Model Year 2012 to 2017 PhilXV's Crosstrek Build

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: PhilXV's Crosstrek Build

PhilXV's Crosstrek Build

Greetings fellow trekkers, I'm PhilXV.
    wsa82q.jpg 15g6s1w.jpg 59u354.jpg
    I bought my tangerine orange pearl at the end of 2014. Named her Jacklyn, cause shes a pumpkin. Did my research on capable Suv's pretty much everything but Subaru. Had to meet certain parameters like no recalls, good car for starting a family, AWD or 4WD, and something for racing. Forester not my style, though the 2.5L engine id rather have, or the H6. The car did feel slugish, so I tried some things to help. Alot of those ideas came from this forum.

Shes saved me from two accidents, one brz changing lanes without signaling, and a brutal rear ending by a cobalt that took a year away from my life. I told the dealership if shes totalled im buying an sti. They rebuilt her and gave me an official STI badge for the rear. She was put back together so much, she became frankensteins monster. So I would make her a real monster.
    aay529.jpg fzakbc.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I rather build than buy. I'm a professional chef by trade, with a couple of cheap harbor freight tools. Started with some plasti dip, hitch, charcoal filter removal. Evolved into Lift, off road wheels, Lightweight pulleys, Speakers and tweeters, subwoofers, skidplates, and a supercharger.
    24pccue.jpg 2mpeb1i.jpg okwf81.jpg
    Dirt trails, Off roading at Rausch Creek in PA, getting her ready for autocross. I even got impreza struts to lower her 2".
    19l35z.jpg 5n5f13.jpg
    Im asked alot why supercharger vs turbo. well I always wanted a supercharger since I was a kid and watched movies and drag racing with those cool blowers on the hood. I stated before the car needs low end torque. I have boost as soon as I hit the peddle.

Now for more technical, Eaton M65 comes from CLK model mercedes (mine from a 2004) it honestly took longer to pull it out at the junkyard then it did to install. It comes with a small pulley vs the m45 and m62. According to specs its 4-14 psi. I'm set to 5lbs, but honestly with the instant boost 2lbs is more than enough for daily driving. No problems for a year now. I do have a brz 2bar map sensor (not installed yet), Tactrix 2.0 cable, could get a stronger fuel pump, and maybe wrx injectors if i choose to go more boost. I want to tune it, when i have some throw away money, but I got recently married a few months ago with a child on the way.

Another question im constantly asked, is why 2 blow off valves. Turbos have a wastegate, and a bov. Superchargers can run 1 bov, however mine were cheap. Doing my research several Supercharged cars run 2 bov's one before intercooler and one after. My set up also runs more efficient, cause my Maf sensor is before the throttlebody not at the Filter. Car reads this much air coming in, and compensates, if it all blows out the bov you'll probably run too rich.

Piping is based around the new wrx FMIC set up, had to diy washer fluid resevoir out of a washer fluid bottle. holds the same amount as the oem one too. I highly recommend the Oil catch can, specially if you have the 2018 crosstrek.

It honestly costed around 300$ to supercharge. all of it was free shipping too.

Junkyard supercharger 90$
    Supercharger oil 7$
    Ebay piping & intercooler 100$
    x2 ebay Bov 80$
    Boost pressure gauge 15$
    Materials and bolts to make bracket 15$
    Longer belt 33$
    161l4w3.jpg 30tgawo.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Site Sponsor RalliSport Automotive's Avatar
    Love it! Thanks Phil.

On a side note, boost without a tune? Now that takes some big balls. Glad it's worked out thus far. Congrats on the marriage and the upcoming little one too!

Wow! That's an inspiring build for sure. Love that you chose to go the route less traveled

Subscribed....Phil the thrill for Prezident....Merika !!
    4th BADGE
    2015 Venetian Red Limited w/Moonroof, Keyless Access/PB-Start, Nav
    Mods: Window Air deflectors, Tow Hitch, Polks MM651 Speakers
    Rockford Fosgate PBR amp 300x4

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.......

Supercharger started to squeak, with some simple google search it looked like it was the dougnut like rubber coupler. Atleast its easier to take off now than it was at the junkyard. Oil was still good, but got fresh oil anyways.
    10776gk.jpg
    Decided to replace the autozone spectre 3"-2.5" reducers on my maf, which apparently were dry rotted to hard bricks. had to redo piping .
    9jgker.jpg
    New setup, and still fits under the hood.

the tune is coming, im looking at area1320 motorworks. after fuel pump of course, probably walbro 255 that everyone gets.

Since weathers clearing up I'll try to post some driving around whine, fly bys, 0-60s.

Site Sponsor RalliSport Automotive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilXV View Post
    Since weathers clearing up I'll try to post some driving around whine, fly bys, 0-60s.
    Give us roots type SC whine, we demand it!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast