Model Year 2018 and Newer What data does Subaru collect on us?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: What data does Subaru collect on us?

What data does Subaru collect on us?

I read this article in the New York Times about new cars collecting massive amounts of data on the drivers.
    Here is the link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/20/o...it_ty_20190520

Does Subaru collect all this data too? What do they do with it? Would they actually know if you have gained weight? Are they tracking where you go?

I'm not a conspiracy fanatic but it would be good to see it spelled out - what is gathered and what is sold to other companies.

The article also talks about car manufacturers not releasing info to non dealer repair shops. After warranty, this forces owners to go to dealers for repairs.

I'd just like to hear other opinions about this.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    I read this article in the New York Times about new cars collecting massive amounts of data on the drivers.
    Here is the link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/20/o...it_ty_20190520

Does Subaru collect all this data too? What do they do with it? Would they actually know if you have gained weight? Are they tracking where you go?

I'm not a conspiracy fanatic but it would be good to see it spelled out - what is gathered and what is sold to other companies.

The article also talks about car manufacturers not releasing info to non dealer repair shops. After warranty, this forces owners to go to dealers for repairs.

I'd just like to hear other opinions about this.
    Thanks
    It depends on your model, the one with Eyesight definitely collect your driving data. If you sync your phone with the headunit, they have all your contacts and message that you ever communicated through the HU as well as GPS location. If you mark your home on your map, of course they also can identify where is your home too.

Super Moderator
    We are really talking about 2 different issues here -

1. Collecting information
    a. in order to actually function - ie. your home on the map so that you can always plan a route back home easily.
    b. in order to predict what you want next - ie refine a list of radio stations or maybe GPS destination when you are in a new location.
    c. for the sake of collecting information - ie maybe to see how the users use their products or just to collect data for some other purpose

2. The right to repair.

Personally, I believe that anyone who puts information into a connected device these days should understand that the information will be like e-mail - once you hit 'send' (or save in the case of inputting information), you may lose control of that information. While companies have the responsibility to provide clear messaging (not the 20 page user agreements) as well as options, unless there is an enforcement mechanism in place, we as consumers can't always expect that every little bit of information will follow that as there are so many bits of information and different definitions of what's considered personal data - ie if they collect your weight, is it OKAY if they can't identify who's weight it was? The other side of things is that many manufacturers use a lot of the information they gather from the various sensors to actually see how well the car is performing as the parts age - ie do the sensors read the same in a new car as well as one that is 5 years old? Or how about two 5-year-old cars but one has 100,000 miles and the other has 20,000?

The second issue of The right to repair goes for not only cars but most bits of technology or most anything you buy. And it doesn't stop at not releasing information but may also extend to parts as well. There's a whole movement - called oddly enough "the right to repair" - that's focused on this very point but is mainly for consumer electronics pointed at companies like Apple and how they seal up products like phones (or wireless earbuds) so that they can't be repaired easily and will need to basically be thrown out for any 'simple' issue like a battery replacement.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

^ Or TPMS sensors and dead batteries in the case of automobiles.

IMHO the biggest invasion into our privacy are the newest smart phones. Leave the phones at home or turned off in the car and you're a whole lot more stealth.

The best you can do to protect your privacy is to;

Stay off Facebook, your phone, walking any streets in a city, driving major roadways, having internet access, using credit cards, google searches, navigation products, credit cards, taking bank loans and flying commercial airlines. Only use cash. With that said, unless you live completely off the grid it's already too late..
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

And the only way to change it is ... climb back in the womb you came from. Security cams everywhere, in stores including Mom & Pop stores, in parking lots, on light poles ... facial recognition software in every branch of law enforcement. Are we paranoid yet? If so, back to the womb, or to the complete wilderness, the outreaches of Alaska maybe. I prefer the soft easy life, fancy toys including the latest electronics. I like being able to order more toys and meals on my iPhone. You need a driver's license to drive a car, get that and you become a piece of data to your state. Some states use that info to register you to vote, and your data gets entered into the state database tracking where you live, have you moved and if so where to. And states share that information with other states. It prevents you from annoying some politicians by voting more than once even in a different state. Do you work, get a paycheck, pay taxes from it or file after for your return? Were you born in a hospital or registered as born at home? You start out life as data and it follows you wherever and whenever. Are you paranoid enough yet? I prefer to ignore it and enjoy my life without worrying about every little thing. You can only beat it by becoming a total hermit ... or by climbing back into the womb.
    2018 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium, Sunshine Orange w/ Eyesight, Moonroof, Homelink Mirror, Change Assist, Blindspot Detection, Whippet in cargo area

Quote Originally Posted by kr_xv View Post
    If you sync your phone with the headunit, they have all your contacts and message that you ever communicated through the HU as well as GPS location.
    Do you know for a fact that the HU sends this data out?

It has never been easier and it will become easier still to "hide in the open"!

Quote Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kr_xv View Post
    If you sync your phone with the headunit, they have all your contacts and message that you ever communicated through the HU as well as GPS location.
    Do you know for a fact that the HU sends this data out?
    I dont think the HU will send in typical usage scenario, but there is always probability for any system connected to Internet to get hacked or remote controlled, so it is possible even though we donot know how renote is the chance

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast