving on studded tires (which they weren't) and I would like to avoid that additional noise.
    Thoughts??????

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Another forum member had the same question about a year ago:
    https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/...her-tires.html

Here's another thread I found:
    https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/...ormance-4.html

I would give the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 tires a try. I don’t have them on my Crosstrek, but drove a friend’s car that had them, and they were pretty quiet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

@billa4536, Are you looking for a tire you can run all year? If so be aware that many winter tires, like the Bridgestone Blizzak, have soft rubber that wears out quickly. BTW, when Consumer Reports tested the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80 they scored noise to be "fair" on a scale of excellent-very good-good-fair-poor.

It doesn't have the 3 mountain snowflake, but these Continental Terrain Contact as discussed in this other thread is an all terrain designed for quieter road use and has good snow performance. This will fit stock rims, but won't fit if you've changed to 16" rims.

https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/...ml#post2018228

This new tire, Cooper Discoverer At3 4S has the 3 peak and is supposed to be quieter than other AT tires. But is new enough so I'm not sure how much experience people have had with it yet.

https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/...ck-wheels.html
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

Something else from the Michelin family to consider as well

https://www.michelin.ca/en/cross-climate-plus.html

Troutbum
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand--and melting like a snowflake...”
    Francis Bacon

2018 Sunshine Orange Cross Trek Sport (Can) 6 MT "Tigger"

The Milestar Weatherguard AW365 are 3 mountain snow flake rated, and available in the factory size 225/55r17. https://www.milestartires.com/passen...guard-aw365-2/
    2017 Crosstrek Crystal White Pearl Limited w/ EYESIGHT
    Subaru Blue Filter - Castrol Edge Full-Synthetic 5W30 oil

The other blue oval.

Your requirements are similar to mine. Have a look at Nokian WRG4. All weather tires with the Mtn/Snowflake logo. I have had 3 sets on my 98 CRV and plan to put them on my new Crosstrek. They do well on snowy mountain passes and on mild/moderate forest service roads. Took them on a road trip on the Dempster Hwy in Yukon. That road can cause problems but I had no issues. They have a 100000km tread wear warranty, which is a stretch, and my tire dealer let me down on one set but came through on the next for warranty replacement. If you are not able to have summer and winter sets these are worth a hard look.

You might consider Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015’s. Winter rated (snowflake/mountain on sidewall), good traction, quiet ride. Discount Tire guy recommended them. My ‘13 Limited got through a really snowy SW Colorado winter in fine shape with 215/60R-17’s. Only 5k miles on them, with little sign of wear. Hoping they’ll wear better than the OEM Yoko Geo 96’s, Michelin Premier A/S’s, and Conti ControlContact’s that, collectively, got me to 65k miles!