19 inch wheels for 2nd gen?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 19 inch wheels for 2nd gen?

19 inch wheels for 2nd gen?

Hi! just wanna know if anyone has tried 225/50/r19 on their crosstreks? will it have any issues? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Have not heard of anyone here going in that direction. Most go down in wheel size.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by adresjohndel View Post
    Hi! just wanna know if anyone has tried 225/50/r19 on their crosstreks? will it have any issues? thanks
    Why would you want to?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
    Why would you want to?
    i just talked to a mechanic telling me not to put some a/t tires because it will damage my suspension in the long run

i just talked to a mechanic telling me not to put some a/t tires because it will damage my suspension in the long run
    That's interesting, but it doesn't really answer the question. Putting big wheels and skinny tires on this car would degrade its traction and ride quality. Why would you want to do that?

and smashing through every pothole with 19s riding on rubber bands wouldnt?

I don't see why you would have any issues. The car would have a more aggressive stance as far as looks. Ride quality would be a harsher.

Speedometer reading would be on average about .5 mph higher. If you were going 60 mph with 19's the actual would be 60.4 mph.
    You would actually clock very slightly less miles traveled since the 19 takes longer to rotate.

A place like tire rack can tell you the offset needed. That is accomplished by a ring mounted in the hub of the 19 inch wheel.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    I don't see why you would have any issues. The car would have a more aggressive stance as far as looks. Ride quality would be a harsher.
    Snow and rain traction would be diminished, and forget about taking the car off-road. There's a reason people go -2 for all-terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    Speedometer reading would be on average about .5 mph higher. If you were going 60 mph with 19's the actual would be 60.4 mph.
    You would actually clock very slightly less miles traveled since the 19 takes longer to rotate.
    I don't know how you're getting these numbers. Speed offset is based on the outer diameter of the tire, not the wheel; and the tire size OP mentions, 225/50R19, doesn't actually exist.

Tire Rack recommends a 235/45R19 for going +2 on the Crosstrek. Assuming OP is coming from the stock 225/60R17 that comes on the Base and Premium Crosstrek, the stock tire is 27.6" and the 19" tire is 27.3". This results in a 1% speedo error in the opposite direction of what you're saying; if the speedo reads 60 the car's actual speed would be 59.3.

If OP has a Limited with 18" wheels, the stock size is 225/55R18, which has a diameter of 27.7". The speedo error in that case would be 1.4%, so if the speedo reads 60 the car's actual speed would be 59.1.

If OP has a Limited with 18" wheels, the stock size is 225/55R18, which has a diameter of 27.7". The speedo error in that case would be 1.4%, so if the speedo reads 60 the car's actual speed would be 59.1.
    Consequently the odometer does not represent actual miles traveled, posing a legal issue in the odometer declaration on the title for example. The discrepancy wouldn't be huge, but does increase the more miles the car is driven.

Quote Originally Posted by warmwind76 View Post
    Consequently the odometer does not represent actual miles traveled, posing a legal issue in the odometer declaration on the title for example. The discrepancy wouldn't be huge, but does increase the more miles the car is driven.
    Odometers are rarely an accurate representation of actual miles traveled. They have always been off by a little from the factory. Back in the day, you would have a set of gears with a fixed number of teeth that would only get your speedometer and odometer close to where you wanted them to be. You could be off by as much as 10%.

And let's not forget that tire pressure and tread wear will affect the accuracy of your speedometer. Losing 8/32" of tread from new to old is a full 1/2" diameter change on the tire. And that's 1.8% on a 27.5" tire.

Odometers are never 100% accurate. It's physically impossible to make them so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast