Hybrid model year 2019 and newer Official Crosstrek Hybrid press release - lots of info and photos! - Page 3

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Official Crosstrek Hybrid press release - lots of info and photos!

I'm not getting it, both literally and figuratively. This really ain't much more than an elec-tricked up Limited, with 500+ extra porky pounds for the juice boxes. Lower overall hp. No t-spare, just can o' air. Less storage. Smaller gas tank. For up to 17 glorious miles, you ride the spark woo-hoo! but speed limited: "The Crosstrek Hybrid is capable of speeds up to 65 mph when in full electric mode..." So 65 mph steady on spark only for 10 miles? 5 miles?

So the range is 480 miles. Kinda can almost get that now with current gas-only gobbler CrossTrek.

So you can do the up to 17 miles short daily store hop or commute without gassing the tank, but you still have to remember to plug in the juice boxes every night.

Kinda cool though with the electro-blue color, I mean Lagoon Blue Pearl, and the chrome-flashy accents, because electric! Sorta.

Cool factor aside, I don't think this semi-E-CT is worth the extra blow.

I was starting to go down that road of the curse of the battery, from first digging up the stuff to making the batteries to disposing of the batteries at EOL, but that would be full-on rant-rave-mode, goods and bads, pros and cons, fuel taxes for roads, and on and on and on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by warmwind76 View Post
    I'm not getting it, both literally and figuratively. This really ain't much more than an elec-tricked up Limited, with 500+ extra porky pounds for the juice boxes. Lower overall hp. No t-spare, just can o' air. Less storage. Smaller gas tank. For up to 17 glorious miles, you ride the spark woo-hoo! but speed limited: "The Crosstrek Hybrid is capable of speeds up to 65 mph when in full electric mode..." So 65 mph steady on spark only for 10 miles? 5 miles?

So the range is 480 miles. Kinda can almost get that now with current gas-only gobbler CrossTrek.

So you can do the up to 17 miles short daily store hop or commute without gassing the tank, but you still have to remember to plug in the juice boxes every night.

Kinda cool though with the electro-blue color, I mean Lagoon Blue Pearl, and the chrome-flashy accents, because electric! Sorta.

I was starting to go down that road of the curse of the battery, from first digging up the stuff to making the batteries to disposing of the batteries at EOL, but that would be full-on rant-rave-mode, goods and bads, pros and cons, fuel taxes for roads, and on and on and on.
    It very much depends on what type of driving you do. If most of your trips are more than 17, or even 10 miles, I agree that this PHEV is not for you.

However, in my case, the vast majority of my trips (90+%) are less than 10 miles, most actually less than 5 miles. As a result, on those short trips, my gas only Crosstrek is just using extra gas to try and warm up, and never gets to proper operating temperature where it uses gas more efficiently. It's not the best for the engine either, because when it doesn't warm up to full temp, it is also not burning off the moisture and gas that accumulates in the oil.

I said 90% of my trips are short. That doesn't mean to say most of my mileage is with short trips. The other 10% of trips are going skiing, hiking, to the cabin, and other longer trips, and account for a good portion of my total mileage.

That said, I can see myself definitely saving some money in gas with my short trips. Whether that is enough to make up for the extra cost of the PHEV, can't say without more calculations. It's all a moot point for me, though, as I already have my Crosstrek, and certainly no intention of trading it in for the PHEV version.

I should also mention that our other car (wife drives it mostly) is a Prius, and I have noticed that with the short trips it also uses more gas, since it does the same thing as the Crosstrek with having to warm up first before becoming efficient.

Anyway, my whole point is that the PHEV is certainly not for everyone, but it might be right for some, and perhaps in my case (if I already didn't have a Crosstrek).

XV plugin would work great for me

Quote Originally Posted by warmwind76 View Post

Would work great for me. Half-mile uphill to my neighborhood, occasionally late night before plows are out. Then uphill grade to my driveway on a private, unpaved street that is never plowed and badly maintained. Turns to mud sometimes. 17 miles is enough for me to do my daily stuff and plug in again for the next day. 480 range w gas is more than my bladder can handle. I buy a fully loaded new car every 10 years (always delighted with the advances) and this is a candidate for 2020. BUT: I hate the hatchback trend to turn the rear window into a porthole with black glass to cover up lazy engineering. And my garage ceiling, and hence my open garage door, is lower than usual. Cannot have the open hatch hitting the open garage door. So I'll visit the local dealer to check rear visibility and open hatch height, assuming 2020 is like 2019 in that regard, hybrid or not.

I have outgrown turning corners on rails (my Audi Quattro was a great snow car), but this model has suspension mods to account for the weight in back. Coming from a 3rd-gen 2010 Prius (with extra options no longer offered) with mileage varying between 51 and 31MPG to another car, this is likely a hit to mileage, but the E range makes up for a lot of bad short-trip mileage. Not sure about the total lack of even a tiny spare tire. If I were to buy a 2019 xv with all the options I want, about $40K MSRP before rebates--no problem.

Meanwhile, I am reading everything online about this and other cars before making a decision.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

In CA it gets you in carpool lanes as a solo driver. That is worth a fair amount.

Yeah, apparently that's also why the ones that are a few years old with an expired HOV are worth significantly less. I think I saw a Youtube video that was suggestive of an i3 with around 30k miles on it for $10k... around here in the northeast they're around 20-25.

I guess I don't understand who would want this? Don't get me wrong, it's a Crosstrek. So cool! But...it doesn't get significantly better gas mileage than a gas powered Crosstrek. Doesn't have the cargo capacity of a gas powered Crosstrek. It's heavier than a gas powered Crosstrek. Doesn't travel very far on battery power alone. And it's pretty spendy even after tax credits. Feather in your cap? "I drive a hybrid."? I guess I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by amx304 View Post
    I guess I don't understand who would want this? Don't get me wrong, it's a Crosstrek. So cool! But...it doesn't get significantly better gas mileage than a gas powered Crosstrek. Doesn't have the cargo capacity of a gas powered Crosstrek. It's heavier than a gas powered Crosstrek. Doesn't travel very far on battery power alone. And it's pretty spendy even after tax credits. Feather in your cap? "I drive a hybrid."? I guess I just don't get it.
    Wife drives about 7 miles each way to our office, where she can plug in, so with trips to the bank and lunch, most of her weekly driving will be on electric. The gas mileage is about 20% better, and gas here in CA is almost always north of $4 gallon. The cost is not all that much different after the $4,500 federal and if you are lower income $1,500 state rebate.

And you get HOV access for 4 years.

All in all, not a slam dunk, but not bad either.

The interior is significantly more spiffy. The car is supposedly a second faster 0 to 60 (I was always looking for a bit more in our 2016 Crosstrek we just gave to our soon to be college grad daughter). The heated steering wheel is nice for those chilly so cal mornings. And most importantly, wife wants one. She loved her 2016 Crosstrek much more than she liked her 2007 E class Mercedes. It’s not like price or rationality drives all purchases. She signs off on my Moto Guzzi, KTM, and BMW motorcycles, why deny her the car she wants, which is still half the cost of a moderate Tesla 3 or a nice Audi.

Quote Originally Posted by amx304 View Post
    I ordered one in March in NJ and I live in PA. My commute is 17mi total each day so I would be all electric so much better than a regular crosstrek. I don't need it much for cargo so it was easy to ignore the loss from the battery pack. I didn't want the moonroof package either so that's why I'm waiting on the order. The dealer had the moonroof package one on the lot and I didn't want to pay the extra $2500. All in all, I got the car for just under $32k including tax and after the tax credit. I'll be saving at least $1k per year in fuel savings alone, if not more.

I just took delivery of mine two day ago. The reason that I purchased it is because here on Long Island it qualifies for entrance into the hov lane with a single person. That time saving for me is HUGE...I came out of a Prius c because I wanted all wheel drive and a little more room.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast