PhilXV's Crosstrek Build

Model Years 2012 to 2017 
30K views 61 replies 9 participants last post by  PhilXV 
#1 ·
Greetings fellow trekkers, I'm PhilXV.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Compact sport utility vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Crossover suv Compact sport utility vehicle
Transport Auto part Automotive exterior Games Vehicle

I bought my tangerine orange pearl at the end of 2014. Named her Jacklyn, cause shes a pumpkin. Did my research on capable Suv's pretty much everything but Subaru. Had to meet certain parameters like no recalls, good car for starting a family, AWD or 4WD, and something for racing. Forester not my style, though the 2.5L engine id rather have, or the H6. The car did feel slugish, so I tried some things to help. Alot of those ideas came from this forum.

Shes saved me from two accidents, one brz changing lanes without signaling, and a brutal rear ending by a cobalt that took a year away from my life. I told the dealership if shes totalled im buying an sti. They rebuilt her and gave me an official STI badge for the rear. She was put back together so much, she became frankensteins monster. So I would make her a real monster.
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Car Alloy wheel
Automotive lighting Vehicle Car Light Mode of transport

See less See more
#32 ·
Evans tuning also wont tune it, claims ECUflash master. Just gonna send it at this point.

So signed up for Boxerfest!! Autocross applicant! and I hear there might be a dyno!! Gotta claim the "Worlds Fastest Crosstrek" (with FB20 engine) "Worlds 1st Roots Supercharged Crosstrek" is already mine!!

So cause I'm cheap, to my local junkyard for another set of wheels for AutoX
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Spoke

Luck have it, I scored Legacy 17"x7" wheels!! also... They had Autocross tires on them! and they were also new tires! 220$ for 800$ worth of wheels and tires. If I bought the legacy wheels from subaru parts, and the tires too which are Definity HP200 215/45r17.
Tire Alloy wheel Rim Automotive tire Wheel

Primed, and Painted.
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire

#35 ·
Evans tuning also wont tune it, claims ECUflash master. Just gonna send it at this point.

So signed up for Boxerfest!! Autocross applicant! and I hear there might be a dyno!! Gotta claim the "Worlds Fastest Crosstrek" (with FB20 engine) "Worlds 1st Roots Supercharged Crosstrek" is already mine!!
Well, I don’t think you’ll claim worlds fastest. The Grabowski Brothers’ Crosstrek Desert Racer still has the FB20. I can’t say what it’s putting out because I’ve been sworn to secrecy, but I can say it’s enlightening. Especially since it’s still naturally aspirated. And it makes me excited for when aftermarket companies finally embrace it and support it. There’s serious potential.

But, in lieu of World’s Fastest, I’ll throw in World’s Best Sounding. Because that WHINE! And hell, might even be Worlds Best Tasting, depending on just how good of a chef you really are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#38 · (Edited)

So signed up for Boxerfest!! Autocross applicant! and I hear there might be a dyno!! Gotta claim the "Worlds Fastest Crosstrek" (with FB20 engine)"
Can we make the title "Worlds Fastest Crosstrek/Impreza (with FB series engine)" so I can get in on this too?
My TMIC is nearly complete. Warning: increased boost imminent. :sFun_bananasplit:

#33 ·
So many questions are asked about Springs, Struts, lowering, lifting. I want to lower my car like I did a while back with the impreza struts, but those springs are $%&^.

Crosstrek springs are longer and stronger, vs Impreza springs
Coil spring Suspension Font Auto part Metal

Comparison of Crosstrek springs top vs Impreza spring bottom on both Impreza shocks.
Suspension part Auto part Shock absorber Suspension Coil spring

Comparison of Crosstrek front spring on Impreza shock, vs bottom Impreza spring on Impreza shock
Auto part Transmission part Automotive engine part Gear Machine

The Crosstrek shocks are just 2" longer at the bottom, everything else is the same about the shock.

Soon to be mounted, and I'll give my review on it. It was 20 each at the junkyard, totaling 160$, took forever to find a crashed crosstrek, and found 2 at a junkyard an hour drive away. Also scored a CVT shift boot with the orange stitching!

#34 ·
Auto part Tire Rim Automotive tire Coil spring

Forgot to say, I didnt trust those spring tops from the impreza, the impreza tops of the springs have a smaller circle for their top. Their spring top is a flat disc with a flat piece of rubber. Atleast the 2016 impreza did, idk bout earlier models. The Crosstrek springs were also from a 2016 too.
Suspension part Coil spring Auto part Suspension Shock absorber

Crosstrek tops on Impreza shocks.

#36 ·
I know about the The Grabowski Brothers I didnt know it was a FB20, HP to weight ratio must be insane considering Crosstrek weighs over 3000lbs. Is it a real Crosstrek or just the engine? maybe frame? I would love baja suspension on my Crosstrek. The record I know of now is 220hp 10psi turbo crosstrek. I might have some more drag strip videos coming up. Hopefully I can get more than myself to go. Would be nice to see the pov from outside the car. It would be at the Island dragway in NJ.

Thanks for best sounding, but we all know its a turbos world, and I'm just a lonely supercharger. Honestly who doesnt love hearing compressor surge, Rallisport needs a bov delete lol.

Opening up my own vineyard under the hood of my car lol. PhilXV's supercharged pumpkin wine! I'm more of a vodka man myself, I like to make flavored vodka. Skittle vodka is one of my most sought after, fruit loop vodka, and jolly rancher vodka. My secret is Pinnacle whipped vodka. Just make the recipe but with Pinnacle whipped vodka and it tastes way better.

A Photographer posted more pics of saved by the bell Rally X
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Subaru Rallycross
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rallycross Subaru

#39 ·
I saw its almost complete, been following your https://www.facebook.com/RalliSportAutomotive posts, and your forum page. I just noticed its a Impreza, Island Blue Pearl? My wife has a 2017 the same color sport edition. Maybe she'll get a Rallisport turbo! probably not, she's not a car person :( I cant believe the wrx one didnt fit. the NA/T subaru forums people do slant them to get them to fit, I think they also use hood spacers to make it work. Those long ones dont fit for the FMIC setup? sux we have foglights, Volkswagen's have a tiny intercooler front passenger side fog light area. Crosstreks have that clearance we could mount an intercooler under the skid plate, but no one would like the loss of ground clearance. Maybe hood louvers to cut costs down but reverse angled to flow into the intercooler?

As for the title, gen 1 is different than gen 2, and I do this for fun. Since its for fun I'm stuck in modified for Boxerfest. This one guy posted his RB26 swapped STI, like I have any chance lol. I am told its 80% driver 20% tires, and my only practice is a straight line on the road :p. Also someone lowered their Crosstrek and got 7 sponsors, I supercharge mine and got zero! I'm just going to white snake it, and go again on my own.

New cvt shift boot! wrapped in carbon fiber orange! only 5$! but how you ask? since the 2016 crosstrek has a sliding thingy for park to drive and the 2014 has a electronic light up thingy. Drilled out the 4 what looks like melted plastic caps, swapped it and glued it. Ok I didnt go crazy with the orange spray, I accidently got the lawn marking orange spray and that was bad. its been repainted with the right paint, but that lawn marker paint did its damage.
Vehicle Car Gear shift Auto part Center console

#41 ·
If you tune me, I shall become more powerful than you can ever imagine. Its definitely an option since your the first and only one to actually offer to try and tame frankensteins monster. I'm finally getting my laptop back to try and tune the map sensor in to pull the car out of limp mode, with rom raider. Cars been good over 10k miles and almost approaching 1 year anniversary (July 18th) since its been supercharged. You can Private Message me a price, It may take some time to gather funds, Recent autocross purchases, and baby due in august, But I can make it happen. I'll just race some unsuspecting mustang's at the drag strip :p

#43 ·
I gave it some thought and I'd love to tune your setup if for nothing else than bragging rights, so I'd do it for only $50 more than what I charge the NA guys, so $400. Assuming you already have a Tactrix Openport 2.0, the only additional cost would be $100 for the software needed. Again, this would not be an overnight success. I would first need data logs of your current fuel trims, timing, etc. I know you upgraded your fuel pump but can't remember if you were planning on going with larger injectors? I'm a perfectionist and I take this stuff very seriously, so I proceed with gradual calculated steps.

I shared Rallisports recent facebook post to the "Subaru XV Crosstrek" group. It lit up!!!
Yeah it did! My Fb posts usually have an extremely humble reach of under 300 people. I check on my TMIC post and...
Cat Whiskers Small to medium-sized cats Felidae Photo caption
So thank you for that, it was much appreciated!

#42 ·
I shared Rallisports recent facebook post to the "Subaru XV Crosstrek" group. It lit up!!! Boost is always a hot topic for the Crosstrek.

Lowered 2" on the Impreza shocks and Crosstrek springs. I also got adjustable camber bolt lower control arms. I didnt use or need the bushings. Works lifting and lowering. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JR8Y3YK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Subaru Subaru

Drives way better, like its on rails.

Subaru and chill yesterday 5/18/2019. Was at a subaru salvage yard.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Transport Public space
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior Family car

They had the fabled WRX STI hatchback exhaust! so you pretty much know what happened.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper
Vehicle Auto part Car Exhaust system Automotive exhaust

Using oem hangars and U-bolts, So I can manually adjust height to get a flush look. I know the pics a bit off, I adjusted it right after the pic. Sanded, 2000 degree primer, 2000 degree black paint. Sound clip as soon as I get a new gasket.

#44 ·
Because of that post I met a guy with a CVT Crosstrek with the Avo turbo kit that he actually just installed the day before. Hes also going to be at boxerfest, just spectating :( would love to see in action at the auto cross event or as show car. Another guy that has the Avo kit, used an STI ECU for accessport tuning. When questioned he would not give up the model / part number used, but its interesting to know an STI ECU could be used on our Crosstreks.

It sounds like a great deal, I did want to add in 440cc WRX injectors as assurance the car would not go lean, and potentially go more boost, but only for the drag strip like a 1/4 mile run, 0-60, a top horsepower dyno run, then back to my low boost setup for normal daily driving. Basically a daily driver tune, and a "just send it" tune.

Side note, the STI exhaust with boost, (probably just hell yea rumble, and butt dyno) but it does feel a bit faster.

#47 ·
So heres what I tried and failed at a while back. When I swap out these values, the car dies after you start it up. Tried to use Romraider, cant get logger to work, or Romraider to load the Ecuflash created ECU copy. Thats why you hire a tuner, cause this stuff makes no sense.

MAP Sensor Scaling Values (stock)
Pressure Offset: -2.901
Voltage Multiplier: 4.834

MAP Sensor Scaling Values (what they want me to do)
Pressure Offset: -0.045
Voltage Multiplier: 0.367

Text Font

Text Font Line Document Number

#48 ·
A while back, (before the supercharger) I experimented with a cold air intake to the bottom of the stock air box. Hole saw'd the blocked off inlet at the bottom of the stock air box, and with some pvc piping I routed the bottom of the air box to fog light. Worked very well, but I had the glass fogs with h11's set up as DRL's so I put the fog light back in. In an attempt to keep the air intake temperature down for tracking the car, I decided to try it again. Side note, the supercharger whine actually got quieter with the cold air intake setup.

Product Auto part Wheel Metal
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

#49 ·
So I'm finally getting Rallisports tune. Lots of back and forth with the SubaruEdit software, like 2 hours worth. They said they'll have it tomorrow, I'm assuming definitions or something to allow the software to read the ecu? So plan a day ahead if your getting a tune.

#52 ·
Yay!! Yeah, they get the fun job of reverse engineering ecu code for definitions. The subaruEdit registration process is a lot of back and forth, but they are protecting their intellectual property by insuring that only you can use what you paid for, no sharing! lol

So heres what I tried and failed at a while back. When I swap out these values, the car dies after you start it up. Tried to use Romraider, cant get logger to work, or Romraider to load the Ecuflash created ECU copy. Thats why you hire a tuner, cause this stuff makes no sense.
No worries, I got you :)

#51 ·
This is so cool. I may uave to scrounge up an Eaton myself.

But first, i need a RR definition file and logger for my 2015 5spd.

Currently i am putting together a AVCS timing reference to get an idea if what is going on with the cams since the timing map values dont seem to indicate much with respect to position without an initial reference.

#53 ·
Boxerfest 2019! Got to race in the autocross. First 3 laps I left it in first gear, then left it in automatic and I did a lot better. Shame I was stuck in turbo modified, even the H6 swapped Impreza was kept in stock AWD bracket...

Mike from Rallisport Automotive has been working non stop, to tune my car. I'm no longer 14 afr at 5lbs of boost. Its not ready for the dyno. I will have it on the dyno when its ready though.

Time results.
http://www.getfastevents.com/wp-con...HuDHWGiswYqVsrK wNFL5jkjWO74loHrkzZQmbtMCFgo

My latest vid.

#56 ·
It wouldnt affect my class. The supercharger is hindering me in that category, but thats pilot error. I have a lot more practice driving in straight line lol. 20mm wrx sway bar helped alot when I was lifted, lowering on the impreza shocks and crosstreks springs really stops body roll. Reinforcing the subframe does sound tempting. I might mock up a design with pvc pipe and fabricate it out of steel piping.

Grabowski Brothers’ Crosstrek Desert Racer specs say 2.5L at 300hp. Looks like the fb25 with the Brz FA20 intake manifold on it. Still thats insane for N/A, reminds me of the K series N/A honda's

If you do go for a M90 build, I recommend Rallisport to tune it, hes figured out a lot on my build since hes started.

Sorry for late reply,
I would never choose Throttlehappy, His reviews on just this forum alone should be enough. Dont get me started on that fake youtube of the N/A Crosstrek.

#57 ·
The Desert Racer is a bit of a mystery. My understanding is that they had to keep the FB20 for class rules, but bored/stroked out to 2.5L, which Quirt is pretty famous for his “Monster Cranks” for stroking EJ’s, so it would make sense. However, I guess the FB25 is the same engine family, so who knows... They’ve kept it under wraps pretty well. But I’ve heard from a trusted source that it had well over 300hp when they first built it. But they could have detuned for reliability reasons. I theoretically sell Crawford brake pads, but getting them to answer the phone for a rep is damn near impossible, so meh.

As for mine. I’m still really hoping I can get my hands on a spare FB20 block to play with and turbocharge. I have four different friends that work for four different Subaru performance shops, you’d think I would have been able to get one in the last 3 years I’ve been trying... the damn things don’t quit apparently. But I certainly haven’t ruled anything out. In fact, there are opportunities on the horizon for some whine.

I just got tuned by Delicious Tuning last week, and he did a great job and is local. Super linear powerband now. And he bumped my idle speed up so the AC no longer nearly kills the car when the compressor kicks on, lol. But to be honest, I’m a little gun shy about email tunes after that prick Throttle Happy. But I do love how open Rallisport has been throughout your process. If he was local, I’d go to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#58 ·
I slowed down in my posts, because I just had my first born son. 7/30/19, 7lbs 5oz, 21" long. We dont know if hes a N/A, Turbo, or Supercharger baby yet, but he does perk up and smile when the supercharger whines up :).

I am still posting youtube vids on my channel.
I have been posting car meets, and mods on instagram.
Though it may be after all my other posts, I'll try to keep on posting to the SubaruXVforum.

Recently I met the turbo XV owner from NJ at the Team Boxer Squad East meet. He owns a Subaru shop, and is a vendor for the AVO turbo kits in america. He was incredibly helpful, and very insightful.

The FA20T WRX engines have an oil exchanger that should also fit ours, and a lot of BRZ's have been adding the same oil heat exchanger. Where the CVT heat exchanger is we can tap into for a CVT temp gauge, or cooler.

The heat exchangers are hooked up to the radiator, coolant heats up faster than oil so it will help on cold starts, and also cools but keeps it around its coolant degree so around 200 degrees. Again I learn all this stuff from real car peeps that know what they're doing, or a lot of google searching.

So I kind of started my own Street Outlaws PA, or inlaws, maybe bylaws. I plan on racing some friends and family legally. I really want to see what my junkyard ebay build can do against an official kit.

Dyno and more drag runs are on the way. Rallisport has been getting orders left and right. My 5lbs daily driver tune is perfect, plus as a dad I have less time doing things for a while.

#59 ·
Congrats on the new child! Best of luck to you all!

#60 ·
Heat exchanger installed, works great. Temps stay under 200degrees, 198degrees after a spirited 2 hour highway drive. ;) If your tracking your car and oil temps are a problem its not a bad way to warm and cool your oil. BRZ's use this, and it works for them.

Part# 21311AA180, 21317AA070, same ones on the WRX FA20T
You have options on heat exchangers, Neo with his AVO turbo kit runs one from an EJ. Shop around some subaru parts shops are cheaper than others.

Next is routing the coolant lines, I did what Neo said and connected it to the heater core line. The two radiator tubes next to each other by the brake master cylinder, the left one with the blue arrow pointing towards the engine. Bought 2 1/2" to 5/8" brass barb reducers and 7ft of 1/2" radiator hose and some screw clamps for all the hoses. Used about 6ft but its better to have it and not need it. Clamped the radiator hoses down while the engine was ice cold. Cut the hose and applied the reducer, hooked up the lines and squeezed the big radiator hose to "burp it". If your radiator fluid is low after this, you can add some more Subaru Supercoolant or distilled water. The stock crosstrek filter still fits on the new adapter.

BRZ's attach coolant lines to a tap on the big radiator hose in front of the engine, by the belts. Since their throttle body is on the front, to the coolant lines on the throttle body.

Significantly cheaper to buy the parts and diy vs a 600$+ kits.

I posted the pics on Instagram of mine with the 2015+ WRX FA20T heat exchanger. Since free pic URL sites are closing down.
Sources I also looked at.

#62 ·
I made another video, showing recent mods. 2015 wrx Oil warmer/cooler, CVT temp gauge.

1/8-27 NPT transmission test port extender
Prosport EVO oil temperature gauge and temp sensor
Universal T adapter 3/8" with 1/8 NPT port
More screw clamps.

I hooked it into the return line coming out of the CVTF cooler. The two smaller 3/8"s lines are CVT. I used the left line going back into the CVT. Clamped the hose, cut it and installed T adapter. Dont over tighten the NPT extender its designed to be harder to thread the more you tighten it down. Follow the directions given, was pretty easy to do. Saw a drop of my CVT fluid, still looks brand new at 43k miles.

CVTF diagram.

Seat Covers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQVVMLV?ref=em_1p_0_ti&ref_=pe_2313370_427901410

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.