Applies to All Model Years The Chicken Trailer

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: The Chicken Trailer

The Chicken Trailer (AKA Mobile Chicken Coop)

Welp, I did it.

Ive had this idea running around my head for close to a year, maybe longer, about building a small adventure trailer. Some of those who follow my build journal for the car saw that I installed a hitch receiver this week, and it's because I pulled the trigger on a trailer last weekend.

Its the back end off a 3rd gen Toyota truck (78-83). I wanted something on the smaller side and lightweight since the Crosstrek isnt going to be winning ANY type of sled pull lol. It's already registered and plated here in California.

The primary use will be for camping/exploring and all around fun. The secondary use will be to use it to move things and/or dump runs etc.

Ill keep the second post of this thread updated with "mods"/plans. The 3rd post will start the pics from the day I bought it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

The day I picked it up

All around it is SOLID, very little surface rust and no rot. Has a functioning tailgate and the taillights are wired/working.

Ill be removing the lumber rack. Then remove the bed tool box and make a base for it on the front of the trailer. The plan is to get some type of tonneau cover (or similar) while building a smaller exo-cage above it to mount a roof top tent.

I want decent access to the bed to store camping things, but also want the tent to be same height, or preferably lower, than the roofline of the Crosstrek.

Its a start!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I have a suspicion this is going to be awesome. More lights are in the future too !
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    I have a suspicion this is going to be awesome. More lights are in the future too !
    I wouldnt be surprised if more lights appear haha!

Primary goal is to get it weather/dust proof. So removing the rack/toolbox and getting a cover/shell, then filling in some small holes that were used to run wires/whatever from the truck. Get some new seals around the tailgate and maybe tail lights.

The lights (running, brake, turn signal) right now are all running off a single bulb in each housing. I think I would like the turn/emergency to use the upper amber of the lights as it would have from the factory. So ill see if thats possible with the 4 wire harness. Id assume it would be as easy as plugging in a new bulb in that socket and splicing the wire to it.

Ill probably just Rino line the whole thing and never have to "worry" about it getting scratched lol.

Looks super clean with just some surface rust. Are you planning on painting it. Somehow I think this project is going to grow. Any plan to change out the rims ? Spraying the bed is probably the best way to go. Will also help to keep things from sliding around. The box is a sweet addition for carrying smaller items. Heck, the diamond plate tool box runs about $250 new. This is going to be one unique rig behind the Crosstrek. I still bet you add some sort of work light...
    Wool When Wet Is Warm

Looks super clean with just some surface rust. Are you planning on painting it. Somehow I think this project is going to grow. Any plan to change out the rims ? Spraying the bed is probably the best way to go. Will also help to keep things from sliding around. The box is a sweet addition for carrying smaller items. Heck, the diamond plate tool box runs about $250 new. This is going to be one unique rig behind the Crosstrek. I still bet you add some sort of work light...
    Well I meant Rino line ALL of it, inside and out haha! No cares about anything hehe.

Yeah, ill probably swap out some wheels at some point. The tires are only 8 months old, so no rush to switch them out right now.

The upside to Rinoing the whole thing is you won't have to wash and wax it !
    Wool When Wet Is Warm

This is friggin awesome...will definitely be following this thread!

Is there a reason not to gut the rear differential to save weight & friction?

The upside to Rinoing the whole thing is you won't have to wash and wax it !
    My kinda maintenance! lol Pressure washer will do great

Quote Originally Posted by xvsix View Post
    This is friggin awesome...will definitely be following this thread!

Is there a reason not to gut the rear differential to save weight & friction?
    Ive thought about that! Ill look into it more for sure. I know right now it has fluid and does not leak, so as of right now, it works haha.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast