New member. Question on buying out of state...

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

LightbulbNew member. Question on buying out of state...

Hi. I'm soon to be a new Crosstrek owner. (Well actually, daughter is.)

My daughter is a California resident. I'd like to know if any of you California residents have experience buying a 2019 Crosstrek out of state, EG Nevada. (We can't find the color we want (kahki gray) at a California dealership. However, there might be one at a Reno dealership.)

I understand that Subarus are by default California emissions compliant. Perhaps someone can confirm this, and let me know if there would be any issues or hassles buying the car in Nevada. (Eg, need to register in both with the DMVs of both NE and CA.)

Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I'm not a CA resident but I have bought three Subarus out of state, one as recently as last week. In all three cases I bought in CO but titled and registered the cars in my home state of AZ.

If your daughter is going to title/register her new car in CA, she should not have to register it in NV. However, she will need the dealer to provide a temporary NV license tag which should be part of the dealer's doc fee.

Where she pay sales tax is something else to determine. In my case I was exempt from CO sales tax but paid sales tax upon registration in my home state. However, I only had to pay the AZ state sales tax and not my local tax which was an $800 savings.
    Last edited by SubaruBill; 06-11-2019 at 11:27 PM.
    2019 Crosstrek Limited Sunshine Orange

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBill View Post
    I'm not a CA resident but I have bought three Subarus out of state, one as recently as last week. In all three cases I bought in CO but titled and registered the cars in my home state of AZ.

If your daughter is going to title/register her new car in CA, she should not have to register it in NV. However, she will need the dealer to provide a temporary NV license tag which should be part of the dealer's doc fee.

Where she pay sales tax is something else to determine. In my case I was exempt from CO sales tax but paid sales tax upon registration in my home state. However, I only had to pay the AZ state sales tax and not my local tax which was an $800 savings.

OK thanks for your comments!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Is ordering the car from CA out of the question?

You can either have the car shipped to a Subaru dealership where you want to buy it from or order one and wait about 2 months.

I bought a Jaguar in Nevada. Very easy. The only hard part was writing a huge check to the CA DMV when I registered it...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

I live in California and bought mine in Oregon. No sales tax in Oregon so I had to pay it California. Oregon's titling process is going through an overhaul so it took me three months to get the title and real plates, got pulled over twice because they couldn't see the trip permit well through the tint. Not sure if any of this applies to Nevada, and mine was used from a dealership. Good luck and end enjoy.

We live in North Lake Tahoe, just 30 miles from Reno. We have purchased one car in Reno, a used Tacoma from a dealer. It was a major hassle that took months to resolve. The dealer failed to send the correct paperwork to the CADMV. In addition to getting the car smogged in CA and paying sales tax to the DMV, we also had to get an official weight certificate fro a CAT scale, and get an appointment at the DMV to get a VIN verification. So we say, never again. That said, some dealers must do a better job. We see a ton of Reno Lithia Subarus around town. We purchased one of our Crosstreks at Albany Subaru and the second at Maita Subaru. Both were slightly used and awesome deals.