Happy Hour: The Beer Discussion
  1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Happy Hour: The Beer Discussion

CoolHappy Hour: The Beer Discussion

OK. We've discussed food and coffee. Let's turn our attention to beer...another food group. Can any of you tell everyone about a favorite craft or locally brewed beer that you are proud of?

Marshall's is an awesome brewery in Tulsa. I've thoroughly enjoyed the seasonal Oktoberfest Lager (6.0% ABV) this year. When the keg runs dry on that, I'll go to their Atlas IPA (6.5% ABV). They have other brews but I really enjoy those 2. Since Oklahoma voted in high-point beer this year, 3 other breweries are coming online. The relaxed laws come into effect the summer of 2018.

The liquor laws in OK have been really stupid. The max ABV that can be sold in stores cold is 3.2% (Walmart, grocery, c-Stores). You can buy high point beer in liquor stores but it can't be cold. For this reason, Budweiser will not ship their 5% beers into OK. If you want a cold Bud, it's gotta be a 3.2%.

Needless to say, the independently owned liquor stores are in a quandary as to how they are gonna stay in business. Installing coolers will cause the prices of their cold beers to not be competitive with the Walmarts etc. BTW any one individual cannot own more than 1 liquor store. But surrounding states don't seem to have a problem with this. They'll just have to revise their business model.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Premium with Eyesight (aka Shrek)
    Quartz Blue Pearl

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium (aka Obie)
    Ice Silver Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Tired Hands in PA draws a crowd. Any of their hazy IPAs are winners. Some of the can releases can mean waiting hours in line. We also have Yards, Sole, Funk, 2SP, and a ton of new places right over the bridges in Jersey. Choices are getting to the point where it's hard to keep up.

I thought our liquor laws were nuts, but OK takes the cake.

A couple years ago a brewery in PA couldn't sell you a glass of beer. Now they can operate a bar selling PA made beers, wines, liquor and ciders along with their own product. Change comes fast. However all hard liquor still has to be bought from the state at a "Wine and Spirits Store." Some grocery stores are allowed to sell wine and beer in limited quantities if the purchase a restaurant liquor license.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "If it is on the internet, it must be true and shall not be questioned."
    - Abraham Lincoln

Yes I ran into some of PA's beer laws last winter in Willow Grove. All I wanted was a 6-pack to take back to the hotel room. I was told that the only place I could get a 6-er was from a distributor. Since it was in the early evening they were all closed. So I ended up getting them at a restaurant.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Premium with Eyesight (aka Shrek)
    Quartz Blue Pearl

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium (aka Obie)
    Ice Silver Metallic

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Hick View Post
    The liquor laws in OK have been really stupid. The max ABV that can be sold in stores cold is 3.2% (Walmart, grocery, c-Stores). You can buy high point beer in liquor stores but it can't be cold. For this reason, Budweiser will not ship their 5% beers into OK. If you want a cold Bud, it's gotta be a 3.2%.
    I really can't understand any beer at 3.2% (and all lite beers for that matter). You'll get more buzz drinking some of the coffees in the other thread! Plus, what's so special about 3.2%? why not 4? or 3?

The 3.2 is alcohol by weight, not the abv measurement we are used to. 3.2 abw is actually 4.0 abv. Oddly enough, 3.2 is also the month and day (March 22) FDR signed into law the Cullen–Harrison Act allowing the sale of low alcohol beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "If it is on the internet, it must be true and shall not be questioned."
    - Abraham Lincoln

Okay ... okay ... if you guys are looking for beer, you really ought to be looking out here in Colorado. Per capita, Colorado has more craft breweries than any other state in the US.

I'm telling you, if you can't find what you're looking for out here, you're not going to find it anywhere. ... party0008.gif

Gerry

When it comes time to order a beer, I enjoy a full-flavored dark beer like 1554 Black Lager (http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/1554) from New Belgium Brewing Company, 500 Linden Street, Fort Collins, CO 80524, and 21 Craven Street, Ashville, NC 28806.

If you are in the mood for a good German beer, I highly recommend Spaten Optimator (http://www.spatenbeer.com/biers-optimator.html), a doppleboch from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu, Munich, Germany.

Another of my favorite dark beers is Birra Moretti La Rossa (https://www.birramoretti.com/our-bee...etti-la-rossa/), a doppleboch from Italy that is brewed by Birra Moretti (Heineken).

Gerry

Banned
    For making you envious a comment from Germany, where the purity requirement has been defined for the first time (Bavarian purity law for beer in 1516)

In Germany we have 1388 breweries, as of March 2016.

Original German source: http://www.brauer-bund.de/download/T...t%20weiter.pdf
    For reading that website in English you have to use Google translate by yourself because a direct link to Google for translating doesn't work, I've tested that.

In the following English translation of a German Wikipedia website you find all types of beers in Germany:

https://translate.google.com/transla...and&edit-text=

Original German website:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bier_in_Deutschland

On that website isn't listed the so called "Bockbier" or "Doppelbock" (the latter one is even stronger).

That's a very tasty but concurrently the most dangerous German beer (own experiences ) with an alcohol strength up to 12 %.

Read here in English : https://translate.google.com/transla...ier&edit-text=

Original German Wikipedia website: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bockbier

My most preferred beers
    At home: Radeberger Pils, Grünfelder Pils, sometimes Bolten Altbier
    In Thuringia: Rhön Pils
    In Bavaria: Franziskaner Weißbier, Andechser Doppelbock

P.S. But very strong and strict rule for me:
    Before driving my XV absolutely no beer or any other alcohol!

Living in NH, my favorite 2 breweries are Stoneface Brewing and From the Barrel.

If we are talking local New England, well there are plenty in Massachusetts and Vermont. My favorites are Hill Farmstead, Lawsons, Trillium, Treehouse, just to name a few.

Germany has the best beer.

That said, Right Proper Brewing in DC has some good beer (with lousy names). I particularly liked their "Diamonds, Fur Coat, Champagne" sour. It was excellent.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast