Model Year 2018 and Newer Battery DEAD this morning . Lesson Learned

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Battery DEAD this morning . Lesson Learned

Battery DEAD this morning . Lesson Learned

If you leave the rear hatch open when U park in the garage...the tiny light will kill your battery....Thank God I had a good battery charger and was able to finally get the car started...the battery was totally DEAD. Don't leave the hatch open...unless you have changed to LED lighting...which I will do soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I am surprised. My Pontiac used to turn off the lights after 10 minutes just because it thought I left them on by accident. I believe my Forester is just as smart. I'll take care not to do this in my '13 Crosstrek. Thanks for the heads up.

Super Moderator
    I would argue that even with LED lighting, you can still suffer the same fate depending on the amount of time the light has been left on and the condition of the battery at the time when the light was left on. Sure, it might be a few hours later but the battery may still have been drained enough so that the car won't start rather than completely dead.

An additional lesson learned (which it looks like you already know) is to have the ability to address the issue of a dead/low battery before you need to do it for real. This might not be a bad time to also check the condition of your battery no matter how 'new' you think it is as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AlexOD View Post
    I am surprised. My Pontiac used to turn off the lights after 10 minutes just because it thought I left them on by accident. I believe my Forester is just as smart. I'll take care not to do this in my '13 Crosstrek. Thanks for the heads up.
    I am curious ... have you ever left a door open in the Forester and checked to see if the interior lights turned off eventually, or are you just guessing?
    2018 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium, Sunshine Orange w/ Eyesight, Moonroof, Homelink Mirror, Change Assist, Blindspot Detection, Whippet in cargo area

I’ve left a map light on overnight a couple of times. I haven’t got LEDs but it didn’t kill my battery.
    Audio mod manual: https://www.impreza5.com/forum/26-el...er-thread.html
    Crutchfield directions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JV4...ub2Ssid9c/view

----

----
    18' Subaru Crosstrek "Stamford" - 29 Aug 17 -
    07' VW Rabbit "Bunny"- 4 Jan 07' - 30 Jun 17'
    94' Chev Beretta "Dirty B" - 24 Jun 96' - 4 Jan 07'
    85' Hyundai Stellar "Beast" - Mar 94' - Dec 95'

I too have left small lights like the rear hatch on all night and still started ok. You might stop and have your battery tested to see if you are on borrowed time and the event is your warning?

I've left the lights on a few times after working on something. We have LEDs and no problem.

We also keep Stanley Powerstations in our cars for emergencies...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

My old Focus used to turn everything off when the battery dropped to a level where it had just enough juice to start the car. I always wondered why more manufacturers don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by amx304 View Post
    My old Focus used to turn everything off when the battery dropped to a level where it had just enough juice to start the car. I always wondered why more manufacturers don't do that.

The Crosstrek will disable accessories when the battery is really weak. This is how I found out my battery was failing prematurely.
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

Crosstrek battery

My 2014 Crosstrek has the original equipment battery which is so weak you literally cannot use the
    ACC key position at all. I pulled over for 10 minutes with ACC and had to call AAA to restart my car/battery. A year later I forgot that quirk and sat for 5 minutes and AAA again. I probably should replace the battery with a stronger one but as long as the car was in warranty THEY told me to keep the original battery. Subaru never explained to me what was going on. The AAA guy told me and then Subaru verified that the original battery could never, never be used with a key in the ACC position. The other think I hate is the fact that when I curb my wheels on hills in San Francisco the wheel locks and you have to be really strong to rock it loose. Other than that, I love my Crosstrek.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast