Model Year 2012 to 2017 Is there a battery issue?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is there a battery issue?

Is there a battery issue?

Hi,

I'm looking to get a 2012-2017 XV. I test drove one the other day and the car dealer had to jump start it as the battery had gone flat due to it not having been driven in a little while (he was fairly non-commital about how long this was) - is this a common problem? I don't need to drive my car on a daily basis and don't want to have to jump start it every time I need it. Also what happens if, for example you want to leave it in an airport car park while you go on holiday for a couple weeks - will it start back up again!?!

Thanks for your advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Probably the battery is weak and it has been left parking there for a few weeks. Of course you can always negotiate to get new battery when you buy

The original battery is not very good. But any car sitting for a few weeks, the same could happen, as there is a constant draw on the battery. You could ask for a new battery as part of the sale.
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I like kr_xv's suggestion about negotiating for a new battery, but at the very least you will want to get the battery properly recharged on a charger. Don't simply rely on the car's alternator to fully recharge the battery. It won't.

Many batteries, especially non-OEM replacements, have a date code sticker indicating the month and year that the battery was made. If you find that the battery is several years old or older you might want to use that date code sticker to help negotiate for a new battery.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

So just to check, it's not like a known fault with the batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by Milliamo View Post
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

So just to check, it's not like a known fault with the batteries?
    As has already been stated, the OEM batteries in these cars are just so-so to begin with. You could call that a known fault, I guess, but it's easily remedied with a new battery.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
    As has already been stated, the OEM batteries in these cars are just so-so to begin with. You could call that a known fault, I guess, but it's easily remedied with a new battery.
    Exactly. But given the fact that many OEMs these days are doing similar things in order to save cost and weight, I wouldn't necessarily call it a fault but rather the current practices.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBill View Post
    I like kr_xv's suggestion about negotiating for a new battery, but at the very least you will want to get the battery properly recharged on a charger. Don't simply rely on the car's alternator to fully recharge the battery. It won't.
    The other thing is we don't know how well the battery was maintained in the first place. It's possible that the dealer isn't exactly honest (given their initial reaction, I expect it happens a lot on their lot)...

Any negotiation for a new battery should have some details connected to that battery other than 'NEW' - ie brand, CCA rating, age... Without those points, a 'new' battery might be new to you but has been sitting on the shelf for a year or more.

People are quick to call out failed OEM batteries. But in reality, I think it is more the owners that fail the battery. Unfortunately, most don't understand fully why batteries fail. Here are the top reasons:
    1. Running the battery dead, and then not immediately fully recharging it with a proper battery charger, preferably a smart charger that can rejuvenate sulfated and stratified batteries.
    2. Short infrequent trips that don't allow enough time for the alternator to fully charge the battery. Should periodically check your battery charge level. If it gets below 12.0, should do a full offline charge. I have a 12V socket USB plug that also displays battery voltage on a real time basis, so very easy to monitor.
    3. Not topping up battery fluid levels and cleaning terminals on a regular basis.

Cold climate sub -20c, the stock battery with 390 CCA is not enough power for the starter. The energy CCA dip low 100-130 CCA after overnight parking. Got mine replaced by Subaru with 500-600 CCA, my lights and dash do not flicker anymore when I start the car in sub -20c.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast