Model Year 2018 and Newer verdict on OEM navigation - Page 3

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: verdict on OEM navigation

[SIZE=3]I have a newer Garmin Drive GPS and have the latest maps.....their maps and .50 cents will buy U a donut....if you have an iphone...U can get Waze map FREE as a download and you can connect your phone and it works great...it tells you directions...shows you a map etc....j I have a Premium 2018.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

When I'm off the beaten path, I don't rely on my phone. Unfortunately, it can't always get a good signal. My Garmin, on the other hand, has been very reliable. To each their own.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by amx304 View Post
    When I'm off the beaten path, I don't rely on my phone. Unfortunately, it can't always get a good signal. My Garmin, on the other hand, has been very reliable. To each their own.
    With Google Maps you can download a map area and it will work with just a GPS signal. It doesn't have all of the same functionality and sometime wigs out when there's a marginal signal and it's trying to switch back and forth between offline maps and online maps but we've used it a few times up in the mountains. There's are some other threads here, too, about other offline apps out there, some of which are free.
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

Quote Originally Posted by AstroKats View Post
    With Google Maps you can download a map area and it will work with just a GPS signal. It doesn't have all of the same functionality and sometime wigs out when there's a marginal signal and it's trying to switch back and forth between offline maps and online maps but we've used it a few times up in the mountains. There's are some other threads here, too, about other offline apps out there, some of which are free.
    I'm aware of the offline maps. The issue is the phones GPS receiver isn't anywhere nearly as good as a standalone GPS. 90-95% of the time, my phone can handle what I need. Its that 5-10% of the time that I like having my Garmin to handle the navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by amx304 View Post
    I'm aware of the offline maps. The issue is the phones GPS receiver isn't anywhere nearly as good as a standalone GPS. 90-95% of the time, my phone can handle what I need. Its that 5-10% of the time that I like having my Garmin to handle the navigation.
    Yeah, it's worked OK on some well-documented trails up in the mountains (and we have the onboard nav as a backup) but if we were doing any serious off-roading I would want something like a Garmin.
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3