Applies to All Model Years Opinions on upgrading - 17 premium to new

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Opinions on upgrading - 17 premium to new

Opinions on upgrading - 17 premium to new

My wife has a 17 premium she bought new, no eyesight or other options, just the standard Premium features. We have the title but in a way it's not really paid off, a year and a half ago we consolidated several different loans into 1 and still have 4 years before that is paid off.

It looks like according to subaru's "guaranteed trade in" we could get around $19,000 for her trade in value. If we got a limited with everything in it I think that would be around $30,000 ((? am I close on that ?) so she might be financing $11,000 or so.

Obviously it's our choice but I'd like to hear opinions? Would a brand new limited be enough of an upgrade to justify the expense? Or am I being foolish? I don't really know how the depreciation value would go so basically I'm wondering if it would be better or worse to trade in now or wait a few more years?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Not addressing debt (I am a firm believer of getting a vehicle you can pay cash for, but I'm old) the new generation is a very nice improvement in ride and handling. I have a '17 Limited. A close friend loved it and bought a new 18. I drive hers when we go around town and I can attest it is a marked upgrade. And the addition of all the safety features, especially Eyesight( which I have) is an added incentive. Only you can answer whether the extra debt is worth it.
    2017 Limited, Venetian Red Pearl, Eyesight, Nav, moonroof, keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and compass, pushbutton start, Kicker powered sub, rear JL Audio C2 525x coaxials, JL Audio C2-650 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System up front, under seat Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel amp

Although I have a limited, I feel that the Premium model is the biggest bang for your dollar. You are correct that the Limited will run you $30,000 out the door.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Follow up question, does subaru's guaranteed trade in really give you what it says it will give you? I've never used it before and just wondering if its real or a bait and switch method to get you to come in to the dealer.

As much as I would like to write the opposite, from real world experience I find it is rarely what they end up giving you on trade. Like everything in the real world it is a marketing tool to get you in and talking.
    2017 Limited, Venetian Red Pearl, Eyesight, Nav, moonroof, keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and compass, pushbutton start, Kicker powered sub, rear JL Audio C2 525x coaxials, JL Audio C2-650 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System up front, under seat Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel amp

I find the best way to go about this; email several dealers with Exactly what you want. Wait for the offers to trickle in. Then take you car to the dealer that gave you the best price. Walk in and ask them what they would give you for your trade in. Do not tell them you got a price for the new car yet. See where that lands you. Also, go to KBB.com and true value.com to see what you trade in is worth.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm

Quote Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
    My wife has a 17 premium she bought new, no eyesight or other options, just the standard Premium features. We have the title but in a way it's not really paid off, a year and a half ago we consolidated several different loans into 1 and still have 4 years before that is paid off.

It looks like according to subaru's "guaranteed trade in" we could get around $19,000 for her trade in value. If we got a limited with everything in it I think that would be around $30,000 ((? am I close on that ?) so she might be financing $11,000 or so.

Obviously it's our choice but I'd like to hear opinions? Would a brand new limited be enough of an upgrade to justify the expense? Or am I being foolish? I don't really know how the depreciation value would go so basically I'm wondering if it would be better or worse to trade in now or wait a few more years?
    I traded my 2013 Impreza Sport for a 2019 Crosstrek Limited. I got an offer letter for $11250 direct from subaru guarantee and I also got a coupon for $1k due to the valve spring recall call. i got my new car negotiatiated to $24650 plus my trade and coupon and my loan after taxes is where you would be at $11k - if you can afford it then go for it but make sure you negotiate and wait till the end of the month for better success. As others have wrote better ride more quiet and better safety but you’re 17 is a sweet ride as wel. I think subaru takes good care of it’s owners - check out the “that did you pay for your crosstrek” discussion for more information on what others paid. $30 k is outlandish to pay sticker when your don’t really have to if you know how to negotiate

Quote Originally Posted by mforce7 View Post
    I traded my 2013 Impreza Sport for a 2019 Crosstrek Limited. I got an offer letter for $11250 direct from subaru guarantee and I also got a coupon for $1k due to the valve spring recall call. i got my new car negotiatiated to $24650 plus my trade and coupon and my loan after taxes is where you would be at $11k - if you can afford it then go for it but make sure you negotiate and wait till the end of the month for better success. As others have wrote better ride more quiet and better safety but you’re 17 is a sweet ride as wel. I think subaru takes good care of it’s owners - check out the “that did you pay for your crosstrek” discussion for more information on what others paid. $30 k is outlandish to pay sticker when your don’t really have to if you know how to negotiate
    Ho much did you pay out the door including value of trade, coupon taxes and registration ?
    Wool When Wet Is Warm

I helped mom-in-law get a '19 Limited recently for just under $30K. Contacting only the dealer's internet departments is the way to go. You should be able to get close to $1K under invoice or more, and don't mention a trade until you've agreed a cash price.

Whether it's a smart financial decision or not is up to you to decide. We waited for the new gen and love all the bells and whistles on the Limited. Regarding resale value, a few years from now the new gen is likely to be more in demand than the previous gen for all of the reasons folks have written here. So, while you're taking the hit now, it may not be such a big hit long term. I think I read here that the previous gen resale values fell off a cliff when the new gen came out.

Also, consider selling the car privately (I've now sold three cars on Craigslist and got way more than a trade would be) and/or get a price from CarMax.
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

The new Crosstrek is a significant upgrade from the old one as a whole. However, I would not trade in my 14 to get one. It is a little larger, has slightly better power delivery, smoother ride, has a few nicer features, and definitely has a better quality interior. Individually (other than the interior quality), most of these improvements are marginal. As a whole it is a better vehicle. To me there is just not enough there to justify one over the previous generation unless you absolutely need the slight size increase (and if you do, I would suggest a used Outback instead). This of course assumes that your 17 is not in a position that says you might want to consider a new car anyway (for example if it has 150,000 miles on it or is blowing oil everywhere, guessing not if you expect to get 19K trade in). Now if the new generation had significantly more power, it might have been enough to make me want one. As it is, I just do not see the reason to swap from the first gen.

Note this is not me speculating. I have a friend that has the exact features I would get in a 2018+. I have driven/ridden in it several times. It is definitely an upgrade. If you are in a position where you need a new car, I would consider the 18+ over the previous gen if it is in your price range. However, if you do not need a new car, I see no reason to upgrade.

For finances... You do you... I personally do not think there is enough there to justify the additional expense. The fact that you came here to ask about it instead of just doing it leads me to believe maybe you think the same, but that you are also excited by the prospect of a new car. You have to figure that out for yourself.
    2014 Tangerine Orange Pearl XV Crosstrek Limited
    2013 Tangerine Scream Ford Focus ST ST3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast