Applies to all Model Years 60K Maintenance

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By subienewbie
  • 1 Post By dwasifar
  • 1 Post By subienewbie

Thread: 60K Maintenance

60K Maintenance

My 2014 hybrid needs an oil change, and it's also coming up on 60K. Is there anything in the 60K maintenance shedule that I need to get done, or should I just get an oil change? I keep reading about these maintenance services costing something like $800. Most of it is inspection, except for it recommends replacing brake fluid, spark plugs and A/C, fuel and oil filters.
    I'm sure it would be good to get all the things done and inspected, but $800 sounds crazy high.
    I should just find a good mechanic, which is kind of like finding a unicorn, but I know they're out there somewhere.
    So maybe Part 2 of my question would be tips on finding a good mechanic

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

You can always a la carte things. I prefer to do the air filters myself because it's easier and much cheaper even with a genuine part. But, I would say that the spark plugs at minimum should be done with the oil. Can easily youtube the filter stuff.

You might also want to do a front and rear diff drain and fill if you didn't do it at 30k.

For reference my dealer charges about $200 total for f&r diffs, $250 for plugs, and around $75 for synthetic oil change, and $20 for a tire rotation.

Pilot
    Thank you for your response. That was so helpful, and I really appreciate it!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot1226 View Post
    You can always a la carte things. I prefer to do the air filters myself because it's easier and much cheaper even with a genuine part. But, I would say that the spark plugs at minimum should be done with the oil. Can easily youtube the filter stuff.

You might also want to do a front and rear diff drain and fill if you didn't do it at 30k.

For reference my dealer charges about $200 total for f&r diffs, $250 for plugs, and around $75 for synthetic oil change, and $20 for a tire rotation.
    Those sound like reasonable prices to me, if you went to a more independent shop you could maybe get the prices a little cheaper, probably not by much, though. In my opinion, I'd do it all except the fuel filter, but no reason they all have to be done at the same time.

That's the conservative route. In reality you could wait until you are in the low 100's to do the fluids.. Have your brakes been replaced? If not, I'd wait until you have the brakes done, then they are at the points of draining when doing the pads.

The plugs aren't nearly as easy to replace as some other cars because of the horizontal cylinders.. So it takes a little bit of work to get to them. But someone who has done the work before could get it done in an hour the way I remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by subienewbie View Post
    My 2014 hybrid needs an oil change, and it's also coming up on 60K. Is there anything in the 60K maintenance shedule that I need to get done, or should I just get an oil change? I keep reading about these maintenance services costing something like $800. Most of it is inspection, except for it recommends replacing brake fluid, spark plugs and A/C, fuel and oil filters.
    I'm sure it would be good to get all the things done and inspected, but $800 sounds crazy high.
    I should just find a good mechanic, which is kind of like finding a unicorn, but I know they're out there somewhere.
    So maybe Part 2 of my question would be tips on finding a good mechanic
    We delayed the 60k service on my wife's Forester until about 75k. I took care of most of the easy stuff myself, and we had the dealer do the spark plugs and brake fluid flush. (Went to dealer instead of independent shop because we had a $250 SOA service coupon.)

Both of those services resulted in noticeable improvements. The engine starts easier and runs smoother, and the brakes are firmer. It would have been better to have done the service on schedule instead of waiting.

Hey, thanks for the responses. I went to the dealer yesterday and just got an oil change since I have 56K, so I'll do the 60K service on the next oil change. But I found out that the 60K is $675, and they drain and replace all the fluids, not just inspect. So that doesn't sound bad, huh? Plus, if I wait I should be able to pick up on a service coupon.
    Dwasifar, how did you get a $250 coupon?! I wanna be on that maling list

Quote Originally Posted by subienewbie View Post
    Dwasifar, how did you get a $250 coupon?! I wanna be on that maling list
    Basically I sweet-talked it out of them unintentionally.

It came out of not being able to get clear information about whether or not the fuel filter is part of the 60k service. Some lists say it is, some say it isn't, and I talked to one dealer who flat-out refused to do it.

Since the fuel filter is a big job (it's in the gas tank and you have to disassemble the sender unit to get it out) I wanted to be sure, so I called Subaru customer service for a definitive answer. I usually do well on the phone during this kind of call, partly due to having a smooth, reassuring voice (I've worked as a voice-over artist), but mostly just because I take great care to always be polite and friendly, which immediately sets you head and shoulders above most of the calls they receive. I explained to the nice lady that I was having trouble getting good information, and one dealer had refused to do the job at all, so is that actually something Subaru doesn't want done? We had a very nice conversation and at the end of it she emailed me a service guide for my specific Forester, by VIN, and on her own initiative gave me the coupon as well. I hadn't asked for that, and I fell over myself thanking her for it. It was a great customer service experience.

The $250 coupon made the difference between going to a local shop and going to the dealer. It came out less expensive at the dealer with the coupon.

If you're wondering, the advice is to leave the fuel filter alone unless there's a code indicating a fuel flow restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
    Basically I sweet-talked it out of them unintentionally.

The $250 coupon made the difference between going to a local shop and going to the dealer. It came out less expensive at the dealer with the coupon.

You lucky silver-tongued dog

If you're wondering, the advice is to leave the fuel filter alone unless there's a code indicating a fuel flow restriction.

Thank you for that!
    And to the folks that run this forum, I cannot even tell you how much I love it. There's a ton of valuable info on here, and everyone is just really nice (no rude, snarky people) and so willing to share their advice to help others.