Model Year 2018 and Newer verdict on OEM navigation

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: verdict on OEM navigation

verdict on OEM navigation

My 3-month-old Crosstrek Premium was totalled. The one thing I thought about changing in the replacement was to add navigation, but that means getting a Limited.
    I prefer real GNSS to cell phone apps.
    How is the TomTom? I have a Garmin with lifetime traffic and map updates. With EyeSight and the cabin design, I'm not happy with mounting options. (I used a seat bolt mounted gooseneck.) Don't like vent mount or suction cup on window.
    Is it possible to put a head unit with nav in a Premium?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Sure it's always possible to do, depending how much effort and money you want to put into it.

You can go with an aftermarket head unit with nav which is probably easier and definitely cheaper or you could source an OEM head unit from a Limited then get the OEM gps antenna assembly and hope it all works.

Here's the OEM radio https://www.subaruparts.com/oem-part...kit-86271fl650 and here's the antenna https://www.subaruparts.com/oem-part...nna-86277fl100

Don't know what else you might need for an OEM system.. (maps memory card?)

I would have liked to have the oem nav system in my yet-to-be picked up Limited but didn't feel that it was worth the extra money. I occasionally use the nav system in my Tucson when I just wanted simple directions without using android auto/waze but for the Crosstrek to jump up $2000 basically just for nav was not acceptable to me for my purchase, so I went without.

It sounds like you want the nav so that means you'll have to pony up the cash one way or another.

Good luck!

My $0.02.

I will never option an integrated navigation system again. The technology cycle turns more quickly than I turn over my cars. I optioned an integrated system in our '08 MINI Clubman. The multi function display is an awesome improvement over the dinner plate speedo. BUT the underlying navigation software is dependent on 2005 technology (DVD's) for very expensive map updates. And like any obsolete technology the DVD's are not being produced. So I am stuck with an obsolete map data base.

I carry, in my pocket, a navigation device - my mobile phone, which can connect to my car via Android Auto/or CarPlay. That device has an integrated GPS receiver.

And in a crunch there is a paper map in my glove box.
    Last edited by OWG; 04-16-2019 at 06:33 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Old Wizened Goat
    "Griselda"
    2019 Limited #21
    Cool Grey Khaki

Neither "Khaki" or "Grey", but definitely is "Cool"

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I have a limited with Nav and I'm at 21,000 miles. Tom Tom nav is acceptable and will get you where you want to go. It will not take you through the quickest route, nor will it accept voice commands for things like the name of a place. You must enter the exact address. I use Google maps 99% of the time and once in a blue moon waze. I will say that having the larger screen is very nice to have.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

Phone and Google maps. Or just buy a cheap GPS off Amazon. My mom still prefers the Garmin unit I bought her 5 years ago over her Outbacks built in navigation.

I've never been a fan of cars built in navigation. The maps and POI's are not updated frequently enough. With Google maps, it'll reroute you almost instantly if there's a traffic jam , accident, or road construction.

I have no qualms with my Limited built in navigation system except for one. Even with the latest update, the roads in and near my community are missing. Mapping to my house is impossible. And the roads have been in place for five years! Numerous pleas to Subaru and Tom Tom have been unsuccessful. TomTom tells me it is a Subaru problem. Subaru tells me to take it up with TomTom. Why in the world do they seem to want to infuriate some many people about in car navigation?

I agree with Subaru, it IS a Tom-Tom problem. Subaru licenses them, not designs or programs them. I had a small Tom-Tom years ago and hated it. It actually got me lost in downtown Seattle, WA, had me driving in circles. I even pulled over and verified the path I was supposed to take ... in circles dohhh!!! I got directions from a gas station ... and they were quite simple, but not the way Tom-Tom was telling me to go. With Apple Car-Play and Android giving constantly updated maps at no charge, I can't imagine going with a built in Nav program.
    2018 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium, Sunshine Orange w/ Eyesight, Moonroof, Homelink Mirror, Change Assist, Blindspot Detection, Whippet in cargo area

The Nav in the Limited is OK. I never did think a lot of TomTom but it is better than the system Subaru used in the older models. I have it but keep it in reserve, I use Google Maps with Android Auto as my primary source of navigation.

No complaints about my Nav. Does the job. I do use AA and Waze sometimes on a trip, just so that I get warned about any radar traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    I have a limited with Nav and I'm at 21,000 miles. Tom Tom nav is acceptable and will get you where you want to go. It will not take you through the quickest route, nor will it accept voice commands for things like the name of a place. You must enter the exact address. I use Google maps 99% of the time and once in a blue moon waze. I will say that having the larger screen is very nice to have.
    Ah so this is the one Most Cabbies Use "Not taking the quickest route " Sneaky
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand--and melting like a snowflake...”
    Francis Bacon

2018 Sunshine Orange Cross Trek Sport (Can) 6 MT "Tigger"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast