Model Year 2018 and Newer Oversized tires

  1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

    Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
     
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RallyeBourne

Thread: Oversized tires

  1. #1
    Member qualitytym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    67

    Oversized tires

    Though Costco has some good deals, they wont install anything other than oem size. Is it really effective to bump up a little and who will do it?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    FLY FISHING CAPITAL, Canada
    Posts
    3,274
    Welcome to the forum

    In Canada the same issue with Costco prevails, I suspect with so many different car mfgs and tire sizes they simply don't want to get involved with dealing with speedo issues or damage to drive trains, etc,etc,etc, and on and on...

    I personally have Down sized (Like so many others ) winter tires, Making sure that The rolling diameter remains Very Close to the Factory tire size, so no damage will be done to the Subaru AWD system..

    The same can be done at any other Tire shop of your choosing, have you approached Discount tire or American Tire & wheel for quotes, both should be familiar with Subaru and the tires that Will Fit your ride ??

    Both web sites should list your ride, both Factory size with rolling diameter, then check out the pro's and con's of different brands,warranty, reviews, warranty or not, are you planning on a separate set of wheel for winter use.

    A lot of folks on here have down sized to 15 " just depends on what/where you do the bulk of your driving

    Please post pics once you have some New Shoes on your ride

    "The Worlds your Oyster"

    Happy Easter
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand--and melting like a snowflake...”
    Francis Bacon

    2018 Sunshine Orange Cross Trek Sport (Can) 6 MT "Tigger"

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by qualitytym View Post
    Though Costco has some good deals, they wont install anything other than oem size. Is it really effective to bump up a little and who will do it?

    what do you mean is it "effective"? I think as a rule it's wise to stick with OEM.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member RallyeBourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,670


    I mean, I’ve been running oversized tires since about 30k miles, going up a little every set. I’m at 175k miles on the odo now, been running P235/65R17 Hankook Dynapro ATM’s for the last ~40-45k. Next set will be these LT245/65R17 BFG KO2’s that are over 3” larger than stock.

    The car doesn’t know how many revolutions it takes the tire to make it 1 mile. It doesn’t matter (other that Speedo accuracy, but I use a Scangauge II for accurate readings). What CAN damage things is different tire positions being different sizes. So rotate your damn tires frequently and you’ll be fine going with other-than-OEM tire sizing.

    Maintaining your vehicle is the single most important thing you can do for longevity. That importance goes up exponentially with modifications. But I think At 175k miles on my 2014, I’m rolling proof that modifications don’t kill cars as long as you maintain them accordingly (I.e. when you beat the hell out of them, increase the OCI frequency, for instance).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  7. #5

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyeBourne View Post


    I mean, I’ve been running oversized tires since about 30k miles, going up a little every set. I’m at 175k miles on the odo now, been running P235/65R17 Hankook Dynapro ATM’s for the last ~40-45k. Next set will be these LT245/65R17 BFG KO2’s that are over 3” larger than stock.

    The car doesn’t know how many revolutions it takes the tire to make it 1 mile. It doesn’t matter (other that Speedo accuracy, but I use a Scangauge II for accurate readings). What CAN damage things is different tire positions being different sizes. So rotate your damn tires frequently and you’ll be fine going with other-than-OEM tire sizing.

    Maintaining your vehicle is the single most important thing you can do for longevity. That importance goes up exponentially with modifications. But I think At 175k miles on my 2014, I’m rolling proof that modifications don’t kill cars as long as you maintain them accordingly (I.e. when you beat the hell out of them, increase the OCI frequency, for instance).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    that's good to know. so how have you been handling the spare tire situation?

  9. #7
    Senior Member RallyeBourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by erader View Post
    that's good to know. so how have you been handling the spare tire situation?
    Day to day: carry a tire plug kit and air compressor.

    Off Road: strap a full size spare to my roof.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyeBourne View Post
    Day to day: carry a tire plug kit and air compressor.

    Off Road: strap a full size spare to my roof.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    last flat I had was a torn sidewall with a rental Nissan Murano in Yellowstone. I pulled over and hit a grate that was covered with snow. I had a hell of a time changing to the spare with the miniature tools that came with the Nissan but if I didn't have a tire I would have been hosed. after I changed to the spare I had to drive to Bozeman to exchange the car. that was about 170 miles and one reason I believe you're better off sticking to OEM sizing. of course you know what you're in for but the guy who just wants bigger tires for aesthetics may not be aware of all the drawbacks -- and there are many -- of running oversized tires.

  11. #9
    Junior Member Bolt Vanderhuge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyeBourne View Post


    I mean, I’ve been running oversized tires since about 30k miles, going up a little every set. I’m at 175k miles on the odo now, been running P235/65R17 Hankook Dynapro ATM’s for the last ~40-45k. Next set will be these LT245/65R17 BFG KO2’s that are over 3” larger than stock.

    The car doesn’t know how many revolutions it takes the tire to make it 1 mile. It doesn’t matter (other that Speedo accuracy, but I use a Scangauge II for accurate readings). What CAN damage things is different tire positions being different sizes. So rotate your damn tires frequently and you’ll be fine going with other-than-OEM tire sizing.

    Maintaining your vehicle is the single most important thing you can do for longevity. That importance goes up exponentially with modifications. But I think At 175k miles on my 2014, I’m rolling proof that modifications don’t kill cars as long as you maintain them accordingly (I.e. when you beat the hell out of them, increase the OCI frequency, for instance).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    May I ask if you're using aftermarket rims? If so, what kind and how do they look?

Similar Threads

  1. ['18+] Snow tires or no snow tires
    By Jax2015 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 20
    Latest Post: 02-06-2019, 02:11 PM
  2. ['18+] Winter tires/Rim Option: - 215/70/16 tires on Forester XT rims
    By Zer0Goblin in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 11
    Latest Post: 12-12-2018, 10:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2