Model Year 2018 and Newer Best bang-for-the-buck TPMS

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best bang-for-the-buck TPMS

Best bang-for-the-buck TPMS

Since my 2018 XV doesn't include TPMS, I'm planning on installing one. I don't have a clue which one will suit my car as I'm a car noob Do you guys have any recommendation? For a TPMS system, is it almost always recommended that the sensors be put inside the tires to deter theft? Any disadvantages in doing that?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Tire pressure monitors are standard in the US.
    2016 Crosstrek Limited Crystal White / Black leather
    (GRD - 23) Moonroof Package W/Navigation/Eyesight
    Auto-dim Mirror/Homelink + Alarm/shock sensor + Side moldings

Polk Audio DB651 front speakers + de Auto Key 5000k HID kit
    Alla Lighting LED backup 921 800 Lumen
    Philips 9011 HIR1 Diode Dynamics XML2 5000k Fog Lights
    SpyTec A118-C Dash Cam

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

They are inside the tire, and they have to be Subaru specific. There is a thread about this elsewhere on this forum. Use AstoKats search to find it. Sorry can't hypertext.

artosa
    '18 Premium DGM Low-tech, "StealthGeezer"
    "I'm not an expert at anything" and "Perspective is Everything"

Quote Originally Posted by artosa View Post
    They are inside the tire, and they have to be Subaru specific. There is a thread about this elsewhere on this forum. Use AstoKats search to find it. Sorry can't hypertext.

artosa
    I don't understand though. Are you saying I can't use third-party TPMS systems?

Subaru, Schrader, Autokay. They're all fine for the Subaru Crosstrek. They're just sensors. Search Amazon for Subaru TPMS sensor and you're on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
    Subaru, Schrader, Autokay. They're all fine for the Subaru Crosstrek. They're just sensors. Search Amazon for Subaru TPMS sensor and you're on your way.
    Ok, I see a lof of the sensors themselves at Amazon but what about the actual monitor/display for these sensors?

You might have to go through Subaru for the sensors. Sensors have to be married to the ECU in the vehicle (assuming 2018+ is operating the same as previous years and I believe it is). Since you are in a market that does not require TPMS, you might also have to have settings changed in the ECU to enable TPMS. Dealer may or may not be willing to help you with that. Without knowing the vehicle has the capability unlocked, you will be taking a chance trying to get it to work (it might and it might not... depends how Subaru set it up).
    2014 Tangerine Orange Pearl XV Crosstrek Limited
    2013 Tangerine Scream Ford Focus ST ST3

I purchased these for my '95 Trooper, i like them, so far so good.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The "integrated unit" can be coded as TPMS or "Non-TPMS" (might be helpful for those in the US that want to swap tires or don't care for TPMS), meaning, it MIGHT be possible to get the genuine subaru sensors to work.. The wireless receiver in the car, at least in the US, is part of the same module for the keyless entry. The receiver is tucked up underneath the rear shelf I believe or in the area between the rear seats and the trunk.. I am not sure if there is a different part number though for TPMS vs Non-TPMS.. I would look online in a parts catalog and see if there are two different part numbers for TPMS vs non-tpms.. If not, I would think it could be as easy as a software change and adding the tire sensors, you'd need a dealer scantool. The next ? would be whether your instrument cluster has the TPMS light... Again, with a dealer scan tool I think you can light up all of the dummy lights and you could see if one is there for the TPMS.

Quote Originally Posted by 13ST14XV View Post
    You might have to go through Subaru for the sensors. Sensors have to be married to the ECU in the vehicle (assuming 2018+ is operating the same as previous years and I believe it is). Since you are in a market that does not require TPMS, you might also have to have settings changed in the ECU to enable TPMS. Dealer may or may not be willing to help you with that. Without knowing the vehicle has the capability unlocked, you will be taking a chance trying to get it to work (it might and it might not... depends how Subaru set it up).
    Right. But why can't I simply use third-party TPMS systems that don't interface with the car's ECU (in case my dealer won't help me, which is highly the case here)?

Quote Originally Posted by DallasJW View Post
    I purchased these for my '95 Trooper, i like them, so far so good.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The "integrated unit" can be coded as TPMS or "Non-TPMS" (might be helpful for those in the US that want to swap tires or don't care for TPMS), meaning, it MIGHT be possible to get the genuine subaru sensors to work.. The wireless receiver in the car, at least in the US, is part of the same module for the keyless entry. The receiver is tucked up underneath the rear shelf I believe or in the area between the rear seats and the trunk.. I am not sure if there is a different part number though for TPMS vs Non-TPMS.. I would look online in a parts catalog and see if there are two different part numbers for TPMS vs non-tpms.. If not, I would think it could be as easy as a software change and adding the tire sensors, you'd need a dealer scantool. The next ? would be whether your instrument cluster has the TPMS light... Again, with a dealer scan tool I think you can light up all of the dummy lights and you could see if one is there for the TPMS.
    What do you mean by "integrated unit"?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast