Applies to All Model Years Hyundai Kona vs Crosstrek

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Hyundai Kona vs Crosstrek

Hyundai Kona vs Crosstrek

Back in 15 when I bought my black XV I really wanted the green but it wasn't available in a manual transmission so I went for plan B, black.

Came across a Hyundai Kona yesterday, Green, with respectful green accent in interior, really really liked it but it only came in automatic...(deal breaker otherwise I would have whipped out my CC for a down payment...not ready to give up my stick just yet)

but looking it over, gee, think the Crosstrek has come competition, I love my Crosstrek, don't get me wrong, but the Kona has some really really nice features I would love to have on mine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Consumer Reports likes it but not nearly as much as the Crosstrek. They regard it as competition for the Honda HRV.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

The Kona was the only real competition for me as I was looking at the 2018 Crosstrek. Ultimately the Crosstrek won as its AWD is far superior and my main reason for wanting a vehicle like this was to be able to commute to work and take off into the middle of nowhere on the weekends all wrapped up into one sporty little package. Also the Kona was more expensive.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

It's an attractive car. And I've noticed that sometimes lower quality vehicle makers compensate with more features, which can be nice. But I wouldn't trust it as I do a Crosstrek.

Quote Originally Posted by starwriter View Post
    The Kona was the only real competition for me as I was looking at the 2018 Crosstrek. Ultimately the Crosstrek won as its AWD is far superior and my main reason for wanting a vehicle like this was to be able to commute to work and take off into the middle of nowhere on the weekends all wrapped up into one sporty little package. Also the Kona was more expensive.
    I am tempted to take it for a test drive though, My wife traded in her 15 XV for a 18 XV because she didn't like the manual anymore, too many times stuck in hour long traffic, and although I do like my 15 better (styling wise) driving an automatic is not the end of the world, but with the manual transmissions going to the wayside like an 8-track tape figured I would keep mine...and I just love driving a manual...

but...the features are hard to argue and I have to admit walking into the showroom and seeing it, it was a big WOW factor.

Would love to see a head to head comparison in a real life New England snowstorm though (Kona vs Crosstrek)

The main difference of Kona and Crosstrek is Kona is more agile due to better power weight ratio and better accessories, crosstrek have better rear passenger space, softer stable ride and permanent awd. So you can choose easily amont this 2 which is your priority. Actually kona is not really meant to be compared with crosstrek due to size is more comparable to chr, cx3 rather than hrv, x1, gla.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    It's an attractive car. And I've noticed that sometimes lower quality vehicle makers compensate with more features, which can be nice. But I wouldn't trust it as I do a Crosstrek.
    I'm with Cutlass on this. I think the Kona is a wannabe and lacks the balls to go where a Crosstrek will and can.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Both my wife and I love our Crosstreks but and the above statement normally is true, but with engine replacement recalls and/or oil consumption issues, I have to reluctantly side with the Hyundai...

...although not having a traverse drive train, IMO it is easier to work on..ish'

Odd that we've just had two threads pop up here in the general (Crosstrek) discussion area, promoting other brands of car...

All brands have recalls and oil consumption is not the issue it was years ago. Consumer Reports just ranked Subaru the #1 car brand overall, and the Crosstrek was the top of its category by a wide margin.
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast