Applies to All Model Years Parasitic battery draw

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Parasitic battery draw

Parasitic battery draw

There's been a lots of talk here about battery drain, when the car is not in use, whether overnight, or sitting for several weeks. Also, there may be added accessories that unwittingly may be draining more battery than you think.

Well, there is a way to measure this. Here is a thread from the Ascent forum that I found very interesting. They have had the same problems/complaints about batteries failing prematurely. So someone there took it upon himself to actually measure the parasitic drain while the car is idle. Someone could do this for the Crosstrek as well. Thread also has some useful information on new battery research and comparisons.
    https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/1...ry-issues.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Good post R P. After reading the entire thread one of the posters stated "the Ascent has a very modest parasitic drain of only 15-25ma, well below the 50ma acceptable limit. I very carefully measured it with a professional Fluke multimeter. This is not the problem.

The problem is that the OEM battery has a poor reserve capacity and cannot tolerate any moderate load for long with the engine off."

That seems to be the most plausible problem I found in the thread.

This guy looks like George Clooney's brother...

Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Interesting read. So what are the specs on the 2018 Premium Crosstrek battery and what would fit in its place?
    2018 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium, Sunshine Orange w/ Eyesight, Moonroof, Homelink Mirror, Change Assist, Blindspot Detection, Whippet in cargo area

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnack View Post
    Interesting read. So what are the specs on the 2018 Premium Crosstrek battery and what would fit in its place?
    Subaru Battery 2019-01-09 at 2.08.27 PM.jpg
    Wool When Wet Is Warm

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post

The problem is that the OEM battery has a poor reserve capacity and cannot tolerate any moderate load for long with the engine off."
    Saying that "the OEM battery has a poor reserve capacity" may not be an accurate statement (yes, I've said it before)... a more accurate statement may be "at the state the battery was delivered to the customer, the battery's reserve capacity may have been poor".

The difference is that we don't know what the condition of the battery when it was delivered to us. As customers, we believe that a new car = fresh battery but that may not be the case as the battery may have been in storage before assembly at the plant for a few months, then the 2 months of transit time, as well as time on the lot may have been enough time to create a certain level of sulfation in the battery causing the reduced capacity. I don't believe anyone has ever tested the OEM battery as it came with the car when new and no-one ever charges a new car either as there's a certain assumption that the dealer would have done that already.

Quote Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
    Saying that "the OEM battery has a poor reserve capacity" may not be an accurate statement (yes, I've said it before)... a more accurate statement may be "at the state the battery was delivered to the customer, the battery's reserve capacity may have been poor".
    That certainly sounds plausible Richard. I guess in either scenario the battery has a poor or diminished reserve capacity. Fortunately, I have had no issues with my battery. Could be that it was one of the first off the boat and to the dealer.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm

Quote Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
    That certainly sounds plausible Richard. I guess in either scenario the battery has a poor or diminished reserve capacity. Fortunately, I have had no issues with my battery. Could be that it was one of the first off the boat and to the dealer.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm

I saw a sign at the dealer saying that a battery lasts, on average, about 4 years.

I was surprised. I can only remember buying 1 battery since 1996, in 2002 for Dirty B. Don’t think I ever replaced the Bunny’s but may have. So that’s 2 batteries in 22 years.

Edit: yup, records have a new battery in 2014.
    Last edited by Doca; 03-01-2019 at 08:43 PM.
    Audio mod manual: https://www.impreza5.com/forum/26-el...er-thread.html
    Crutchfield directions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JV4...ub2Ssid9c/view

----

----
    18' Subaru Crosstrek "Stamford" - 29 Aug 17 -
    07' VW Rabbit "Bunny"- 4 Jan 07' - 30 Jun 17'
    94' Chev Beretta "Dirty B" - 24 Jun 96' - 4 Jan 07'
    85' Hyundai Stellar "Beast" - Mar 94' - Dec 95'

Quote Originally Posted by Doca View Post
    I saw a sign at the dealer saying that a battery lasts, on average, about 4 years.

I was surprised. I can only remember buying 1 battery since 1996, in 2002 for Dirty B. Don’t think I ever replaced the Bunny’s but may have. So that’s 2 batteries in 22 years.

Edit: yup, records have a new battery in 2014.
    Wow! What kind of battery maintenance do you do?
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast