Model Year 2018 and Newer Rear Camera Replacement?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RAAK

Thread: Rear Camera Replacement?

Rear Camera Replacement?

I have a 2019 Premium. I am building a hitch mounted spare tire carrier. The factory camera will be blocked by the spare tire. I want to mount an aftermarket camera to the carrier and leave the stock one in place. Does anyone know what connector the factory camera uses or an aftermarket camera that will plug into the factory harness?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RAAK View Post
    I am building a hitch mounted spare tire carrier. The factory camera will be blocked by the spare tire.
    Some considerations: The spare tire will obscure the license plate. The police don't cotton too well to that and gives them reason to pull you over. The spare tire rig may/will interfere with the rear cross-traffic alerts capability.

I don’t have cross traffic alert. Mine is a 6 speed. Relocating the tag with a light is easy. Camera is the only thing I’m worried about.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Nope. Just a camera. If you’re talking about a periscope on the camera I think image quality would be crap and I couldn’t see my hitch to hook a trailer up.

Again, I’m not looking for opinions on whether I should do it or not. Just looking for a camera that will work with the factory HU. Might just be easier to take mine out and make a cover plate for the hole and build a small housing for it. Definitely be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by RAAK View Post
    Again, I’m not looking for opinions on whether I should do it or not. Just looking for a camera that will work with the factory HU. Might just be easier to take mine out and make a cover plate for the hole and build a small housing for it. Definitely be cheaper.
    I think that would be best, and you're right, definitely cheaper.