Model Year 2018 and Newer RalliSport 2018 Crosstrek FB20D Turbo Build - Page 7

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: RalliSport 2018 Crosstrek FB20D Turbo Build

Site Sponsor RalliSport Automotive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilXV View Post
    I think that Crawford car is just for show. They claim forester xt internal hood scoop but I dont see it on their pics. Forester XT has a much deeper hood for it, and the crawford xv has nothing under the hood, not even the padding.
    I think you may be right. I was excited at first to hear that Crawford used the FXT's internal hood scoop as this was the perfect low cost solution and would save me the hassle of fabricating one myself. But after examining some parts breakdown pics, it looks completely different and even with modification I don't think I would work under the Crosstrek's hood

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OldEvoOwner View Post
    This is exciting, saving for the kit!
    The original prototype kit that I'm currently running is for sale, let me know if you'd like to put down a deposit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Let's take a look at some TMIC candidates. From left to right, factory WRX TMIC, Mini Cooper S factory FMIC, generic intercooler, big daddy Mishimoto intercooler.
    thumbnail_IMG_4692.jpg

The factory WRX TMIC didn't come remotely close to fitting (due to the transverse end caps). The Mini Cooper FMIC actually fit quite nicely, with the ability to tuck back under the rear lip of the hood seal, so I'll keep that in mind. The generic intercooler also fit nicely and actually could have been a little wider. I don't know how efficient it actually is but the build quality left something to be desired (you get what you pay for). I wanted to go with the Mishimoto for obvious reasons but had some serious doubts that I would be able to get it to fit. I actually had to remove about 3/8" from each end cap collar and had to remove twice that from each coupler to get it to fit. As it sits, there isn't even an inch of wiggle room between the brake lines (on the passenger side) and the ecu (on the drivers side). Hey, go big or go home, right? It doesn't look quite as glamorous with the cardboard protecting the delicate fins, but you get the general idea.
    thumbnail_IMG_4697.jpg

Now all I have to do is weld in some bungs before and after the intercooler for the Digital Dual Air Intake Temperature Gauge that's already wired up and waiting. Looking good is great and all, but this intercooler needs to perform and perform well if it's to be included in the turbo kit. I'll obviously need to fabricate some under the hood air ducting in order to give it (or any other TMIC) a fair chance.

TMIC installed!
    thumbnail_IMG_4701.jpg

But does it work? Yes!
    It was 76 outside today when I tested it. I purposely removed the heat shielding I had around the intake to allow more hot engine air in, to mimic warmer outside temps. Even with no dedicated air ducting (other than removing the upper radiator support plastic trim) it took 125 degree post turbo temps and dropped them to 95 while cruising.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilXV View Post
    I think that Crawford car is just for show. They claim forester xt internal hood scoop but I dont see it on their pics. Forester XT has a much deeper hood for it, and the crawford xv has nothing under the hood, not even the padding.

What the forester xt no scoop looks like.

I like the TMIC sprayer, specially in high heat conditions like dreamwrx states, or tracking the car. Could be a side addition with an extra charge. Subaru Crosstrek Turbo XV RA edition :P
    Quote Originally Posted by RalliSport Automotive View Post
    I think you may be right. I was excited at first to hear that Crawford used the FXT's internal hood scoop as this was the perfect low cost solution and would save me the hassle of fabricating one myself. But after examining some parts breakdown pics, it looks completely different and even with modification I don't think I would work under the Crosstrek's hood
    I went back to look at Crawford's pictures and it doesn't seem to the internal scoop either. But... one of the first XV Turbo (FA20DIT swapped0) uses the FXT internal scoop. https://dp.subaru.com/dp13-1-mods-wrx-crosstrek

So For sure its possible in an earlier model, with the specific FA20DIT engine.. not sure on the 2018+ and other engines.

Holy hidden hood scoops Rallisport, Dreamwrx is right! Can it be done on the newer generation? This changes everything, even opens up WRX swaps without the need for FMIC. Good eye Dreamwrx.

2018+ Prototype Turbo Kit For Sale. SAVE BIG $$$

As a quick reminder, this 2018+ prototype turbo kit IS for sale, for anyone interested in saving over $1,000. Oh, and with all my turbo kits, if you are a current NA tune customer, you can deduct your entire tuning fee cost. So that will save you an additional $300-$350 (depending on if you prepaid for the tune).

Pricing for a new complete turbo kit (including full tune) will be $3,950. I am offering the prototype kit for $2,900 and it also comes with full tune support from me.

The prototype kit is currently 95% complete and will ship after it is 100% complete and tuned, (although I can box it up and ship it out tomorrow if you really wanted), it just needs the oil catch can plumbed in, water lines and TMIC air ducting. The prototype kit is also totally customizable. You can pick what color silicone couplers you want. You can pick if you want a BOV or recirculation. You can also pick how much power you want:
    4psi - approx 200hp, although it won't pin you back in your seat, it is a welcome power increase and feels more like a strong v6. I would consider this a pretty safe level of boost. My gut feeling is that you should be able to run this modest amount of boost day and night without worry.
    5psi - this is where the smile factor starts to kick in. You are now running a turbo and you know it (and if you choose a BOV, so will others).
    6psi - approx 230hp, Personally this is the highest boost level I would go with, although I will go as high as you want.

With all boost levels, the extra power comes on early, starting as soon as 1,800 (with 1 pound of boost) and 2 pounds of boost at 2,000rpm etc.
    The prototype is not an accurate representation of what the production version will be, it is a one-off unit. It will come with a truly one of a kind UEL header that can do double duty as a NA header AND a turbo header.
    This prototype kit is best suited for someone that is comfortable working under the hood of their car. Although I am here to help answer installations questions, it will not come with installations instructions. Will not come with the Tactrix cable and subaruEdit software needed to flash turbo tune. Will not come with any gauges, unless requested to do so for an extra cost.
    Recommended gauges: boost gauge (duh) and AFR gauge.

Contact me if you would like to buy or place a down a deposit. Thanks!

Prototype Turbo Kit Update: now tuning for the 6psi level.

Also, prototype turbo kit price drop: from $2,900 to only $2,500! Contact me via email or facebook if you are interested. A 50% deposit is required to hold it.
    www.facebook.com/RalliSportAutomotive

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7