Model Year 2018 and Newer Possible 18+ DRL Disable? Need Input - Page 7

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Possible 18+ DRL Disable? Need Input

In case anyone was wondering..the fuses that I tapped into in the engine bay (ones that are powered off when car is off and on when car is on) go through some weird power on check even after the car is off. My brother noticed this when my DD C light was on after I had been parked for an hour. CVT fuse (I have a 6MT), TCU fuse, Ignition are not powered when the car is off but went through that power on check. I routed my add a fuse to the interior and tapped into the "DRL" fuse. I believe the interior fuse box doesn't go through that power on check as I have my dash cam tapped in there and have never seen any strange videos of the car just sitting there.

If anyone decides to make their own LED DRL I figured that would be the best power source.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AstroKats View Post
    I'm still wondering why people want to disable the DRLs?
    99% of the time I don't want to. When I do, it's in a very special circumstance. A couple include:

* I'm parked in an apartment complex late at night and don't want to shine my headlights into an apartment where someone is probably sleeping. As soon as I turn away, I'd want to turn the lights on.

* I'm driving through a park with a Christmas light display. Washing out the displays lessens their impact.

* I'm driving up to a security gate where they ask you to turn off your headlights.

I'm generally with you. I run my lights in "Auto" mode. They're always on. I like being seen as much as being able to see.

But once every blue moon, it would be nice to be able to shut them off temporarily.

it's great that Subaru makes it difficult to deactivate safety features. we've already got enough guys tinting their tail lights black etc and they have their reasons too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

There is a DRL-specific relay located in the Engine compartment second relay box - see attached. I haven't tried it, but pulling that relay will likely disable the DRLs. BUT it is also possible it disables other things and/or throw some error codes.

In one of my previous cars, I had tapped the DRL fuse and installed an ON-OFF switch to be able to manually switch the DRL OFF when required. (FWIW, I had converted a OEM fog light switch and even installed a red LED in it that would illuminate the switch when the DRLs were OFF... )
    Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 5.57.06 AM.jpg

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7