Applies to All Model Years Opinions on upgrading - 17 premium to new - Page 2

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Opinions on upgrading - 17 premium to new

Quote Originally Posted by 13ST14XV View Post
    The new Crosstrek is a significant upgrade from the old one as a whole. However, I would not trade in my 14 to get one. It is a little larger, has slightly better power delivery, smoother ride, has a few nicer features, and definitely has a better quality interior. Individually (other than the interior quality), most of these improvements are marginal. As a whole it is a better vehicle. To me there is just not enough there to justify one over the previous generation unless you absolutely need the slight size increase (and if you do, I would suggest a used Outback instead). This of course assumes that your 17 is not in a position that says you might want to consider a new car anyway (for example if it has 150,000 miles on it or is blowing oil everywhere, guessing not if you expect to get 19K trade in). Now if the new generation had significantly more power, it might have been enough to make me want one. As it is, I just do not see the reason to swap from the first gen.

Note this is not me speculating. I have a friend that has the exact features I would get in a 2018+. I have driven/ridden in it several times. It is definitely an upgrade. If you are in a position where you need a new car, I would consider the 18+ over the previous gen if it is in your price range. However, if you do not need a new car, I see no reason to upgrade.

For finances... You do you... I personally do not think there is enough there to justify the additional expense. The fact that you came here to ask about it instead of just doing it leads me to believe maybe you think the same, but that you are also excited by the prospect of a new car. You have to figure that out for yourself.
    What 13ST14XV said...

Except that Eyesight would be a big improvement over a previous gen without it.
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Do you love the new car $11,000 more than the current car? Is the cost difference of no particular importance to you? If these are true, then upgrade. If these are not true, then it's not a good financial decision.
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mforce7 View Post
    I traded my 2013 Impreza Sport for a 2019 Crosstrek Limited. I got an offer letter for $11250 direct from subaru guarantee and I also got a coupon for $1k due to the valve spring recall call. i got my new car negotiatiated to $24650 plus my trade and coupon and my loan after taxes is where you would be at $11k - if you can afford it then go for it but make sure you negotiate and wait till the end of the month for better success. As others have wrote better ride more quiet and better safety but you’re 17 is a sweet ride as wel. I think subaru takes good care of it’s owners - check out the “that did you pay for your crosstrek” discussion for more information on what others paid. $30 k is outlandish to pay sticker when your don’t really have to if you know how to negotiate
    Ho much did you pay out the door including value of trade, coupon taxes and registration ?
    With taxes and some extra I added was total $27621 out the door- then deduct $11k trade and $1k coupon and then i dropped $1k so end of day $15k for a limited with a few extras - no nav (don’t need it with car play) and non harmon. have day and night mirror mud flaps bumper guard all weather mats and sun roof. I plan to pay off in 14-16 months based on my amortization schedule I created. Plan to keep this for a awhile as i had my impreza for 6 years prior

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

With taxes and some extra I added was total $27621 out the door- then deduct $11k trade and $1k coupon and then i dropped $1k so end of day $15k for a limited with a few extras - no nav (don’t need it with car play) and non harmon. have day and night mirror mud flaps bumper guard all weather mats and sun roof. I plan to pay off in 14-16 months based on my amortization schedule I created. Plan to keep this for a awhile as i had my impreza for 6 years prior
    $27,621 out the door before coupons, etc. for a Limited seems implausible. That's probably $3K or more below invoice. Not saying you didn't get that but maybe they were making their money on the trade?
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

Quote Originally Posted by AstroKats View Post
    $27,621 out the door before coupons, etc. for a Limited seems implausible. That's probably $3K or more below invoice. Not saying you didn't get that but maybe they were making their money on the trade?
    All very Good points of view

As Astrocats points out Dealers Make the Bulk of their $$ from Used car sales, they stick to the selling Bible very closely, so you can bet that Subaru has Left room for dealers in the incentive pricing..

That being said I traded in a MY15 Touring, for a New redesigned MY 18 Sport ( it did still have a small amount outstanding on it) But as others have said it is "What works for you financially" It was a no brainer for me, as it likely will be my last car, might as well drive something that has all the creature comforts you want

Troutbum
    Last edited by troutbum; 03-22-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand--and melting like a snowflake...”
    Francis Bacon

2018 Sunshine Orange Cross Trek Sport (Can) 6 MT "Tigger"

Quote Originally Posted by AstroKats View Post
    What you paid includes your trade-in of 11k. One cannot say I paid 11k less because they did a trade in. You opted out of the Navigation and HK Sound system which runs about $1,200.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

You’re being foolish (you asked, I wouldn’t have said that otherwise, props for asking the question.). “Consolidating” multiple loans into one is something your average person doesn’t/shouldn’t have to do. You want expensive stuff, I don’t blame you, so do I. But the way things sound, you’ll be unhappy with that car in a year and want to do the same thing but with a 2020 or 2021 cause the leather feels better, it rides better, and now eyesight moved one step closer to fully autonomous driving. If that’s the case start leasing instead. Again though, I get it, I want to upgrade my 2014. Don’t try to justify it though with things you “need” and figure it will somehow save you money, because it won’t.

Trade ins are a guaranteed way to lose out on a couple to a few thousand that you could have pocketed. The dealer wants you to make payments for forever because they are making money on the interest but allowing people to justify it by offering a lower monthly payment. Turns out though that by the time you pay off the car you will have 200k miles and thousands in repairs.

One would like to think better but "bait & switch" is not far off mark.

I don't really see it as ill-intent on their part but it is just advertising for more bidness, more bodies in the lobby. Any dealership wants to turn a profit on every transaction with every customer (which generally they do on all 3 transactions you're talking about -- the buy, the trade-in and the financing).

The only certain "giving" going on here would you giving them a repeat customer.

Back in Feb 2017, I couldn't wait for the 2018 Crosstrek to upgrade to the new global platform and happily landed in a 2017 5-door Impreza Sport (avoiding your dilemma in most regards albeit with ~3" less ground clearance :-P ).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2