Model Year 2018 and Newer USB Music: Existing ID3 Tags Discrepancy?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

USB Music: Existing ID3 Tags Discrepancy?

I have compiled a USD drive with a few hundred MP3 files. I have carefully curated the ID3 tags and simplified many of the artist and album names, in order to streamline them when displayed on the car's screen.

For example, I added the artist's name after each album name - For example: "Greatest Hits (Queen)". This way, multiple "greatest hits" will display with the corresponding artist name on the screen, and I can select the one I am looking for. I also edited / streamlines the artist names and certain other info.

Now, when inserting the USB drive in the car, my ID3 tags aren't being displayed for most of the files. Instead, it appears that the head unit is picking up Gracenote data for the songs and displaying that info instead of my edited ID3 tags. So I have multiple Greatest Hits without my edits showing up.

I tried various things, but did not manage to get my tags displayed. And yes, the files on the USB drive are the edited files - rechecked this with my tag editing software.

Has anyone encountered this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

If you ripped the tracks with iTunes, change the names in iTunes.
    2016 Crosstrek Limited Crystal White / Black leather
    (GRD - 23) Moonroof Package W/Navigation/Eyesight
    Auto-dim Mirror/Homelink + Alarm/shock sensor + Side moldings

Polk Audio DB651 front speakers + de Auto Key 5000k HID kit
    Alla Lighting LED backup 921 800 Lumen
    Philips 9011 HIR1 Diode Dynamics XML2 5000k Fog Lights
    SpyTec A118-C Dash Cam

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHAWK View Post
    If you ripped the tracks with iTunes, change the names in iTunes.
    I used a different software than iTunes, but I DID edit the ID3 tags of my MP3 files.

The issue is that the head unit is overriding my own tags with what appears to be Gracenote data. I am looking for a way for the HU not to do that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by decibel View Post
    I used a different software than iTunes, but I DID edit the ID3 tags of my MP3 files.

The issue is that the head unit is overriding my own tags with what appears to be Gracenote data. I am looking for a way for the HU not to do that.
    It's possible that your editing software is using a different tag frame for Album Title than the car expects. ID3 tags have a lot of options. Maybe the tag frame the car needs to see is not populated. Or maybe your software is editing the ID3v2 tag and the car is picking up the title from the ID3v1 tag, or vice versa.

Are you able to dump the raw tag information from a track? Like this:

Selection_098.jpg

You can see in this screenshot the individual frames populated in the ID3v2 tag, which are not always intuitively named. Title is TIT2, for example, not TITL or TIT1 like you'd expect. You can also see there is no ID3v1 tag present in the file. If you can dump the raw tag data and post it like this, maybe I can help.

Thanks dwasifar,
    This was helpful.

I think I figured out how our HU handles USB media after experimenting a bit.

Short answer: Looks like a gracenote database is built in the HU and it tries to identify songs and pull related metadata, overriding the tag info!

Long answer:
    I use an application called Metadics on mac to edit audio tags.

1) I deleted all tags from all songs, and inserted the USB drive in the HU. --> No metadata was listed (everything was "unknown")
    2) I manually created a single tag for a single song (ID3v1), with only the name of the track and the artist. --> the HU managed to identify the genre of that particular track only..
    3) After manually re-tagging MP3s with track name and artist --> the HU managed to identify the songs, and even in some cases was displaying an album artwork (different from what I originally has in my tags).

Note: When I initially inserted the newly-updated USB drive, there was a discrete message (bottom left) "powered by gracenote" and another message (top left) "updating".

I'm not sure whether you've solved your problem or not. But I'm glad I could be of some help.

So decibel, have you been able through this work to get playback from an USB drive to adhere to original album order of tracks? That's the holy grail as far as I'm concerned.

dwasifar, my problem is not solved, but at least there is a rational explanation for it. Unfortunately, there is no option to disable the Gracenote x-referencing, so I will use the Folders to navigate through my mp3s.

We have a 2019, so it looks like the playback is organized alphabetically... I know what you're talking about, on my Acura, I have to reorganize the files on a USB device using a small utility ("foldersort.exe") on windows. Otherwise, the play order is the order the files were written to the drive!

I am rather surprised that it would do that. I wonder how the Gracenote database is kept updated? What trim line do you have, and what Starlink services are enabled, if any?

I wrote a Linux shell script that will write files to a USB drive such that they play in the expected order, sort of like what foldersort.exe does. It may work on your Mac with small alterations. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send it along. Basically what it does is first create the folder structure; sync the write; then write each file sequentially as the folder structure would require, syncing the write after each file.

Pheral: The reason this is necessary is that modern OSes don't necessarily copy the files in the order you see them listed. USB drives order natively by the datetimestamp the file write was closed. To get them to behave properly, you have to write the files in the desired order, and sync each write to close the file before proceeding to the next one.

I am also surprised that the tags associated with a particular MP3 file do not take priority over the Gracenote database.

I have a 2019 Canadian Sport with Eyesight, no starlink services (not sure starlink works in Canada but in any case, I told the dealer not to activate it even if it did).

The HU is the Gen 3.1 8-inch version. XM radio is active, so I am suspecting that's how the database is loaded / updated.

Will send you a PM, many thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast