Model Year 2018 and Newer Offroad capability / practicality? Can I trade a Jeep for a Crosstrek?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Offroad capability / practicality? Can I trade a Jeep for a Crosstrek?

Offroad capability / practicality? Can I trade a Jeep for a Crosstrek?

I currently drive a 04 Jeep Wrangler with 2 inches of lift and 32's. I am considering selling it and getting an 18 Crosstrek.
    I don't offroad the jeep a ton. It goes to Silverlake Sand Dunes once a year to take the kids out.
    I fly fish so I do take it out through some muddy two tracks / sandy areas to get to the fishing spots.
    Mostly it is the "go through anything " winter vehicle while my mustang hibernates through the Michigan winter.

While the jeep is great for reliability and fun being a convertible, it does have it's drawbacks: 11mpg in the winter, 14mpg in the summer,
    top takes around 5 minutes to take down and about 10 to put it back up / I always worry about leaving stuff in it when I go fishing.

My question is: Will a Crosstrek be able to handle the above duties?

Will I need to do anything to achieve this? (lift / tires)

Just looking for those with some experience. Thank you in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I really love my 16, but I don’t think it’s going to have anywhere near the off-road capabilities that your Jeep does. I had one years back. I’m happy to get through snow, but would cringe at the thought of going up or down a curb. The clearance is not there, nor the hardcore steel bumpers and body panels of years back. I’m sure some members will be offended, because I’ve read posts, and seen off-road videos. I get the downside that you mentioned about mileage, security, and putting the top up and down. The moonroof is a decent substitute for the convertible, the mileage is awesome, and the ride is way more comfortable. You would have to be a little more gentle, but I think you would probably have few regrets. If you haven’t done so, I would suggest a test drive with a dealership that would let you put it through its paces to a degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a new Crosstrek owner, but wouldn't consider it in the same league as a jeep wrangler. IMO, the crosstrek is a very good AWD vehicle with light off-road credentials. In other words, it can handle slippery off-road situations & get you through mud & low traction accents & decents. But its not a bruiser that you want to pound on.

Sand dunes - It might get you through. But I'm not sure you would want to throw that much sand up into the crosstrek suspension, brakes, ect. Maybe others have done it & can provide more feedback.

Muddy 2-track - I'd say probably if its not really trenched out & hammering the suspension.

Go thru anything winter vehicle. If were talking "normal" snowy roads or dirt roads, yeah. If we're talking breaking through 3 feet of new snow on trails, risky.
    Last edited by Dougjc; 12-19-2017 at 01:12 AM.
    18' Prem Crosstrek - Ice Silver Metallic
    04' Nissan Titan
    18' Beta 300RR
    11' KTM450
    06' KLR650

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Banned
    Jeep Wrangler = professional MMA fighter

Subaru Crosstrek = school yard bully w/ a 9-0 record of picking on defenseless dweebs

Yup Hase on the three above responses. I have a 04 Wrangler (tj) and a 16 Trek. Been all over country in both and in some gnarly crap. The Trek is not in the same league as the tj. What I don't even think twice about doing with the Jeep, I won't even attempt with the Trek. The tj is tough as nails. Remember the Crosstrek has only a 18 degree approach angle - your tj is 42 at stock. But the Crosstrek sure is a lot nicer to drive on the road and gas mileage is great. But If I had to get rid of one of them - bye Subie.

BTW, if you do get the Trek and then get the Primitive mid plate, when you get into sand or mud take the plate off. It acts like the tj transfer case "shovel".

I have both a forester and crosstrek and I would suggest you test-drive a forester. It's a bit more capable off-road (esp. w/ a bit of lift & AT tires), but still has the on-road benefits that the XV has. Neither will have the off-road goodness of your Jeep, but the Fozzy comes closer.
    IMHO.

I own both a crosstrek and a Wrangler on BF 265/75/17s and they don't even compare for offroad capabilities. You will be disappointed. That being said, the Crosstrek can do a lot of things that most other cars in it's class can't.

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you're not trying to rock crawl, I think the Crosstrek can handle a lot more than you'd think. With some skid plates and A/T tires I was able to climb up a pretty steep trail with snow and mud everywhere and was fine.

Here it is, with all the other more "offroad capable" trucks I went with:

FFveX3M.jpg

Interestingly enough, mine was the only "car" there, with all the other vehicles being Jeeps, 4Runners/Tacomas, etc. I don't know if I'm just an idiot or if other people underestimate the Crosstrek/Subarus (or just a bit of both ).

The Jeep can go places the XTrek could never dream of going.
    The XTrek can go places most other cars could never dream of going.

I used my crosstrek during hunting season in central PA, on mostly muddy 2 tracks/grass covered areas and it handled it fine (no experience with sand). I used to have a cherokee, and there's definitely spots i used to take it that i wouldnt take the crosstrek, but so far the corsstrek has done better than expected. If you're not doing anything too crazy with it, you'll definitely enjoy the comfort/MPG.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast