Model Year 2018 and Newer New Subaru XV

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

LightbulbNew Subaru XV

hi guys, collected my 2018 XV 1.6 recently and i'm experiencing something strange with my car.

basically, when I am moving off slowly, stepping on the accelerator pedal slightly, sometimes I can feel that the car jerks a few times, like knocking back and forth.

usually happens when the RPM is still between 1k - 2k.

but if i accelerate more or driving at a higher speed, then everything's fine.

would like to check with you whether if anyone of you have experience this before.

thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

There are two things I feel that you could be describing

1. At very light throttle and slow speed, it behaves like a manual in 1st gear. If it picks up speed then reduces lightly, you can feel it go back and forth just like a manual. I actually like this because I can control slow speeds with out the brake.

2. The other thing you could be describing is the pulsing feeling on light acceleration. I attributed that to being a 4-cyl when I’m used to driving a v6 (haven’t owned a 4-cyl in over 15 years).

I consider both to be normal. If what you’re experiencing is similar to one above, a little more throttle avoids it...except in stop and go traffic.

Welcome! Mine used to jerk when new below 25 mph, but at 12k miles is quite a bit smoother.

artosa
    '18 Premium DGM Low-tech, "StealthGeezer"
    "I'm not an expert at anything" and "Perspective is Everything"

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

You are babying it too much. Using the paddle shifters get it up to 5K rpm's a couple times per hundred miles. When it hits 5K+ get off the gas for a few seconds and then slide it back to auto.

Doesn't hurt a new car ar all doing that after it gets say 100 miles (or less on it) Manual really can't not say that bc Joesixpack will screw it up. I have 700 miles on it now.

My 2018 does the same thing and it has 10,000 miles on it. I bought it from dealer with 5,000 miles as a service vehicle so no idea how they broke it in but just try and get up to speed more quickly without jack rabbit starts. I think the one post was right who said - it’s a 4 cylinder!