Model Year 2018 and Newer What data does Subaru collect on us? - Page 3

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: What data does Subaru collect on us?

Us old farts want to have fun too, not to mention, we'll show them youngsters what REAL music is LOL And we haven't strayed that far, we're still talking paranoia strikes deep

Last edited by TheKnack; 06-01-2019 at 11:52 PM.
    2018 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium, Sunshine Orange w/ Eyesight, Moonroof, Homelink Mirror, Change Assist, Blindspot Detection, Whippet in cargo area

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnack View Post
    If you mean me .. damn right. 1947, and still working full-time doing technical support. Brain strain, no physical labor involved.
    I'm 75, retired at 73-1/2 after 23 years of coast-to-coast, border-to-border travel. Big mistake. I'm quickly losing brain mass...and.....synapses...are.......dying......... .Daisy Daisy give ..me...your.....answer.........do......

<remember HAL?>

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Hick View Post
    I'm 75, retired at 73-1/2 after 23 years of coast-to-coast, border-to-border travel. Big mistake. I'm quickly losing brain mass...and.....synapses...are.......dying......... .Daisy Daisy give ..me...your.....answer.........do......

<remember HAL?>
    That's why I keep plugging along. Building servers remotely over the INet, building the OS and installing SQL. Training people how to use our program, resolving problems, setting up remote voting stations ... I have a bad back, but my brain gets more exercise than it needs. My head is starting to look like E.T.

2018 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium, Sunshine Orange w/ Eyesight, Moonroof, Homelink Mirror, Change Assist, Blindspot Detection, Whippet in cargo area

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnack View Post
    That's why I keep plugging along. Building servers remotely over the INet, building the OS and installing SQL.
    I'm assuming Linux. What SQL? Mysql, Mariadb, Postgresql? Something else?

Also assuming these are cloud instances. AWS?

These are county elections servers. Microsoft server 2002 way back, now replacing those 2008 and 2012 updates with Microsoft Windows Server 2019. And Microsoft SQL now doing 2017 SQL, the latest released so far. SQL 2019 is not production release yet. Some are dual Database and application, some are separate DB and APP serves. No clouds in Elections databasing. Some are virtual machines, some hardware machines depending on the county. Even remote voting stations are very tight VPN's into the county itself, with elections being a separate domain.

It's interesting that Orwell released 1984 70 years ago this month.

Things didn't exactly happen the way he predicted. Unfortunately, reality was far more insidious in a way he could never have predicted. The worst part is that we willingly, even eagerly, choose to give away everything for free entertainment.

I thought this was a pretty good article: https://time.com/5602363/george-orwe...mby-WRUMQnP5T8

If you're not paying anything for the service, you are the product being sold.

Glad I started this thread so all the elders can reminisce. I'm a youngen of 67 but remember Peter Paul & Mary, Joni Mitchell and Tom Rush fondly.
    I guess Subaru will know all the golden oldies music when they are listening in on us in our cars.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3