Model Year 2012 to 2017 Requesting Advice on Selling MY XV (Not a FS post)

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Requesting Advice on Selling MY XV (Not a FS post)

Requesting Advice on Selling MY XV (Not a FS post)

There are things I like about the Crosstrek, things I love, annoying things, and things I hate. Bottom line, it isn't the right vehicle for me, and I picked up an older Forester. If I'd been able to get a 2014 Forester from the dealer at the time I bought the XV, I would have, but it was late in the year, and there were only new Crosstreks available with manual transmissions. It was a compromise, and over time I've realized that the microscopic cargo area behind the rear seats does not fit my needs. My "new" Forester has a smaller rear seat area, and 50% more rear cargo area, and that does fit my needs.

Have been trying to sell my Crosstrek on Craigslist for a while now, and obviously haven't been successful. Had one offer that I likely could have negotiated a little higher, but I countered too high. Buyer said that his offer was all he could offer, so I'd said, "No thanks." Then they asked for a counter. Was feeling cranky that day, so I countered high after the changing of their story from all they could offer to being willing to pay more. Had someone else who I thought was going to buy it, but I think they backed out due to being highly allergic to dogs, and I've had dogs in the car. I've kept the seats clean and protected, so most people wouldn't even notice that dogs were in it. Had another buyer who seemed interested, but really wanted a sunroof car.

Listings here in the Pacific NW are priced higher than book value, and I've sold another Subaru in the past for significantly over book. Since there is some damage on top of my hood (dropped a kayak on it) my listing has been for a couple of thousand less than other comparable cars by owner and dealers. This is for clean titles, not rebuilt, and for cars with less than a hundred thousand miles on them.

For people who have tried to sell cars in the teens of thousands to private parties vs. trading them in, was it difficult to find buyers able & willing to buy? Do people just not have cash to do it? Is minor exterior damage a huge turn off? My pricing below others would more than cover it if someone wanted to make it pristine. As for the interior, I tend to keep mine cleaner than average. I've been led to believe that the stick trans is desirable, as most came with the CVT; is this the case? How much of an issue is living in a somewhat rural area about an hour outside of a big urban area? I'm willing to come down on my price, but since I'm starting so far below everyone else, I feel like something else might be the issue. Does everyone these days price their stuff several thousand dollars above where they expect to sell? For a while, there was someone else with a virtually identical car with noted dog interior damage priced over $2,500 higher than mine.

Bottom line is that I find it odd that I'm not getting more interest and would appreciate any helpful advice. TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    I would seriously look at getting the hood damage looked at and maybe repaired. Some potential buyers might view that hood damage as a sign others things are wrong or its been poorly maintained. If you don't want to get it repaired, then say you got an estimate for $X but am selling it for less since you don't have the time to do the repairs so it's a savings you are passing on to the new buyer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I think a manual trans is your biggest con to the sale. Manual's are very specific, a specific desire for a specific person. These days not many "new" drivers are learning stick, and older drivers might not want a stick anymore or are shopping new cars.

Second con to your sale is the age. Refer to #1, a lot of people will be shopping new cars or more recent used cars. It's not super old or anything but a 5 year old car is not always attractive to many people, and a 5 year old manual that might need a clutch or something like that, and is priced above book / higher than comparative listings/sales all seem like they would be reasons for having a difficult sale.

Just because you have seen other cars go for more money doesn't mean yours is worth the same money. Lots of factors that are factored in, many of which you already asked about. Obviously location matters and if your car is priced higher than others and is a 1-2 hour drive away from me, I'm not buying your car if I have another option.

So you have a few factors that aren't working in your favor, it seems. You also didn't specify your mileage or general condition of the car, other than your roof bump. And depending on exactly how bad it is, I might not be interested in that overpriced manual trans that I also have to do body work on.

And finally, since you didn't mention your asking price / range, only that it's over book value... you have to take into consideration what is also selling for that price range compared to your 5 year old manual trans Crosstrek with roof damage and a blown clutch. Would someone want to spend that amount on your car or something else.

If you want to get out of this vehicle because it doesn't suit you anymore than the real question you need to find the answer to is how much are you willing to give up to sell it? You want top dollar but how much is it worth to you until you maybe find a buyer, or not? Do you need to take a bottom range price in order to sell it and get it out of your hands?

How much would a dealer offer you for a trade in? Is it worth doing it that way?

There's a Carmax in Lynnwood, WA, seems like the closest to your location.. take the drive and see what they would buy your car for. I've had decent results with Carmax offering fair prices to buy my car outright.

Good luck!

Agreed, all good points

As an 3rd time manual transmission Subaru guy, I have found it IS a very specific Niche market looking for a stick...

The car has to be In Pristine shape ( No dings,dents, whacks chips, a Good Detail in/out is always worth the money, it would work in your favour more if it was two years younger.
    IMHO only because it has worked for me in the past, you either trade out of it by the end of 3 years Or you drive the wheels off of it 10 years or longer.... otherwise in that manual market (which is getting slimmer as the years go on) Yours Need to be priced to move

Best of luck, Please let us know once sold

Troutbum
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand--and melting like a snowflake...”
    Francis Bacon

2018 Sunshine Orange Cross Trek Sport (Can) 6 MT "Tigger"

I think your biggest competition for buyers looking for a manual transmission Crosstrek is the 2019 Base or Premium models. There are definitely potential buyers out there, but for around $20K, I can get a Base model (with 4 more HP!) that comes with a rear view camera and Apple CarPlay standard, and has a 6-speed MT that is supposed to be better than the old 5-speed. Add a new car warranty and 4 free oil changes, etc. and I wouldn’t be willing to pay more than $12-13K for a used 2014 Crosstrek. If buyers are financing the purchase with a loan from a bank/credit union, it is unlikely that they will want to pay too much above the KBB value since the maximum used car loan amount will be a percentage of whatever KBB value is used.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooby Doo View Post
    Have been trying to sell my Crosstrek on Craigslist for a while now, and obviously haven't been successful. Had one offer that I likely could have negotiated a little higher, but I countered too high. Buyer said that his offer was all he could offer, so I'd said, "No thanks." Then they asked for a counter. Was feeling cranky that day, so I countered high after the changing of their story from all they could offer to being willing to pay more. Had someone else who I thought was going to buy it, but I think they backed out due to being highly allergic to dogs, and I've had dogs in the car. I've kept the seats clean and protected, so most people wouldn't even notice that dogs were in it. Had another buyer who seemed interested, but really wanted a sunroof car.
    I have a couple of comments on this.

On the first guy, it sounds like you talked yourself out of a sale that day. It doesn't matter why he changed his mind about his limit; you should just be happy he did, and go from there.

Second guy: Allergies are not about what you notice or don't. It's about what you might have a reaction to or not. There's no way I'd ever buy a car that had been used to transport cats, for example; even if I didn't initially react to the car's interior, there's no telling when some cat dander might dislodge from the carpet, upholstery, or vents and send me into a full attack. I would have to get out of that car just as quickly as you would if you discovered a rattlesnake in yours.

Third guy: There was an opportunity to negotiate there, if you wanted to. Come down far enough and the sunroof might not be so important after all. Whether you want to come down that far is up to you, but my patience is limited when waiting for a car to sell. It's not getting any younger, and better a fast dime than a slow dollar sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooby Doo View Post
    Listings here in the Pacific NW are priced higher than book value, and I've sold another Subaru in the past for significantly over book. Since there is some damage on top of my hood (dropped a kayak on it) my listing has been for a couple of thousand less than other comparable cars by owner and dealers. This is for clean titles, not rebuilt, and for cars with less than a hundred thousand miles on them.
    I'm going to chime in with the others and say fix the hood. It makes a bad impression. Maybe you can find a hood in the right color at a boneyard and just bolt it on. The Impreza hood is interchangeable.

"Listings here in the Pacific NW are priced higher than book value." Most likely in the big cities for a pristine model with the "in demand" options. Sorry buddy, this is not your car. I understand the old 5 speed manual was a dog, worse fuel economy than the CVT too. Who wants to shift any more? I do in my Porsche twin turbo, but not in my Crosstrek, nor do most. There is a reason all they had left were manual trans cars when you bought. You probably got a great deal, now time to give that back to your prospective buyer, oh yeah, get that hood fixed too. Maybe try for a dealer consignment in the big city.

Maybe 1 out of 50 prospective buyers would go for your 5 speed manual trans, and maybe 1 out of 50 would not necessarily care about the hood damage for a price concession. Your buying audience is getting pretty small. You haven't mentioned if you mileage is low, high or average. You've not mentioned your asking price either.

If you have maintained the car according to Subaru recommendations and have all the receipts to backup your services, make mention of that in your ad. Being able to prove that a vehicle was well-maintained is important to a lot of used car buyers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast