Model Year 2018 and Newer Harman Kardon amp bypass

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Harman Kardon amp bypass

Harman Kardon amp bypass

Has anyone installed an aftermarket amp in their 2018+ Limited with HK / NAV system? Can I use breakout harness behind head unit or do I have to tap the amp outputs? Not finding much info on doing this.
    According to these guys the 10 & 6 pin harnesses work with 2019 Limited with NAV

https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/82191_info.html

So far I have replaced all six speakers with Infinity reference series speakers in the dash and front and rear doors. Noticeable bass improvement but still lacks overall volume especially in rear. The HK system sounds great in my garage but as soon as I roll down the highway it is average at best, especially with AT tires and roof rack. The Infinity speakers want more power for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Harman Kardon amp bypass

Interestingly, the speaker wiring changes colors between the amp outputs and speakers in doors/dash.
    Also, not 100% sure about polarity since Subaru service manual doesn't show polarity markings on their audio diagrams.

Update: see images in post 29 below for speaker polarity

Attached Files Attached Files

Harman Kardon amp bypass

On the Crutchfield adapters, white is +, black is -, and the connectors are different sizes so they can only be install one way on speaker terminals

Pics of speaker connectors:

Amp 30-pin

Rear doors

Front doors

Dash

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan_classic View Post
    Interestingly, the speaker wiring changes colors between the amp outputs and speakers in doors/dash.
    Thanks for the pinouts. I haven't got the HK but it's good to have for reference.

The HK wiring harness clips directly into the back of the radio and gets power from an otherwise unused 12VDC/GND connector, also behind the radio.
    The return line clips into the standard speaker wiring harness behind the radio. That said; the speaker wires changing colours isn't a surprise.

I don't see any reason you can't remove the HK box and then cut the wiring for a new amp's high level inputs and it's output.
    It would certainly save you a bunch of work by not having to remove the radio and run new lines.

I don't believe you can buy a replacement HK harness (should you want to put it back) but I wonder if you'd be able to remove the pins from the existing clip and fashion something that'll work but also save the factory HK hardware.

I tested the above unused 12VDC connector but forget if its switched or constant. I'd have to check again but I think it's switched and you can use the HK's power as your new amp's acc switch. You can easily test this yourself using the HK clip pins. Don't want to state the obvious but don't use the HK's ground. I grounded my amp using the bolt that the HK is mounted to the floor with.

If have Infinity Reference in my dash. Great little speakers but don't forget to get a good set of bass blockers; you'll need them with a better/louder amp. I used 800Hz and am quite happy with them.
    Last edited by Doca; 06-12-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    Audio mod manual: https://www.impreza5.com/forum/26-el...er-thread.html
    Crutchfield directions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JV4...ub2Ssid9c/view

----

----
    18' Subaru Crosstrek "Stamford" - 29 Aug 17 -
    07' VW Rabbit "Bunny"- 4 Jan 07' - 30 Jun 17'
    94' Chev Beretta "Dirty B" - 24 Jun 96' - 4 Jan 07'
    85' Hyundai Stellar "Beast" - Mar 94' - Dec 95'

Harman Kardon amp bypass

Also, according to 2019 Impreza/Crosstrek wiring diagrams, the dash tweeters are not connected directly to the amp, but are fed from the DCM (Data Communication Module), after the amp, also it appears only one of the rear channels is fed to amp from HU, and then split to both left/right rear speakers from amp.

Harman Kardon amp bypass

Quote Originally Posted by Doca View Post

If have Infinity Reference in my dash. Great little speakers but don't forget to get a good set of bass blockers; you'll need them with a better/louder amp. I used 800Hz and am quite happy with them.
    My Infinity 3.5's came with 270uF blockers but i havent installed them since im still running off the factory amp which already has DSP and sends only mid/highs to the dash speakers.

System block diagram

Love the schematics.

Yeah, the front speakers are run through the module because that’s where it cuts in for the telephone and for the car’s voice command lady. The radio wiring harness, and HK via the return harness, connect to the input of the module.

That 270 capacitor is only good for about 147Hz. I first tried 300Hz blockers then the 600s. My 800s are about 50uf. Car Audio - Speaker Crossover Chart and Capacitance vs. Frequency Calculator(High-pass)
    Audio mod manual: https://www.impreza5.com/forum/26-el...er-thread.html
    Crutchfield directions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JV4...ub2Ssid9c/view

----

----
    18' Subaru Crosstrek "Stamford" - 29 Aug 17 -
    07' VW Rabbit "Bunny"- 4 Jan 07' - 30 Jun 17'
    94' Chev Beretta "Dirty B" - 24 Jun 96' - 4 Jan 07'
    85' Hyundai Stellar "Beast" - Mar 94' - Dec 95'

Harman Kardon amp bypass

That 270 capacitor is only good for about 147Hz. I first tried 300Hz blockers then the 600s. My 800s are about 50uf. Car Audio - Speaker Crossover Chart and Capacitance vs. Frequency Calculator(High-pass)
    Don’t forget your non-HK system has dash and front doors in parallel so your definitely gonna need a blocker.

The HK system definitely has some DSP going on for sure, the front doors roll off quickly above 500Hz so the 6x9 tweeters in the doors aren’t doing much.
    My Infinity 3.5” dash speakers are pretty efficient and sound really good driven off the factory amp.
    I may just run the front and rears to a four channel amp to add some volume to the rear. I’m seeing the rears roll off down below about 100-125Hz. This system actually sounds good when source is newer smooth jazz or country, but suffers with older 80’s-90’s stuff.

I don't see any reason you can't remove the HK box and then cut the wiring for a new amp's high level inputs
    I forgot to mention earlier , it looks like volume is controlled by the factory amp via CANBUS so the amp will have to stay.

Harman Kardon amp bypass

BTW

In case anyone might be interested, here’s a great app found on the IOS App Store for testing car audio system,

Signal Generator: Audio Test Tone Utility by Media Punk Studios https://apps.apple.com/us/app/signal...ty/id543661843
    I used it to test roll off on the factory amp channels and can help isolate rattles and vibrations in the doors, dash, etc.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast