U.S. Model - center temp & mpg flashing

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: U.S. Model - center temp & mpg flashing

U.S. Model - center temp & mpg flashing

I was wondering if anyone else seems to have this quirk/problem/issue...whatever it is. In my center information display (U.S. Model) the temperature and the mpg read outs will suddenly start blinking when the car is in motion just going down the road. I know that occasionally the read outs reset and/or get a new reading. Which means the blinking is most likely the computer "thinking" about what's going on with the temp/mpg.

The reason I'm asking is because this seems to happen quiet frequently. Especially with the temperature readings now that the weather has gotten colder. The average MPG readout (which is what I keep mine on) isn't near as bad, but it still blinks on occasion no matter what the weathers like.

The read outs always return after a few seconds, but I just wanted to ask if others have had this quirk/problem a lot? Do you think I should have my dealer take a look at it? Or could it be a simple software glitch? I got my Crosstrek last year in December so it's almost a year old. Any input is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I don't ever display mpg but the temp always flashes at least once at around 37 or below. I believe is to warn you that it is cold enough that there could be ice on the road. Not sure why avg mpg would flash though. Also the trip timer will also flash on at an hour. Whether you are displaying it or not. Super weird choice by the programmers.

EDIT: Found this referenced in the owner's manual as well. But did not see any reference to the MPG read out flashing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quote Originally Posted by runbadgerrun View Post
    I don't ever display mpg but the temp always flashes at least once at around 37 or below. I believe is to warn you that it is cold enough that there could be ice on the road. Not sure why avg mpg would flash though. Also the trip timer will also flash on at an hour. Whether you are displaying it or not. Super weird choice by the programmers.

I noticed exactly the same thing

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Mine flashes and a message appears for about 5 seconds saying the roads may be icy and drive carefully. This happens when the outside temp is almost at freezing.
    "Nothing stops the Rhino"

2013 XV Crosstrek
    Ice Silver Metallic, CVT
    Limited with nav & sunroof & leather

Quote Originally Posted by PappyG View Post
    Mine flashes and a message appears for about 5 seconds saying the roads may be icy and drive carefully. This happens when the outside temp is almost at freezing.
    Huh. *thinks about it* So a flashing temp is the U.S.'s dumbed down version of that message about icy roads maybe? *bangs head on table* I seriously don't understand why we're the only market that didn't get that cool information screen. The 2014 Forester got it here...I would have gladly paid a few more hundred dollars to have it stateside. *sigh*

If anyone else has any more thoughts on either flashing issues please keep them coming, and thanks to those who've commented!

Quote Originally Posted by PappyG View Post
    Here in Australia ours does the same as that when the temp goes down to 3celcius.
    Deborah

'Sunny' Sunshine Orange MY18 XV-S CVT
    ...replacing 'Lovely' Tangerine Orange Pearl MY12 XV-S CVT

Sunny MY18 XV Journal Thread

There is a blink on mine as my temp changes. I usually loose 5 degrees on the way home becauce of elevation climb.

Quote Originally Posted by runbadgerrun View Post
    I don't ever display mpg but the temp always flashes at least once at around 37 or below. I believe is to warn you that it is cold enough that there could be ice on the road. Not sure why avg mpg would flash though. Also the trip timer will also flash on at an hour. Whether you are displaying it or not.
    ^^This^^...

Yup, the messages that come up on our MFD (In Canada,Australia,Europe) are super cool. They should have put some Easter Egg messages in there like "Why, don't you look good today! "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast