Applies to All Model Years What are you thinking about doing to your Crosstrek?

  1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

    Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What are you thinking about doing to your Crosstrek?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    521

    WinkWhat are you thinking about doing to your Crosstrek?

    A number of members have their build threads, and we have a long running thread for things already done. But how about a thread of things you're contemplating or planning to do?

    There are a number of things I haven't done, because, well, I'm cheap. I could afford these things, I'm not thinking of anything major. I just can't talk myself into them. yet.

    So things I think about;

    Sports mesh grill
    improved horns
    20mm rear stabilizer bar
    LED exterior lights for various places. (too much money to do them all)
    wheels and tires.
    Sometimes I think about the rear spoiler, but money aside, can't make up my mind about the looks.

    So, discuss and add yours?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member stupidchicken03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,121
    Rear spoiler wasnt worth the $400+ it was from the dealer IMO. I added it to my order when I made my custom order for the car. If I knew what it was before then, I wouldn't have gotten it. Just my opinion.

    Ive already done a lot of your list hehe. I think the the only things I can think of right now would be

    -Hood struts
    -Rock sliders (prototype being made by a local shop for me to test )

    I would have had another (trailer hitch) but I literally got it and installed it last night lol

  4. #3
    Senior Member Seattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    Posts
    2,213
    I contemplated the rear spoiler for a few minutes back in 2018. Decided it was too expensive and I didn't really like the look of the fins on top. For the money there were too many other things I could accomplish for the $$$.

    I want to install a light bar behind the front grill. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I blame Thomas for that desire.

    I constantly think about how I can get an F1 red light installed in the rear without it looking botched up. Pre 2018 had that nice cut out in the rear valance.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member stupidchicken03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post

    I want to install a light bar behind the front grill. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I blame Thomas for that desire.

    I constantly think about how I can get an F1 red light installed in the rear without it looking botched up. Pre 2018 had that nice cut out in the rear valance.
    Hehe sorry, not sorry

    Yea, I really liked that cutout on the first gen. The hidden trailer hitch that was doable there was awesome!

  7. #5
    Senior Member Seattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    Posts
    2,213
    I came across this.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MZOR...e-d4ec425831b5


    If you scroll down through the pictures it shows where a bulb would be installed. Looks sketchy and no instructions so I'm shying away.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

  8. #6
    Senior Member stupidchicken03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    I came across this.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MZOR...e-d4ec425831b5


    If you scroll down through the pictures it shows where a bulb would be installed. Looks sketchy and no instructions so I'm shying away.
    And it says its compatible for the first gen, which obviously wouldnt fit haha.


    I saw a YT vid where a buy dremel'd out the OEM reflector to take a bulb. Only half of the reflector lights up due to the "shelf" inside the housing.

  9. #7
    Senior Member Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidchicken03 View Post
    Rear spoiler wasnt worth the $400+ it was from the dealer IMO. I added it to my order when I made my custom order for the car. If I knew what it was before then, I wouldn't have gotten it. Just my opinion.


    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    I contemplated the rear spoiler for a few minutes back in 2018. Decided it was too expensive and I didn't really like the look of the fins on top. For the money there were too many other things I could accomplish for the $$$.


    Would you feel better about the spoiler at the price it can be bought separate and installed yourself? I've seen Crosstreks where I both liked and didn't like the spoiler. So I'm of the opinion that I can't really make up my mind, which means my cheapness will probably win out, and I won't do it.

    A couple of years ago, and I think this was on reddit, not here, a bunch of people complained about the stability of the car at highway speeds when it was windy out. And some said the spoiler solved that problem, other say the 20mm bar did. Personally I haven't noticed that wind issue when I've been out on the road.



    I want to install a light bar behind the front grill. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I blame Thomas for that desire.

    Can you put lights behind the actual grill, or only in the lower space below the painted bumper? My thought on where to put lights was to either side of the front plate bracket. Unfortunately the lights that actually project light well, and are not just decorative, seem to be too deep front to back to put in that spot. They would be sitting pretty far forward of anything else on the car. And I don't think you can recess them into the bumper, because the actual metal bumper is too close in behind the fascia.
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

    Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

  10. #8
    Senior Member stupidchicken03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,121
    Even if it was half, or a quarter, of the price... Not sure I would do it again.

    It looks decent, but thats about it. Even the STi "emblem" is seriously just a metallic looking sticker... I mean, come on! lol.

    EDIT: Im solely speaking for the 2018/9 spoiler as well.. I cant speak for the first gen model.

  11. #9
    Senior Member Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidchicken03 View Post
    Even if it was half, or a quarter, of the price... Not sure I would do it again.

    It looks decent, but thats about it. Even the STi "emblem" is seriously just a metallic looking sticker... I mean, come on! lol.

    EDIT: Im solely speaking for the 2018/9 spoiler as well.. I cant speak for the first gen model.


    Yeah, the first gen one isn't the STI. It's $240 plus whatever. I'll most likely never get it. But I have thought about it a number of times.
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

    Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

  12. #10
    Senior Member Seattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Hudson Valley
    Posts
    2,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Can you put lights behind the actual grill, or only in the lower space below the painted bumper? My thought on where to put lights was to either side of the front plate bracket. Unfortunately the lights that actually project light well, and are not just decorative, seem to be too deep front to back to put in that spot. They would be sitting pretty far forward of anything else on the car. And I don't think you can recess them into the bumper, because the actual metal bumper is too close in behind the fascia.
    You can mount a light bar behind the lower grill. Requires removing bumper and making a bracket to mount. S. Chicken did it. Maybe he can throw a picture up for you.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ['18+] If You LOVE Your 18 Crosstrek, YOU MUST BUY THIS $25.00 Accessory (You're Welcome)
    By PurpleHizzy in forum Interior, Audio, and HVAC
    Replies: 190
    Latest Post: 11-03-2018, 02:03 AM
  2. ['12-'17] Wifes Crosstrek doing something weird when going from dead stop and giving gas
    By BecauseRaceCar in forum Engine and Drivetrain
    Replies: 10
    Latest Post: 07-05-2018, 09:28 PM
  3. ['18+] If You LOVE Your 18 Crosstrek, YOU MUST BUY THIS $25.00 Accessory (You're Welcome)
    By PurpleHizzy in forum Subaru XV General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 8
    Latest Post: 01-05-2018, 09:32 PM
  4. ['18+] 2018 Subaru Crosstrek doing what it does best.
    By nakima in forum Subaru XV General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Latest Post: 09-01-2017, 05:32 PM
  5. Thinking about doing an impreza grill swap
    By H15A in forum Appearance and Body
    Replies: 21
    Latest Post: 02-08-2014, 06:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2