Applies to All Model Years Stickies

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By artosa
  • 1 Post By AstroKats

Thread: Stickies

Stickies

Question for the Admin/Moderator;

Curious as to why there are not more stickies for common threads that address problems or how to's. Wouldn't it make it easier to keep things cleaner, more manageable and easier for members to access and contribute to the common problems or How to's ?

Seattle
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I made several hints that my HU thread be made a sticky but it wasn't so I stopped updating it and now just reply to whichever thread someone starts to do with the HU...
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

Quote Originally Posted by AstroKats View Post
    I made several hints that my HU thread be made a sticky but it wasn't so I stopped updating it and now just reply to whichever thread someone starts to do with the HU...

Yep....I know what you mean Astro. Gets old to keep replying to the same questions that have been answered numerous times. A sticky would provide a much more in-depth reason to go into deeper details to help others because you know you will not have to keep repeating the same thing over and over. Once and done and just add updates. I tend to scale back my responses because I get tired of typing the same thing every time a new member asks the same question. We could just point them to the sticky or drop the link in to their response.

Maybe the site needs additional moderators ? Who knows.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

How about a sticky that tells us non-techy's how to do things specific to this forum; ie: how to hyperlink, post pictures, import YouTube vids, etc.?

artosa
    '18 Premium DGM Low-tech, "StealthGeezer"
    "I'm not an expert at anything" and "Perspective is Everything"

Quote Originally Posted by artosa View Post
    How about a sticky that tells us non-techy's how to do things specific to this forum; ie: how to hyperlink, post pictures, import YouTube vids, etc.?

artosa
    I don't mind doing that, if it's a sticky. I've posted about it many times (e.g. why iPhone pictures are sideways)...

I just got this receipt from a local taxi company (doesn't inspire confidence):

Taxi receipt.jpg
    Last edited by AstroKats; 04-14-2019 at 01:49 PM.

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

Super Moderator
    The subject of stickies has come up a few times in the past.

Threads, like AstroKats' one, are a great contribution to the user community. We, as moderators, are not opposed to stickies but believe that anything that is a stickie should be relevant, up-to-date for those using them, and be relatively small in number (ie you don't want 20 stickies the top of each forum!). Specific threads, like AstroKats' one, which targets a specific model of a headunit are relatively targeted to those headunits. If past history is any guide, Subaru is due to do a mid-cycle refresh probably next model year which may include a headunit replacement just like they did in the last generation of the Crosstrek. That would mean that the headunit thread would be applicable to MY18/19 but probably not MY20. If that's the case, a new thread focused on those new replacement headunits should be started so that both threads are relevant to members. It would be unfair to ask or expect AstroKats to start that new thread and maintain it as he doesn't own the newer model (of course, he is more than welcome to but it should not be expected).

But before we even talk about stickies, we need to have threads in forums where it makes sense to have those threads. That is something we are in the process of. After all, if threads are scattered throughout the forum without too much rhythm or reason so people can't find them, then the chances that they will find a stickie that might answer their question is pretty low.

As for the moderators, we are volunteer members of the forum. We moderate the content and the discussions so that the discussions are fair, truthful (to our ability to know the truth), welcoming and friendly. We create some content but realistically as volunteers, we have limited time and resources. If anyone would like to create content, they are more than welcome to. If they want to own that content, then that's great as it benefits the community as a whole! If they want to create a stickie, then keep in mind of what I listed earlier -

a stickie should be relevant, up-to-date for those using them, and be relatively small in number
    So, everything can't be a stickie as having too many stickies may be worse than having no stickies at all.

Of course, the stickie situation is highlighted by the lack of a working site search engine.
    Last edited by rlouie; 04-15-2019 at 04:43 AM.
    Richard

2013 XV Sports trim (Canadian) - Deep Cherry - CVT

Maybe I'll buy a '20/21 if the HU changes, so I can keep up. We already have '18 and '19 covered...