Model Year 2018 and Newer Dynamat - Crosstrek Limited 2018

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Dynamat - Crosstrek Limited 2018

Dynamat - Crosstrek Limited 2018

Hello everyone,

I am getting ready to Dynamat my entire new Crosstrek 2018 limited. I just want to find out if there is anyone out there with any suggestions tips and tricks that I need to know for this vehicle year. I did a 2016 Crosstrek about 1 year ago. It was my first time doing one and came out really well. Now I got another one this one for me this time. Anyone out there with commits suggestions things I should know before I began ? Anyone done a 2018 yet?

Here are some pictures of the previous one I did 2016 http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/i...ml#post1603617

Pictures don't show it but I also did the doors

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Before buying all of that Dynomat, I would suggest, if you haven't already, look at https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ - not because they have better prices or products or that I support them, but they have some good information on the different types of sound deadening and what they are good for. After all, if you are going to go through all of that trouble to sound deaden a car, then you should make the most out of your time doing the work!

Especially interesting is the 3 different types of materials and how they each handle 3 different jobs.

Appreciate the insight. You mentioned that they have better products? isn't Dynomat the leader per say. I thought they where the best. That's all I know of or hear normally never hear of some of the others.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Come back and update us when finished - curious why you are tackling this? New audio system/speakers so you're just taking advantage of the new install? I find the new 18 to be quieter than my old 15 Limited. On my 15 Limited XV I put in Hushmat and had new speakers. Seemed to work well. Good luck!

Take a look at my previous 2016 I did. I put a big bazooka tube in the car and an amp. It really kicks nicely. I don;'t want to be one of those people who drive around where you can hear parts an stuff rattle on the car. Want nice clean smooth base if you know what I mean. smooth sound. plus it makes a big difference

Quote Originally Posted by sobeservices2 View Post
    Take a look at my previous 2016 I did. I put a big bazooka tube in the car and an amp. It really kicks nicely. I don;'t want to be one of those people who drive around where you can hear parts an stuff rattle on the car. Want nice clean smooth base if you know what I mean. smooth sound. plus it makes a big difference
    Yep, already had looked at your photos/feed from 2016. Was curious why you were doing it to this NEW 2018 you have. Did you get the HK audio upgrade? If not, and installing your own new audio kit after-market, then your intent to Dynamat makes perfect sense, mate. Good luck with the work.

Appreciate the insight. You mentioned that they have better products? isn't Dynomat the leader per say. I thought they where the best. That's all I know of or hear normally never hear of some of the others.
    Dynamat is the leader as much as Budweiser is with beer. It doesn't necessarily mean that Dynamat is better (or worse), it is just more widely available and more well known.

Basically, Dynamat will the the trick, no doubt. It really is a good product for the easiest and more general needs. If you want to get more serious and detailed, head to SoundDeadenerShowdown like RLouie suggested. Equate them to craft beer.

Super Moderator
    Dynamat is the most well known brand due to great marketing, not good product design and certainly not price - being the first mover in the field also helped. But Dynamat isn't truly a full sound deadening product as much as it just adds mass to a surface that it is stuck on so that the surface won't vibrate as much - ie less transmission of sound and vibrational noise. It does not absorb sound nor does it deflect it. There are a number of assorted Dynamat like products out there that do a very similar thing for a lot less money. In addition, most people over do the application of Dynamat - studies have shown that as little as 25% coverage with proper placement (unlike Dynamat's claim that you need more the merrier - ie 100% coverage) will get you the most bang for your buck when it comes to vibration reduction.

Look at things like Mass Loaded Vinyl and closed cell foam to take your sound deadening to the next level.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OrcaSnack View Post
    Dynamat is the leader as much as Budweiser is with beer. It doesn't necessarily mean that Dynamat is better (or worse), it is just more widely available and more well known.

Basically, Dynamat will the the trick, no doubt. It really is a good product for the easiest and more general needs. If you want to get more serious and detailed, head to SoundDeadenerShowdown like RLouie suggested. Equate them to craft beer.
    I would say that Dynamat is more like imported bottled water - same product as the lower priced stuff, great marketing, and a much higher price - than what Budweiser is with beer. At least the Budweiser isn't really over priced for what it is.

When I purchased my Prius back in 2012, I found that a lot of Prius owners (and other car owners from other forums) were using Lowe's Peel & Seal aluminum roll flashing since it was A LOT cheaper than Dynamat. The forum ppl tried it and it worked great.

I did it on my Prius and thought it worked great! Initially, you could smell the "asphalt" smell. But it only lasted about a day or so. I had the car for 5 yrs and it never peeled off.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Seal-I...ashing/1018733

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast