Applies to All Model Years Parasitic battery draw - Page 5

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Parasitic battery draw

Quote Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
    Hmmm... you really only need a minute for it to stabilize, at least with mine. I wonder if it's the newer electronics like the headunit that has more of a drain even when off. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the headunit's fuse was pulled along with any of the other newer things...
    I didn't time it. The drain settled down to between 100-100 mA after maybe a minute. Then it didn't change much so I didn't wait much longer than another minute or so.
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I have replaced my battery 4 times under the 3 year warranty always listening to their BS as to why it failed or subaru diesnt make good batteries or whatever. I finally contacted Subaru customer service. Rhey contacted the dealer in Eugene. Finally after several days they discovered the parasitic draw was coming from a bad STARLINK module that needed to be replaced. I don't even use that stupid thing. Anyway it is supposed to turn off when the car turns off but it wasn't. They had to order the part which took another few days. Finally have my car back and no problems so far. I doesnt matter if i go to the grocery store or on a long trip. It now starts every time. Hopefully it will stay that way. Mine is a 2016 Crosstrek.

Quote Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
    In warmer or hot climates, the rules are actually a little different. Heat is tough on a battery in terms of the health of the battery as it damages the battery. It's common that batteries in these warmer climates have a shorter lifespan than in the colder climates. The cold doesn't necessarily damage a battery (unless the battery freezes due to cold and a low level of charge) but slows the reaction time of the chemistry which temporarily reduces the output of the battery - temporarily means as soon as it warms up, the battery's performance will usually recover.

So, your friend probably had a 'perfect storm' in that the battery may not have been in perfect condition when she received it and the heat in Texas did a number on the battery.
    Heat is indeed an even worse threat for Batteries, years ago while working for GM we were informed of major issues with AC/Delco batteries produced in the deep south and installed in not only New assembly line vehicles, but shipped to Parts depts all over the US/Canada, well these batteries failed in both cases

Some investigating by GM Mgt found that the production facility faced some (avg Very High temps/humidity) and that batteries were stock piled while awaiting shipping, in Non Air conditioned facility, not a Good Thing..

Solution: Upgrade storage,and production areas to keep temps cooler( more stable) and battery longevity issues were resolved.

As Richard says "The perfect storm of circumstances"

Troutbum
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand--and melting like a snowflake...”
    Francis Bacon

2018 Sunshine Orange Cross Trek Sport (Can) 6 MT "Tigger"

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Interesting discussion here on battery draw. I just went on a 12 day trip and left my 2019 Crosstrek in my heated garage. Came back and the battery was dead, reading 0.1 volts! Had the vehicle towed to the dealer (not the one we bought the vehicle from just 4 months ago since they couldn't even be bothered to return my call) where they charged the battery and just called to say come pick it up. The dealer suggested next time leaving the battery disconnected but when I said what if I am parking at the airport and want my alarm working he said well you risk a dead battery again. This kind of response to me seems ludicrous, have I really just bought a car that cannot be left on the street for any length of time without killing itself? Any thoughts if I should be pushing for a new battery, should I just roll the dice and hope the battery was in a low charge state on initial delivery (although I have 7000 km's on it now so surely it would have fully charged itself by now) or contact Subaru customer care and demand better answers to why this happened?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Britserker View Post
    Interesting discussion here on battery draw. I just went on a 12 day trip and left my 2019 Crosstrek in my heated garage. Came back and the battery was dead, reading 0.1 volts! Had the vehicle towed to the dealer (not the one we bought the vehicle from just 4 months ago since they couldn't even be bothered to return my call) where they charged the battery and just called to say come pick it up. The dealer suggested next time leaving the battery disconnected but when I said what if I am parking at the airport and want my alarm working he said well you risk a dead battery again. This kind of response to me seems ludicrous, have I really just bought a car that cannot be left on the street for any length of time without killing itself? Any thoughts if I should be pushing for a new battery, should I just roll the dice and hope the battery was in a low charge state on initial delivery (although I have 7000 km's on it now so surely it would have fully charged itself by now) or contact Subaru customer care and demand better answers to why this happened?

I think I would have the dealer (or some other place that sells batteries) do a battery test to make sure the battery is good. If the test shows the battery is defective, ask for a new battery under warranty. If it isn't the battery causing the problem, there must be some other circuit sucking power, even when the engine isn't running and I would insist the dealer find and correct the problem. If that doesn't work, I would contact Subaru directly. Best of luck.

Something not right if your battery went dead in 12 days. I would get them to check if there is some excessive parasitic draw happening. And yes, ask for a new battery. When a battery is fully discharged, and not immediately charged back up to full, it's life will be cut short.

One thing I learned from another forum, if your FOB is within a certain distance from your car, the computers stay active and cause additional parasitic draw.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

Before any discussion can be had about a bad battery, a discussion needs to be had about how the car is driven - ie how often, and how far is the average trip - as that will affect how well the battery has been charged prior to being left sitting for those 12 days.

Car batteries need to be driven often in order for them to maintain their charge. Notice that I didn't say 'for them to be charged' as cars aren't very good at charging batteries but are typically good at maintaining a charge if the car is driven far and often.

Good point on the usage Richard, in this case the car is used everyday and as the primary vehicle so gets plenty of use across the city so we can safely eliminate any concern around short trips and the battery not being able to be maintained by the vehicle.

Super Moderator
    Good point on the usage Richard, in this case the car is used everyday and as the primary vehicle so gets plenty of use across the city so we can safely eliminate any concern around short trips and the battery not being able to be maintained by the vehicle.
    Then what I would do is not go in blaming the battery initially as the dealer may take the easy route out and just swap out the battery without actually determining if it was the battery in the first place!

See if they will check the charging the system as well as the possibility of the parasitic drain first... these two things should be done anyways first but there are stories out there of people who had their battery swapped out twice before a dealer finally found a parasitic draw issue!

The other thing that I typically harp about is we don't know the condition of the battery when you first bought the car. We, as consumers, assume that the new car = new fresh battery. This might not be the case as the battery may have been swap out of another new car or has been sitting on the lot for months if not years. No one that I've heard has ever checked to see if the battery was actually new and fresh in their new car at delivery.

I had quite to heated discussion with the service guy. He wanted me to pick up the car and take it away with the same battery charged up but I declined. He tells me they checked the battery and it's good now and also they checked for any parasitic drain, I can only take his word for that however I told him I will not accept the assertion that I would have to live with a car that could drain it's battery just by sitting parked up for 12 days. Waiting to see how his discussion goes with the service manager and if they will change out the battery or do further tests.

I called the other Subaru dealer in town and he told me they have to explain to customers that this vehicle will drain the battery and he doesn't like telling customers that information but that's what happens due to the poor OEM battery. Funny, if I don't put OEM parts on my vehicle the manufacturer could invalidate my warranty but apparently they can provide crap OEM parts - strange world!

I'll update this board with the response from the dealer.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast