Applies to All Model Years Hyundai Kona vs Crosstrek - Page 5

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Hyundai Kona vs Crosstrek

My next car will be electric, and the Kona ev has been getting good press.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainOzone View Post
    My next car will be electric, and the Kona ev has been getting good press.
    But its a Hyundai.....Im sorry I cant get past how really bad these cars were when they first came out in the early 90s? I realize they are better now but...they got that rep for me....also poor resale value

Kona, Big Island braddah...Been there on vacation, love it....Kona by Hyundai...not so much.
    Love my Subie. Hang loose Howlee Brah
    4th BADGE
    2015 Venetian Red Limited w/Moonroof, Keyless Access/PB-Start, Nav
    Mods: Window Air deflectors, Tow Hitch, Polks MM651 Speakers
    Rockford Fosgate PBR amp 300x4

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.......

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

in my experience, Hyundai makes lousy cars and I wouldn’t consider buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by kurthb View Post
    Both my wife and I love our Crosstreks but and the above statement normally is true, but with engine replacement recalls and/or oil consumption issues, I have to reluctantly side with the Hyundai...

...although not having a traverse drive train, IMO it is easier to work on..ish'
    With Hyundai recalling 1.2 million engines in 2017, and then another recall involving 68,000 engines built in the East Point, GA plant catching fire....you're thinking Hyundai would be a better option?

Funny thing about Hyundais, they have that great 10 year 100k warranty....... My wife wrecked her car in 2007. We were in dire need of something inexpensive so we got an Accent. We had issues with the car and the dealership out of the gate. We traded it in for another car in 2009 because my wife hated it.....anyway, less than 10 years after purchasing the Accent they were like ghosts. They had sold thousands of those POSs and few were still on the road.

They may have made significant improvements, but I would never own another unless it was given to me.
    2018 Ice Silver Crosstrek - Subaru Window Deflectors, 15" Method Racing Wheels, BF Goodrich KO2 Tires, Gorilla mudflaps, JDM emblem (red/black), Black badges, Pioneer AVH-2440NEX Stereo, Kicker 11HS8 Sub (under the seat), Alpine S-S65 (front/back), Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePDX View Post
    But its a Hyundai.....Im sorry I cant get past how really bad these cars were when they first came out in the early 90s? I realize they are better now but...they got that rep for me....also poor resale value
    My first car was a 1985 Hyundai Stellar GSL. My dad bought it new and drove it until 93'. I bought in spring of 94' for $100 and worked on it as my funds would allow until I got my G2 license in mid 95'.
    The odometer rolled 3 times (it rolled at 100,000 km), had maybe 10 oil changes in its entire life and it was used several times to dislodge trucks stuck in the snow.
    I'll save the things wrong with the 10 yr old abused car except to mention the horrible rust, the headlamp held in with a rigged roll of packing tape and that it hadn't had a bath since 87'-ish because the horn relay would always trip in the middle of the night. I still have one of the hubcaps as wall art in my garage.
    I don't like Hyundai very much but I get sentimental with the brand when thinking about my Beast and the fun my friends and I had with it.

Anyway... My wife is starting to look around for her next vehicle with the possibility of it being her last, or second last. While I'm not sold on longevity or the capability to do a lot of routine maintenance and such in the garage, like I'll be able to with Stamford, the Kona is a contestant. No, the specs aren't quite as good as the XV but she wants something a little smaller like the Kona which also gets a little better mileage (as per stats) and it's a little cheaper.

She wants something with good ground clearance and AWD that's easy to get in and out of, as we've both have had hip surgeries, but not as large as the XV.
    I know, large and XV sound funny together; to me the XV is adequate for most things and I have a trailer for the rest.
    Its took me days to make her realize that you can't have a higher ride without being larger because of things like the wheelbase and track required of a taller vehicle.

Then we talked about a lift kit for a sedan and she said the Impreza. After staring blankly into her eyes for a moment, she realized what a lifted Impreza is.
    So, I have a feeling that she might be waiting for the next gen XV.
    Last edited by Doca; 03-18-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    Audio mod manual: https://www.impreza5.com/forum/26-el...er-thread.html
    Crutchfield directions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JV4...ub2Ssid9c/view

----

----
    18' Subaru Crosstrek "Stamford" - 29 Aug 17 -
    07' VW Rabbit "Bunny"- 4 Jan 07' - 30 Jun 17'
    94' Chev Beretta "Dirty B" - 24 Jun 96' - 4 Jan 07'
    85' Hyundai Stellar "Beast" - Mar 94' - Dec 95'

Quote Originally Posted by Doca View Post
    Then we talked about a lift kit for a sedan and she said the Impreza. After staring blankly into her eyes for a moment, she realized what a lifted Impreza is.
    LMAO!

OAK's mom said she definitely did not want a car "as big" as our Crosstrek to replace her 2012 Hyundai Elantra (that's now in our garage). She definitely wanted a sedan so we did some research for her on the Impreza sedan and Legacy, and a Prius (OAK's sister just got a '19 to replace her ten year old one). Then she drove our Crosstrek and now has a '19...

Btw, the Crosstrek is actually a couple of inches shorter than the Prius. OAK's sister didn't believe me so we parked them next to each other. I guess the ground clearance, the roof bars, etc. just give it the appearance of a much bigger car than it really is. Like when a cat arches its back...
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

Haha, you guys are going to get a good laugh... But I went out and bought a Kona EV Ultimate (top trim here in Canada) today.

But will keep my Crosstrek, of course, traded in my old Prius C. Got a good trade-in deal, plus able to take advantage of the fed and prov subsidies ($10k in total). Had to act fast though, as they are selling out quickly now. And gas prices going through the roof here, thanks to our neighbour Alberta friends who are threatening to shut off the taps to us.

Quote Originally Posted by R P View Post
    Haha, you guys are going to get a good laugh... But I went out and bought a Kona EV Ultimate (top trim here in Canada) today.

But will keep my Crosstrek, of course, traded in my old Prius C. Got a good trade-in deal, plus able to take advantage of the fed and prov subsidies ($10k in total). Had to act fast though, as they are selling out quickly now. And gas prices going through the roof here, thanks to our neighbour Alberta friends who are threatening to shut off the taps to us.

Let us know what you think after a few months use of it.
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast