Model Year 2012 to 2017 New rims/offset question and advice

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New rims/offset question and advice

QuestionNew rims/offset question and advice

I'm looking for new rims to mount winter tires on for my wife's 2014 XV, but don't know much about rims (or cars in general actually). I'm planning to keep regular tires on stock rims. I've found some 17 x 7.5 rims with a 40mm offset that I like and that are reasonably priced, but would like to know if this difference from OEM rims will cause any problems. Also, any recommendations for inexpensive rims/where to buy? Many thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jktiffin View Post
    ....don't know much about rims (or cars in general actually)
    Well, the first thing to know is they are called wheels, not rims.

Technically a rim is just the outer edge of a wheel, and goes back to the days when a wheel was assembed from parts: a rim, a hub, and spokes. There are still a few racing wheels or heavy truck wheels that can be taken apart, but none of those are likely to be on your shopping list. Wheels are what you want.

Okay, that said: compared to the stock wheel's 48mm offset, your 40mm offset is doable. What this means is that the face of the wheels will be about 8mm (5/16") farther out from the hub than with the stock wheel. But, since the wheels are half an inch wider than stock, the centerline of the wheel will be very close to where your stock wheel's centerline is. The stock tire size 225/55R17 should fit just fine on those wheels.

BUT...

If this is for winter tires, you really should consider minus-sizing your wheel and tire package to a 16" or even a 15" wheel. She'll have better traction in the snow with a taller tire and a smaller wheel. So you might get 215/65R16 tires and 16" wheels to go with them. If it's just for winter tires, you could save money by using "steelies" (plain stamped steel wheels) with wheel covers, instead of alloy wheels.

Another thing to think about: Subarus use tire pressure sensors in each wheel. So you're going to need a set of four sensors too. You can buy ordinary ones that are like the ones in the current wheels, but that means a trip to the dealer to have the car's computer paired to the sensors each time you change them out in the spring and fall. Or you can spend a little extra for programmable sensors that can "clone" the current sensors, in which case you only have to set them up once. That's the way I'd go if I were doing it.

Hope this helps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I second for the winter tire/Wheel Down sizing to 16 " , the stamped steel wheels are Way cheaper,and so are the tires.

On my MY 15 I ran this set up with Nokians, and on my New MY18 Sport I run Michelin X Ice 3's, not that we had much in the way of snow in the lower valleys of British Columbia,Canada.

Hope this helps
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand--and melting like a snowflake...”
    Francis Bacon

2018 Sunshine Orange Cross Trek Sport (Can) 6 MT "Tigger"

Thank you all for the feedback and education. I had heard the two terms, "rim" and "wheel" used interchangeably but wrongly, so I now know better and stand corrected. Thank you. I wish I had consulted the forum before buying stock-sized winter tires back in early December and mounting them on existing wheels. Oh well. Lesson learned. Now I guess I have to figure out the most cost effective solution to wheel/TPMS situation. I had planned on buying a set of wheels and having winter tires mounted so could take them off and on each ski season. Thoughts? Don't really like the look of steelies, but have found some inexpensive wheels online.

I think swapping wheels, rather than mounting/demounting tires on the same wheels, is definitely the way to go, so you're on the right track there.

What you'll want are cloneable TPMS sensors like this: https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MX-Sens.../dp/B07FPQSGPM

The catch is that you need the manufacturer's TPMS tool to accomplish the cloning process. Since you probably don't want to drop two or three Franklins on a tool just to use it once, you're probably better off finding a tire shop that can do this for you when they mount the tires.

How much tread is left on your existing stock-sized winter tires?

would all weather tires be a better solution for you? one set of tires and wheels and no need to reprogram sensors. just another option

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jktiffin View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback and education. I had heard the two terms, "rim" and "wheel" used interchangeably but wrongly, so I now know better and stand corrected. Thank you. I wish I had consulted the forum before buying stock-sized winter tires back in early December and mounting them on existing wheels. Oh well. Lesson learned. Now I guess I have to figure out the most cost effective solution to wheel/TPMS situation. I had planned on buying a set of wheels and having winter tires mounted so could take them off and on each ski season. Thoughts? Don't really like the look of steelies, but have found some inexpensive wheels online.
    I say wheel but rim is also used. whether it's "correct"... i'll leave it up to the scholars.

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/mea...nition-of/rims

You are probably right....with hindsight, yes, that probably would have been a workable solution, but is somewhat moot, now that I've bought winter tires. However, I do like the reassurance of winter tires on snowy/icy roads when I go skiing. Oh well....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast