Model Year 2018 and Newer Any recent under seat sub installs? What fits? Speaker upgrades/Audio ideas..

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Any recent under seat sub installs? What fits? Speaker upgrades/Audio ideas..

QuestionAny recent under seat sub installs? What fits? Speaker upgrades/Audio ideas..

Wondering if anyone has fit a sub under the driver / passenger seat recently, and what fits. Every thread about an under seat sub seems to be at least a few years old. Maybe the space hasn't changed much?

I'm "thinking" about doing a system to improve the factory sound. Who am I kidding, I'll end up doing something.. can't help myself. I can't leave anything alone!

Not sure which route I want to go.. an under seat sub is always useful for keeping trunk space clean, and my experience is that they give me just enough bass that I want without being overpowering, perhaps not the cleanest sound though. I saw a spare tire sub on Crutchfield that was interesting, but I think I would steer away from that option. Nice but not for me in this case.

I already have a couple components that I could use if needed, an AudioControl LC7i, an Soundstream PN5.640D, and a Soundstream PN1.650D which is actually new because I bought it by mistake. Seems like I'm half way there for the Crosstrek. I actually want an LC-6.1200 to combine the LC7i and amplifier into one, and also make wiring easier, but I'd really need to sell these other pieces at the same time.

Ahhhh the decisions! Much to think about... I guess the easiest to start with is speakers. I've seen people here using Kicker's and more expensive options too.. is there any consensus on which type upgrade is preferred more? I had Kicker in my old car on the PN5.640D and they were decent but I wouldn't say amazing so I might be interested in trying something else, but maybe the amp was the problem too.

Any suggestions for all my ramblings? Most important is figuring out what kind of sub I want to use and where it will fit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

If you don't mind having a powered sub then I recommend the Kicker 11HS8. I have that under the driver seat an top of a MDF platform I made and it fits snuggly inside without moving around.

I'll give you what I did and got tons of sound. Infinity reference 3 1/2 for dash, infinity reference 6x9 3 ways for front doors and infinity reference 6 1/2 for the rear doors. Alpine 45x4 channel that legit fits under head unit. My car has way too much bass and needs to be at 0.
    With install from Bestbuy 600. Bought all parts on amazon. Thanks Crutchfield for guiding me there

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by azurewyvern View Post
    If you don't mind having a powered sub then I recommend the Kicker 11HS8. I have that under the driver seat an top of a MDF platform I made and it fits snuggly inside without moving around.
    What year is your car? Again some of the older posts that I've seen mention these subs hitting the seats and stuff.. I guess I'll have to take a look and try to get an idea of what could fit without any touching.

That Kicker has a lot of good reviews though, so that's gonna be a bookmark. Thanks.

My car is a 2018 and I've had that sub in there for half a year with no problems. The MDF I have in there is so I can use the straps the sub comes with so it won't move around and so it won't hit some bolts that are sticking up under the carpet.

In a 2017 the Sound Ordnance fits very well. Had to remove the seat bolts to lift the seat a bit to get it in. Sound is great paired with a Sony XAV AX100

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_777B8PT...ce-B-8PTD.html

I'd considered the Kicker 11HS8 for either under seat or in the cargo area but opted for a 5 channel amp with a 10" JL sealed box in the cargo area and I'm glad I did.

Be aware that an under seat sub (or amp) may/will block the vents; consider the potential for condensation on electronics.

If you put an amp under the seat, I recommend getting the duct extensions, Subaru part 72512AG000 @ about $10 each, to divert the duct flow around the electronics.
    I've got an Alpine PDR-V75 under the passenger seat. It's 10.1" wide, 8.0" deep and 4.3" high and the extensions are snug to the sides.
    Audio mod manual: https://www.impreza5.com/forum/26-el...er-thread.html
    Crutchfield directions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JV4...ub2Ssid9c/view

----

----
    18' Subaru Crosstrek "Stamford" - 29 Aug 17 -
    07' VW Rabbit "Bunny"- 4 Jan 07' - 30 Jun 17'
    94' Chev Beretta "Dirty B" - 24 Jun 96' - 4 Jan 07'
    85' Hyundai Stellar "Beast" - Mar 94' - Dec 95'

Super glad this thread was started because I've been wondering exactly the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMYTROJAN View Post
    I'll give you what I did and got tons of sound. Infinity reference 3 1/2 for dash, infinity reference 6x9 3 ways for front doors and infinity reference 6 1/2 for the rear doors. Alpine 45x4 channel that legit fits under head unit. My car has way too much bass and needs to be at 0.
    With install from Bestbuy 600. Bought all parts on amazon. Thanks Crutchfield for guiding me there
    I have almost exactly this same install (except I removed my dash speakers entirely) and I still want more bass. But that's mostly because I want to take the bass out of the door speakers, but I'd love to have a bit more bass overall in general.

Quote Originally Posted by azurewyvern View Post
    Do you have any photos of your install under your driver's seat by chance? How thick was the MDF you used? Does your seat still have the full range of motion?

I used 1/2 MDF wrapped in some acoustic foam I had left over. The seat still has full range of motion and it is out of sight during normal use and there are no chances someone in the back seat will hit it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting.. I'd imagine that it could be done without the MDF as well either by using some velco type stuff to keep it in place or fabricating some kind of bracket to attach it to a seat bolt.

I really need to get out there and take a look under the seat for any fitment surprises.. it's been raining a lot so I haven't looked yet.

I'm not 100% sure if I want a powered sub or would be willing to give up some trunk space for a conventional sub so I am very much still thinking on all that. A conventional sub would let me use my existing amp to it's fullest potential, and again make the wiring easier by not having to power two things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast