Model Year 2012 to 2017 PhilXV's Crosstrek Build - Page 3

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: PhilXV's Crosstrek Build

Yes, I tried using ecuflash to set the upgraded map sensor to get rid of the check engine light, then my car wouldnt start. Uploaded the base map I saved beforehand and was like "nope." I could try rom raider, and pray to the subaru gods. Since I got the pump and injectors, next is tune. Figured Id head there early and install injectors, or do it at my bro in laws so he can tow me with his trailer, unless hes busy. I'm also signed up for Rallycross on May 5th, its going to be my first time with the supercharger, and first time since my bad accident.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Site Sponsor RalliSport Automotive's Avatar
    You probably already know this but you need to re-scale your your MAP sensor pressure offset and voltage multiplier tables (with the info supplied with the new MAP sensor) or your car won't start: https://ecutek.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/...sor-Re-scaling

These little buggers *edit: this pic is way too small*
    MAP scaling.jpg

I'm still running my stock MAP sensor and it flat lines at exactly 16.83, which my GT2554R can hit as low as 1,700rpm I'll order a 2.5bar or 3bar Omni Power MAP sensor tomorrow.

And you actually don't need to connect Romraider to your ecu at all to use it's logger function, so no risk at all there.

Well I’ll be damned. I mean, I like food. A lot. But I never knew a chef would be my hero!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RallyeBourne View Post
    Well I’ll be damned. I mean, I like food. A lot. But I never knew a chef would be my hero!
    Yeah, let's see Gordon Ramsay attempt a DIY supercharger build!

I was honesty planning on slapping an old TD04 from a WRX on the trek and run the wastegate pressure. But now I want to supercharge.

Problem is, I don’t know much about supercharging. Like, at all. I know a belt spins a pulley which creates boost. And that concludes my knowledge. I can, and have, built turbo systems. But the plumbing of superchargers is really where I’m at a loss.

So I guess I know what I’m doing the rest of the day.

I already found there are a couple M90’s in a couple of Regals in one of my local junkyards. $92.50.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilXV View Post

LOL! Oh Gordon, you're such a hot head. Some prefer the road less traveled and I applaud their ambition!

Quote Originally Posted by RallyeBourne View Post
    I was honesty planning on slapping an old TD04 from a WRX on the trek and run the wastegate pressure. But now I want to supercharge.

Problem is, I don’t know much about supercharging. Like, at all. I know a belt spins a pulley which creates boost. And that concludes my knowledge. I can, and have, built turbo systems. But the plumbing of superchargers is really where I’m at a loss.

So I guess I know what I’m doing the rest of the day.

I already found there are a couple M90’s in a couple of Regals in one of my local junkyards. $92.50.

Isn't a supercharger technically simpler than a turbocharger?
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

I basically built mine like a turbo system, just running off belt instead of exhaust. I dont even have wastegates or bypass, I rely heavily on the 2 bov's. first start, no bov's I was running 11lbs of boost for a few seconds on a cold start before the pipes blew off (damn cold cvt). One bov brought it down to 8lbs, and 2 was my magic number. M65 and M90 have those small pulleys, probably need 3 bov's to hold the M90 back. Theres a honda with a M90 on youtube, uses 2 wastegates set to 14psi, cause it builds so much boost.

I did think about going turbo. The brz turbo kit has a up pipe and down pipe running off stock headers. Could try to build something off that, but I guess I cheated all that with a supercharger.

Mounting an M90 without cutting the hood, its that long nose that hurts it. I would prolly lean M45 or smaller. Our engines cant handle too much boost anyway. Its got to be bolted to the block. There is a guy with an EJ mounted in an old volkswagen beetle, hes got an M90 aluminum welded into the intake manifold.

It might fit if you build a bracket like I did, but all around the intake manifold.
    2h7flfr.jpg 21ebxow.jpg mi14cg.jpg
    Yes its spare scrap from my garage and bolts laying around :P

Got the dreaded brake light switch recall in the mail. I unbolted a bov, had to drive it normally /sigh. Cleared two codes P0108 - Powertrain Map pressure circuit high input, and P0171 - Powertrain System too lean (bank 1). I honestly expected more than 2 codes. I did download rom raider, using the same definition pack from RomRaider • View topic - 2014 XV Crosstrek CVT 2.0 FB20 USDM EP5L000B ECU 91243E4107 where I got my ecuflash definitions. Havent done anything with it yet.

So back to my story. Rolled into the dealership quiet like, told them I needed the recall on the brake switch. Waited and watched. Cue supercharger whine! huge grin on my face. Mechanic sprints across shop like a supra showed up. "Is that a supercharger!" popped the hood, total bad *** achievement unlocked. That made my day.

Found one salesman walking the lot. So I asked how fast this 2015 hyperblue crosstrek is, You know 0-60 ish. "5 seconds" 5 seconds... its a cvt and its 5 seconds? "Yea" so its faster than the wrx? "well no". Moral of the story do your research, cause these guys know nothing. Kind of like these guys on facebook going "crosstrek can be tuned to 5-6 second 0-60 with just ssd intake, borla exhaust, and lightweight crank pulley." (People claiming this is the same people that tuned some cars on this forum) According to that logic, when im tuned I should be on par with ferrari 0-60s. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To Everyone thats on this forum, who's modded, shared, guided, done something thought impossible for this car, you are my inspiration. If it wasnt for you guys, I wouldnt of come this far. Has nothing to do with being incredibly competitive, in fact I'm the most non competitive so I win :P
    Last edited by PhilXV; 04-26-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    "Jacklyn" 2014 Tangerine Orange Pearl XV Crosstrek Limited

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast