Model Year 2018 and Newer JL Audio - Anyone have their speakers / amps ?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: JL Audio - Anyone have their speakers / amps ?

JL Audio - Anyone have their speakers / amps ?

I stopped by the stereo shop and had a consult with the folks there. I've had another vehicle upgraded through them.

They checked my car's audio system and made some recommendations.

JL Audio C1-650x
    6-1/2" 2-way car speakers - REAR

JL Audio C1-690
    6"x9" component speaker system - FRONT

2 options for Amp:

Entry level JL Audio JX400/4D
    4-channel car amplifier — 70 watts RMS x 4

or

JL Audio XD400/4v2
    4-channel car amplifier — 75 watts RMS x 4

JL Audio FiX™ 86
    Sound processor for adding amps and speakers to a factory system — 6 outputs

I'm leaning to go with just the entry level amp. The Fix product and the next level up amp seems expensive for what I really need. Twice the cost...

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

You really wont notice a difference between the two amps, and the rear speakers you could also eliminate unless you have people in the back seats all the time and they want music too.

My question is on the FiX...are you for sure going to do that and if so whats your thinking on why you want it?

I'm not sure I want to spend the money for the FiX 86. Or the amp that goes with it. It was only offered as an option to consider by the shop. They weren't pushing it. I use Apple CarPlay exclusively - so everything I listen to is streamed. Most of what I've been listening to sounds okay, but not great. I really believe the simple amp and better speakers will suffice.

I plan to replace the rears - even though they don't get priority for sound / no in back listening. I wanted to fill out the sound stage more than anything.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Wow. They do love the JL.

I went with

JL Audio C2-650X rear speakers
    Focal PS 165F component front speakers
    AudioControl LC7i + remote
    Clarion XC2510 amp / 50X4 4Ω + 300X1 2Ω )(n-Track happens with this amp)
    JL Audio CS110LG-TW1-2 10" sealed sub
    Infinity Reference REF-3022cfx dash speakers
    Audio mod manual: https://www.impreza5.com/forum/26-el...er-thread.html
    Crutchfield directions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JV4...ub2Ssid9c/view

----

----
    18' Subaru Crosstrek "Stamford" - 29 Aug 17 -
    07' VW Rabbit "Bunny"- 4 Jan 07' - 30 Jun 17'
    94' Chev Beretta "Dirty B" - 24 Jun 96' - 4 Jan 07'
    85' Hyundai Stellar "Beast" - Mar 94' - Dec 95'

Quote Originally Posted by usemygoodeye View Post
    I'm not sure I want to spend the money for the FiX 86. Or the amp that goes with it. It was only offered as an option to consider by the shop. They weren't pushing it. I use Apple CarPlay exclusively - so everything I listen to is streamed. Most of what I've been listening to sounds okay, but not great. I really believe the simple amp and better speakers will suffice.

I plan to replace the rears - even though they don't get priority for sound / no in back listening. I wanted to fill out the sound stage more than anything.
    What are your thoughts on adding a small subwoofer? I would choose that over the rear speakers and the Fix to fill out the sound.

I may yet consider a small sub. Probably not though. I'm trying to keep the overall costs within budget. I got carried away on modding my Jeep....

The JL options you first list @usemygoodeye, seem top-notch. I eyed (ha) the 6x9" upgrade from them... before I went with HK, but we'll see how long I keep that stock. I've had their amps and speakers before, all good, stable, reliable products.

I’ve never been much of an audiophile. My last vehicle was actually the first I ever upgraded anything on.

I’ve done quite a bit of research and hope I can find something that meets my needs and budget.

At the moment, JL speakers and the JX amp seem like the right way to go.

We shall see. Or hear in this case

Whatever you do, let us know what you decide and how you like it. Very helpful for others here. I've gotten some great audio advice here.
    Subaru Ambassador - 2017 Limited, Venetian Red Pearl, Eyesight, Nav, moonroof, keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and compass, pushbutton start, Kicker powered sub, rear JL Audio C2 525x coaxials, JL Audio C2-650 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System up front, under seat Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel amp

Two weeks ago I added a JL sub (10-inch Powerwedge sealed) to my 18 Crosstrek, which came with HK audio. The sub is compact and hardly takes up any space at all in back, up against the back of the rear seats with the woofer pointed at the rear door of the car. I like the HK system but it definitely lacks the deep low-end thump that only a sub can provide, and with 4 front speakers and only two rear ones, the sound is weighted too heavily to the front of the car. The sub solved both issues. It's probably just in my head, but I swear the whole system sounds better. I'm not looking to annoy the neighbors or ruin my hearing. I have the sub set at a fraction of the volume it's capable of. I gotta say, though, adding a quality sub to what was already a good audio system was money well spent. At least for me.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast