Yes, that would work, if you are sure each write has completed before starting the next one. I haven't tried that technique on a Windows machine, but I would think that once the flash drive's LED stops flashing, the write is completed and you can start the next one. Or, to be sure, you could eject and remount the drive after each track; I know that would force the write to finish. But it would be super tedious.
I don't doubt what you're saying and get your train of thought (I"m fairly tech-savvy), but I"m going to bet that when I try this, it will still want to play Abbey Road in alphabetical order. I'll report back.
2016 Crosstrek Limited Crystal White / Black leather
(GRD - 23) Moonroof Package W/Navigation/Eyesight
Auto-dim Mirror/Homelink + Alarm/shock sensor + Side moldings
Polk Audio DB651 front speakers + de Auto Key 5000k HID kit
Alla Lighting LED backup 921 800 Lumen
Philips 9011 HIR1 Diode Dynamics XML2 5000k Fog Lights
SpyTec A118-C Dash Cam
I've tried that (as have others) - the HU seems to ignore any numbers at the head of the file name, and actually, the copy of the album that I tried, in addition to having copied the files over in sequence, had track numbers appended to their file name.
While this may seem like a minor issue to some people, especially at a time when people seem to listen to tracks pulled from a vast bucket of various songs, the forced alphabetization of tracks basically negates the intentions of the artists and composers and screws up, in particular, classical recordings where particular playback order is a given.
Consider. If it's alphabetizing songs within a folder by title, then it must be getting the titles from somewhere. The possibilities are ID3v1 tag, ID3v2 tag, or filename. (The more I think about it, the less likely I think it is that the car is using an internal database.)
If I were you, I'd start by making a CD - manually, not in iTunes - with the tags completely stripped from the files, and the filenames changed to a.mp3, b.mp3, c.mp3, and so on. See if the songs play in the desired order. Then gradually add things back in - proper filenames, tags of different types, etc - making a CD each time, and see which addition causes the sort problem.
Once you've identified how the sort is occurring, you can alter the sorted data to sort it properly. Let's say for example it turns out to be sorting the ID3v2 tag TIT2 frame (which I think is the most likely candidate). Currently the tracks would have these values for TIT2:
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Here Comes The Sun
You Never Give Me Your Money
Mean Mr Mustard
She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
Carry That Weight
But if it's sorting them alphabetically by TIT2, change that tag to include a track number:
01 Come Together
03 Maxwell's Silver Hammer
04 Oh! Darling
05 Octopus's Garden
06 I Want You (She's So Heavy)
07 Here Comes The Sun
09 You Never Give Me Your Money
10 Sun King
11 Mean Mr Mustard
12 Polythene Pam
13 She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14 Golden Slumbers
15 Carry That Weight
16 The End
17 Her Majesty
...and that should produce the desired playback sort. If not, and it seems to be parsing out the numbers, try it this way:
A - Come Together
B - Something
C - Maxwell's Silver Hammer
D - Oh! Darling
and so forth.
I'm sure that would be kind of tedious to do, but it ought to work, and it could be automated with a script if you can write code.
Here's something else to think about, which just occurred to me. The TRCK (track number) frame should technically be populated by a single integer, e.g. TRCK for Maxwell's Silver Hammer should be 3. But a lot of CD ripping programs will populate that field with 3/17, indicating track number 3 of 17 total. It's possible the car would actually prefer to sort on track number by default, but can't parse the track numbers in your files, and drops back to alphabetization.
Do you have a sure way to strip all tags from a file? Don't rely on iTunes. There could be fields and formatting going on under the covers that it's not showing you.
Last edited by dwasifar; 04-20-2019 at 05:36 AM.
TPE1 (Artist, actually Lead Performer as far as the frame description puts it)
TRCK (Track number)
TLEN (Length, in samples)
The result is that the tracks are played alphabetically by title, starting with the 7654th track in the complete alphabetized list. So it apparently will index the entire list, but only wants to play the last 1000 songs.
I know the car is reading the tags because there's no title information anywhere else in the files or filenames, and because the artists displayed on the screen are formatted Lastname, Firstname as I have them in my tags. (Don't ask, it's a long story.) So I conclude that it's stupidly alphabetizing by the TIT2 frame of the ID3v2 tag.
I can see a couple of possible workarounds for this.
One possibility is to prepend sequential alpha characters or numeric characters to the TIT2 tag frame contents, as I mentioned before. The drawback is that the prepended characters would appear in the display.
Another possibility might be to put each file in a separate numbered subfolder. So instead of this:
Screenshot at 2019-04-20 22-26-10.jpg
Screenshot at 2019-04-20 22-27-19.jpg
This would be a colossal pain in the ass to do manually, but easy to script. The drawback is I don't know how many subfolders the car can cope with. It clearly gets confused with more than 1000 tracks to deal with.