Applies to All Model Years What are you thinking about doing to your Crosstrek?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What are you thinking about doing to your Crosstrek?

WinkWhat are you thinking about doing to your Crosstrek?

A number of members have their build threads, and we have a long running thread for things already done. But how about a thread of things you're contemplating or planning to do?

There are a number of things I haven't done, because, well, I'm cheap. I could afford these things, I'm not thinking of anything major. I just can't talk myself into them. yet.

So things I think about;

Sports mesh grill
    improved horns
    20mm rear stabilizer bar
    LED exterior lights for various places. (too much money to do them all)
    wheels and tires.
    Sometimes I think about the rear spoiler, but money aside, can't make up my mind about the looks.

So, discuss and add yours?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Rear spoiler wasnt worth the $400+ it was from the dealer IMO. I added it to my order when I made my custom order for the car. If I knew what it was before then, I wouldn't have gotten it. Just my opinion.

Ive already done a lot of your list hehe. I think the the only things I can think of right now would be

-Hood struts
    -Rock sliders (prototype being made by a local shop for me to test )

I would have had another (trailer hitch) but I literally got it and installed it last night lol

I contemplated the rear spoiler for a few minutes back in 2018. Decided it was too expensive and I didn't really like the look of the fins on top. For the money there were too many other things I could accomplish for the $$$.

I want to install a light bar behind the front grill. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I blame Thomas for that desire.

I constantly think about how I can get an F1 red light installed in the rear without it looking botched up. Pre 2018 had that nice cut out in the rear valance.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post

I want to install a light bar behind the front grill. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I blame Thomas for that desire.

I constantly think about how I can get an F1 red light installed in the rear without it looking botched up. Pre 2018 had that nice cut out in the rear valance.
    Hehe sorry, not sorry

Yea, I really liked that cutout on the first gen. The hidden trailer hitch that was doable there was awesome!

I came across this.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MZOR...e-d4ec425831b5

If you scroll down through the pictures it shows where a bulb would be installed. Looks sketchy and no instructions so I'm shying away.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm

I came across this.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MZOR...e-d4ec425831b5

If you scroll down through the pictures it shows where a bulb would be installed. Looks sketchy and no instructions so I'm shying away.
    And it says its compatible for the first gen, which obviously wouldnt fit haha.

I saw a YT vid where a buy dremel'd out the OEM reflector to take a bulb. Only half of the reflector lights up due to the "shelf" inside the housing.

Quote Originally Posted by stupidchicken03 View Post
    Rear spoiler wasnt worth the $400+ it was from the dealer IMO. I added it to my order when I made my custom order for the car. If I knew what it was before then, I wouldn't have gotten it. Just my opinion.

I contemplated the rear spoiler for a few minutes back in 2018. Decided it was too expensive and I didn't really like the look of the fins on top. For the money there were too many other things I could accomplish for the $$$.

Would you feel better about the spoiler at the price it can be bought separate and installed yourself? I've seen Crosstreks where I both liked and didn't like the spoiler. So I'm of the opinion that I can't really make up my mind, which means my cheapness will probably win out, and I won't do it.

A couple of years ago, and I think this was on reddit, not here, a bunch of people complained about the stability of the car at highway speeds when it was windy out. And some said the spoiler solved that problem, other say the 20mm bar did. Personally I haven't noticed that wind issue when I've been out on the road.

Can you put lights behind the actual grill, or only in the lower space below the painted bumper? My thought on where to put lights was to either side of the front plate bracket. Unfortunately the lights that actually project light well, and are not just decorative, seem to be too deep front to back to put in that spot. They would be sitting pretty far forward of anything else on the car. And I don't think you can recess them into the bumper, because the actual metal bumper is too close in behind the fascia.
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

Even if it was half, or a quarter, of the price... Not sure I would do it again.

It looks decent, but thats about it. Even the STi "emblem" is seriously just a metallic looking sticker... I mean, come on! lol.

EDIT: Im solely speaking for the 2018/9 spoiler as well.. I cant speak for the first gen model.

Quote Originally Posted by stupidchicken03 View Post
    Even if it was half, or a quarter, of the price... Not sure I would do it again.

It looks decent, but thats about it. Even the STi "emblem" is seriously just a metallic looking sticker... I mean, come on! lol.

EDIT: Im solely speaking for the 2018/9 spoiler as well.. I cant speak for the first gen model.

Yeah, the first gen one isn't the STI. It's $240 plus whatever. I'll most likely never get it. But I have thought about it a number of times.
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Can you put lights behind the actual grill, or only in the lower space below the painted bumper? My thought on where to put lights was to either side of the front plate bracket. Unfortunately the lights that actually project light well, and are not just decorative, seem to be too deep front to back to put in that spot. They would be sitting pretty far forward of anything else on the car. And I don't think you can recess them into the bumper, because the actual metal bumper is too close in behind the fascia.
    You can mount a light bar behind the lower grill. Requires removing bumper and making a bracket to mount. S. Chicken did it. Maybe he can throw a picture up for you.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast