Model Year 2018 and Newer Offroad capability / practicality? Can I trade a Jeep for a Crosstrek? - Page 3

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Offroad capability / practicality? Can I trade a Jeep for a Crosstrek?

For your intended use the Crosstrek will be fine I had two a 2015 and now a 2018 and have been off roading for years and also have a dedicated 85 Toyota Straight Axle SR5 Pick Up for hard core wheeling.

My advise is buy it you will be fine as long you have a spotter even a stock Crosstrek can get you through many trails NO Rock Crawling but you would be surprised the stuff we have made on both of our little Subaru's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

If I had a 14 mile round trip commute, I would have never bought my Crosstrek.
    2018 Crosstrek Premium, CVT, and white - aka OLAF.
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hase View Post
    I currently drive a 04 Jeep Wrangler with 2 inches of lift and 32's. I am considering selling it and getting an 18 Crosstrek.
    I don't offroad the jeep a ton. It goes to Silverlake Sand Dunes once a year to take the kids out.
    I fly fish so I do take it out through some muddy two tracks / sandy areas to get to the fishing spots.
    Mostly it is the "go through anything " winter vehicle while my mustang hibernates through the Michigan winter.

While the jeep is great for reliability and fun being a convertible, it does have it's drawbacks: 11mpg in the winter, 14mpg in the summer,
    top takes around 5 minutes to take down and about 10 to put it back up / I always worry about leaving stuff in it when I go fishing.

My question is: Will a Crosstrek be able to handle the above duties?

Will I need to do anything to achieve this? (lift / tires)

Just looking for those with some experience. Thank you in advance!
    So for anyone else who is looking into this, the answer after having the crosstrek for a year....
    It has done everything that I have asked of it. Stock 18 premium with the CVT. I did add wheels and tires (BFG - AT). In fact, It handled the S.E. Michigan Winter better than the wranglers ever did. And the attached pic is from the top of "Test Hill" on Silver Lake Sand Dunes.IMG_20190503_120835_360.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hase View Post
    So for anyone else who is looking into this, the answer after having the crosstrek for a year....
    It has done everything that I have asked of it. Stock 18 premium with the CVT. I did add wheels and tires (BFG - AT). In fact, It handled the S.E. Michigan Winter better than the wranglers ever did. And the attached pic is from the top of "Test Hill" on Silver Lake Sand Dunes.IMG_20190503_120835_360.jpg
    Thats awesome to hear real world experience. Thanks for reporting back

As a Jeep enthusiast and crosstrek owner I can tell you, no you may not substitute this for a Jeep. One thing- it will be your favorite daily driver and the ( any or all my jeeps thru the years) could never do as well is be that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3