Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Doca’s XV: Stamford

84K views 996 replies 35 participants last post by  Doca 
#1 · (Edited)
Doca’s XV: Stamford

Toyed with starting a journal for a while now and because it won’t fit anywhere else, today is the day.

Today is a sad day. At the same time I was having fun with MSPaint

Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive design Line Automotive parking light

From here:

Roof Property Home House Building

Came this:

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle door Wheel Asphalt

That did this:

Automotive exterior Vehicle Vehicle door Car Bumper

Which resulted in this:

Text Receipt Font Document

See less See more
#2 ·
For those curious, the wafer thin paint that people have mentioned here has survived without a scratch.

#4 ·
#6 ·
:jackie-chan-meme-sm

Holy Sorry to see this, I feel your pain

Hope it's fixed to your satisfaction

Troutbum

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks all. First dent I’ve ever gotten in a car.

Because it’s a Japanese car I asked if it was in yen. That’s wouldn’t have been so bad, like $15. The problem is the main impact was right on the contour line so they can’t just pop it out. Th job includes blending paint so now I have daymares of cutting and future issues.

The worse part is that it’s actially kinda hard to see with the naked eye and I’m at a point of conflict. Fix it when there’s no paint damage but maybe introduce a problem area later or, live with it and let it nag at me everyday.

He’s going to gets nice relaxing bath, inside and out, this weekend. Then ice cream... cars like ice cream, right?

Going through insurance because that’s what it’s there for. Down it’s down to pocket change for thr repair.

#10 ·
500 deductible and no impact to rates, so I’ll save $850. I would have paid 500 to pop it out yesterday and been done with it. My biggest concern is that it’s not going to be a solid piece of factory sheet metal anymore.

#11 ·
Just noticed why the estimate has paint blending. Now that he’s dry, I can see all scratches the ice rocket left behind. Hopefully they can reshape the steel into it’s original form without any cutting/drillng.

#13 ·
Hi Doca, late to the party...Feel your pain and sorrow at this happening. Like me you are a detail oriented person who really takes care of their ride. All in all though it really isn't hat bad. Once it is fixed you'll move on.
Best of luck in a nice clean repair. Spring is just around the corner and we will be back at our polishing and pride !

Reactions: Colonel C
#16 ·
Ouch, lol.

Insurance lady will be here by 7:30 tomorrow morning.

#17 ·
I received my insurance estimate and scheduled the car cosmetic surgery hospital. It's the same shop I got my personal estimate from last week.

My post-insurance adjuster estimate is almost $2000 and 7 days. When I booked the shop, I told them their own estimate said $1350 and 3-4 days so I asked about the $700 and 3 day difference but couldn't get a sensible answer. All I got in return was, "That's what the paper says". My best guess is kickbacks, lol.

Just for fun I looked up the replacement body panel. It's about $830 CDN but I don't think it comes painted. It probably wouldn't cost much to paint because its almost no labour; hang, spray, bake, spray, bake X3(?) over two days. What $300-400 for a single panel? And then there's the PITA to remove and install but I don't think it'll take a professional body shop (that's associated to my Subaru dealer) very long to do it. I think $2000-$2400 would probably replace the part. It's close enough that if I was just paying for it, I would have investigated that route and probably changed my shop time to one or two days (depending on shop priorities).

#18 ·
Heading to the body shop tomorrow. Wish I didn’t have to. The dent isn’t all that bad and the paint isn’t damaged but it bugs me. I hope it comes back factory fresh and doesn’t deteriorate faster than anything else.

#21 ·
Thanks, guys. I'm trying to figure out a way to spoil him when he gets better but it's too cold for a full inside/outside bath.

#24 ·
Sadly I'm out of ideas for toys and mud is too dirty (right now).

The only off-roading we've done so far is to have purposefully driven over a curb. He's young, thought it was great fun and giggled. I'm afraid if I don't keep him under control I'll never get him off the sidewalks.

#26 ·
Today was the earliest he'd be back.

I feel like Princess Vespa waiting to see if her nose job went well.

Hair Face Facial expression Chin Hairstyle

Now, what's the combination to my luggage?

#27 ·
Stamford comes home today.

I have some serious doubts about the body shop. Their estimate to me said $1330 and 3-4 days. The insurance lady took a picture and said $1850 and 7-8 days. It was ready in 4 days for a total cost of $2100!!!! That’s only a couple hundred less than replacing the panel altogether!

They said the needed to replace a seal for $250. Seal, what seal? Not like I should care all that much because insurance is covering it but how can I trust their work if they add a shocking $800 to their professional quote?

It tells me that Mendes is either:
1. Overcharging/committing insurance fraud;
2. Giving kickbacks to the adjuster; or
3. Their shop knows nothing about body work.

I know which number I’m leaning towards.

#30 · (Edited)
I'm sure he looks fine. Regarding option 3, I'm more concerned about 3-10 years from now. BTW, I don't think it's option 3.

I've got plans for a wound area warm water bath, clay bar rub down and a fresh coat of Reload to supplement the missing ceramic coating until I can reapply it all in April.

#32 · (Edited)
I never did try to set that but it turns out its the same combination as the air shield.

#34 ·
I don't think PIN access works on the MT models because we have the old keyfob, circa 2002. Why, oh why can't they put a push button start on a manual? They used to and it worked just fine.

#36 ·