Model Year 2018 and Newer Premium vs. Limited – Help us decide!

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Premium vs. Limited – Help us decide!

Premium vs. Limited – Help us decide!

My wife and I keep going back and forth between purchasing a 2019 Premium or Limited. It will be her car. We view some of the Limited’s additional features as positives and others as negative. Perhaps you can help us make a decision.

If we bought a Premium we would include the CVT and Eyesight options so the savings over the Limited would be $1905 on the MSRP. We would also opt for the gray interior in both trim lines because it is cooler in the sun and won’t show our yellow lab’s hair as much.

We view the upgrades that come with the Limited a dilemma:

Leather Seats - Although we have leather in both of our current cars, we prefer the comfort of cloth seats especially here in the hot desert Southwest. Even with lighter-colored leather the part of the seat you sit on is black which will get scorching hot when parked in our intense sun. However, if we go with the more comfortable Premium cloth seating we don’t get the fold down armrest/cup holders in the Limited’s rear seat which my wife would like to have as she sometimes has passengers in the rear seat. And leather is certainly easier to keep clean.

18” wheels - From a practical standpoint I don’t view 18” wheels as an upgrade because they don’t ride as smoothly as 17” wheels, and 18” replacement tires tend to cost more. Also, we like the looks of the Premium’s wheels a little better.

8” Head Unit - It’s my understanding that the Limited’s 8” HU is glitchy compared to the 6.5” HU in the premium.

LED Steering Responsive Headlights - The Limited’s LEDs are superior to the Premium’s halogen headlights, but are steering responsive headlights just something else to break? Remember all the problems with pop-up headlights?

Push-to-Start – I hate it but women love it. Since it is going to be my wife’s car score this Limited feature in the plus column.

Power Seats – Since the Limited does not include lumbar support, the manual seats in the Premium are acceptable since there will mainly be just one driver.

Reverse Automatic Braking - This seems rather redundant with Rear Cross Traffic Alert and a backup camera, plus I’ve heard it can make parallel parking in tight spaces more difficult.

Automatic Climate Control – My wife doesn’t use this feature on her current vehicle so it’s not something she would miss if she gets the Premium.

Any feedback regarding our assessment of the Limited’s additional features would be appreciated as would any other pros and cons of purchasing a 2019 Premium vs. Limited. Are there any other Limited features that make the extra money worthwhile? Thanks for helping us decide.
    Last edited by SubaruBill; 05-05-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    Future Crosstrek buyer but not new to Subaru (owned two Foresters)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Leather Seats - Although we have leather in both of our current cars, we prefer the comfort of cloth seats especially here in the hot desert Southwest. Even with lighter-colored leather the part of the seat you sit on is black which will get scorching hot when parked in our intense sun. However, if we go with the more comfortable Premium cloth seating we don’t get the fold down armrest/cup holders in the Limited’s rear seat which my wife would like to have as she sometimes has passengers in the rear seat. And leather is certainly easier to keep clean.

I live in the Southeast and, while it gets in the triple digits, I don't imagine the heat compares to yours. Based on that alone I'd say go with cloth. The Mrs. will be driving it all the time, where passengers will only be in it part of the time.

18” wheels - From a practical standpoint I don’t view 18” wheels as an upgrade because they don’t ride as smoothly as 17” wheels, and 18” replacement tires tend to cost more. Also, we like the looks of the Premium’s wheels a little better.

I tested both a Premium and a Limited - back to back at the same dealership - and didn't notice a difference in ride comfort or noise. I bought a limited and I've been well pleased with the ride. I agree that the Premium wheels look better, but the Limited's have grown on me.

8” Head Unit - It’s my understanding that the Limited’s 8” HU is glitchy compared to the 6.5” HU in the premium.

Can't opine. My 8" HU has behaved well so far.

LED Steering Responsive Headlights - The Limited’s LEDs are superior to the Premium’s halogen headlights, but are steering responsive headlights just something else to break? Remember all the problems with pop-up headlights?

I really like the LED headlights over halogens. And I've come to appreciate the steering responsive headlights for night driving out of town, particularly up in the mountains. If you are worried about them wearing out, you can turn the steering responsiveness off, and enable it only when you want it.

Push-to-Start – I hate it but women love it. Since it is going to be my wife’s car score this Limited feature in the plus column.

I love not having to take my keys out of my pocket.

Power Seats – Since the Limited does not include lumbar support, the manual seats in the Premium are acceptable since there will mainly be just one driver.

A consideration may be if you can adjust the seat height in the Premium - I don't know if that's available with manual adjustment

Reverse Automatic Braking - This seems rather redundant with Rear Cross Traffic Alert and a backup camera, plus I’ve heard it can make parallel parking in tight spaces more difficult.

I think this is one of those features that I'll only appreciate when it saves me from a major smash-up. I do like the cross-traffic alert. It even warns me of approaching pedestrians.

Automatic Climate Control – My wife doesn’t use this feature on her current vehicle so it’s not something she would miss if she gets the Premium.

This is a feature that I really like, but if the Mrs. doesn't use it, then it's moot.

I hope that my opinions are useful, and I think you'll both be pleased whichever version you get. Looking forward to having you guys as part of the family!

I had originally ordered a premium but went home and thought about all the additions in the Limited. I switched my order. I’m loving my limited. I have no problems with my HU(had the software update). Love the bigger screen. Especially with CarPlay. Not having to take my keys out my pocket is great. And the premium didn’t offer XM which was sort of a deal breaker for me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

SubaruBill, I applaud your analytical approach. You’ve now achieved paralysis by analysis. I’ve been there, too!

Our 2017 Forester Touring 2.5i was / is our first top-of the model line car we ever purchased. Previous cars were mid-line models. We were blown away by all the extra features. It’s my wife’s car, and 46K miles later she still LOVES this car.

When it came time for me to replace my 2010 Honda FIT, I tired to make the 2019 Crosstrek Premium work for me to save some dollars. By then I was too spoiled by the Forester Touring car. I went with the CT Limited — haven’t regretted it a single day. There just seem to be so many nice extra touches, it’s worth the extra $$/month to me.

I have the all black leather interior, and so far living in the intense sunlight of Albuquerque hasn’t been a problem. I do, however, religiously use a windshield sunscreen when parking — just as I have on all previous cars we’ve owned in various locations around the U.S. (NJ, PA, SC, RI, WA, FL, TX, LA, NM).

2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i (delivered Aug 03,2016) ... Eyesight, Nav
    2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (delivered Oct 05, 2018) ... Eyesight, Nav

We didn’t go shopping for the top of the line but ended up with the Limited and both love it!

I actually like the leather seats. Our other car has tan fabric seats and they are very difficult to keep clean, as you say. We’ve already had a couple of iced tea spills and no problem.

I don’t believe the 8” HU is any more or less glitchy. It’s the same electronics and firmware, just a larger display. In fact, that was a big factor for us with our older eyes.

Other AstroKat LOVES the keyless entry and push to start, so she doesn’t have to rummage in her huge purse for the keys. She complains bitterly about that now, when she has to take the other car. Poor baby…
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

It was an easy decision for me. I went with the Limited because I really wanted the headlights, push start, and auto A/C. The bigger HU was also a plus. Don't care for leather seats. My roommate has the Premium and I like the comfort of the cloth seats better. But as AstoKats mentioned, the leather is easy to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBill View Post
    My wife and I keep going back and forth between purchasing a 2019 Premium or Limited. It will be her car. We view some of the Limited’s additional features as positives and others as negative. Perhaps you can help us make a decision.

If we bought a Premium we would include the CVT and Eyesight options so the savings over the Limited would be $1905 on the MSRP. We would also opt for the gray interior in both trim lines because it is cooler in the sun and won’t show our yellow lab’s hair as much.

We view the upgrades that come with the Limited a dilemma:

Leather Seats - Although we have leather in both of our current cars, we prefer the comfort of cloth seats especially here in the hot desert Southwest. Even with lighter-colored leather the part of the seat you sit on is black which will get scorching hot when parked in our intense sun. However, if we go with the more comfortable Premium cloth seating we don’t get the fold down armrest/cup holders in the Limited’s rear seat which my wife would like to have as she sometimes has passengers in the rear seat. And leather is certainly easier to keep clean.Get a Subaru sunshade for the windshield. I have the same type from Covercraft. Even in the mid west the sun is a big deal in the summer. Much improved, and the steering wheel doesn't scorch fingers

18” wheels - From a practical standpoint I don’t view 18” wheels as an upgrade because they don’t ride as smoothly as 17” wheels, and 18” replacement tires tend to cost more. Also, we like the looks of the Premium’s wheels a little better. Ride is great on the Limited for us. Compares well to anything. A Cadillac family member commented on how smooth the Crosstrek rides

8” Head Unit - It’s my understanding that the Limited’s 8” HU is glitchy compared to the 6.5” HU in the premium. Works for us x2

LED Steering Responsive Headlights - The Limited’s LEDs are superior to the Premium’s halogen headlights, but are steering responsive headlights just something else to break? Remember all the problems with pop-up headlights? LED lasts a long time. No issues with headlights that move for the last 15 years and 100s of thousands of miles that I've had them

Push-to-Start – I hate it but women love it. Since it is going to be my wife’s car score this Limited feature in the plus column. We won't even rent a car with a key start anymore. I return them if I ever find one. Fob in the pocket is the way to go IMHO

Power Seats – Since the Limited does not include lumbar support, the manual seats in the Premium are acceptable since there will mainly be just one driver.We don't care about the power seats. I liked the manual kind, also

Reverse Automatic Braking - This seems rather redundant with Rear Cross Traffic Alert and a backup camera, plus I’ve heard it can make parallel parking in tight spaces more difficult. This is one of the coolest features eVAr. Really tough to back into something. I park in the city all the time with it, no issue ever. this is a Plus feature.

Automatic Climate Control – My wife doesn’t use this feature on her current vehicle so it’s not something she would miss if she gets the Premium. CC works very well. I won't buy a vehicle without this either.

Any feedback regarding our assessment of the Limited’s additional features would be appreciated as would any other pros and cons of purchasing a 2019 Premium vs. Limited. Are there any other Limited features that make the extra money worthwhile? Thanks for helping us decide.
    What is the value of your money? We have (almost) never met an option we didn't want.

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    What is the value of your money? We have (almost) never met an option we didn't want.
    LOL

It also depends how long you intend to keep the car. We tend to keep our cars a long time so a little bit extra for a convenience is spread over many years. Why we waited for the '18 with Android Auto and CarPlay...
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

I went Limited. Leather, keyless entry, auto seats & climate. Didn't care about tires. I went charcoal with Grey seats. Love it!

I miss leather seats more than I thought. Leather is easier to keep clean. I decided I wanted push button start so I swapped that in. I also missed auto climate control and I swapped that in. I’d imagine if you can use tools you could swap in a new rear seat console/ rear seat pretty easily. Get a better aftermarket head unit after purchase. Mine has wireless apple car play and shows individual tire pressures (although I think if you get a limited you’ll have that feature stock, in 2019)

RAB is a gimmick. No one needs that. Everyone is always afraid of backing into a moving car.. just move slow. Any car in a parking lot will slow down for you. (Similar problem with people at 4-way stops.)

You’re right about led lights being more to go wrong. Same story with seats. Leds as primary headlighting is relatively new and may not have the same reliability, but time will tell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast