Model Year 2018 and Newer JL Audio - Anyone have their speakers / amps ? - Page 8

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: JL Audio - Anyone have their speakers / amps ?

Quote Originally Posted by FLCrosstrekker View Post
    Put real tweeters in the dash, not small mids.
    ok this is where i get mixed signals. i'm all for clarity but you're saying drop the rears and dash speakers and just run one set of components in front with a sub. i feel like that's a waste.

why wouldn't i add component 6x9 with tweeter on A-pillar like https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108K90...7&tp=106&avf=Y and use an upgraded 3-1/2 in dash like https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108PER...l?tp=105&avf=Y and run a component 3 way?

and either run 6.5 coax just for fill in rear off a 6 channel or at least for shits leave it on the factory radio.

i'm not knocking opinions or what has worked for others. i just don't get the reasoning for dropping speakers. will the combo i'm suggesting be bad sounding or overpowering or something? and isn't that exactly why i'm getting a DSP amp with high tune-ablity to dial in those speakers and channels for a balanced system?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Not suggesting you drop the dash speakers and/or the rears. What I am suggesting is installing a component speaker system up front, which means true mids/mid woofers in the doors and true tweeters in the dash. Then install matching quality coaxial in the rear. Not only will you get better clarity because the highs are raised and brought forward but a truer soundstage will result with more realistic and present sound with you and your ears in the center. Putting the 3.5 midsized in the dash will give you louder sound, but muddier. Placing the only true tweeters in the doors as part of coaxial only install will place the highs, which are the most directional of the sounds, at your feet.
    Subaru Ambassador - 2017 Limited, Venetian Red Pearl, Eyesight, Nav, moonroof, keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and compass, pushbutton start, Kicker powered sub, rear JL Audio C2 525x coaxials, JL Audio C2-650 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System up front, under seat Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel amp

I put an Alpine KTP-445U behind my head unit, removed the dash speakers completely, replaced the front door speakers with Infinity Reference 3-way 6x9s and the rear door speakers with Infinity Reference 2-way 6.5"s. The 6x9 tweeters are slightly angled, so I installed them such that they're angled upward. They also have a +3dB switch on the tweeters, and I left that enabled.

I have to assume the results are not as good as components with the tweeter in the dash, but I didn't want to deal with custom mounting the tweeters. That said, the highs sound __significantly__ better than they did on the stock 6-speaker setup, and I definitely do not find myself wishing my highs sounded better.

Regarding the rear speakers, I haven't tried disconnecting them to see if I could even tell the difference, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably spend less on rear door speakers. I'm a little curious to see how it'd sound if I set my KTP-445U to bridged so I'd have 2x90 for just the fronts instead of 4x45 for all four doors.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FLCrosstrekker View Post
    Not suggesting you drop the dash speakers and/or the rears. What I am suggesting is installing a component speaker system up front, which means true mids/mid woofers in the doors and true tweeters in the dash. Then install matching quality coaxial in the rear. Not only will you get better clarity because the highs are raised and brought forward but a truer soundstage will result with more realistic and present sound with you and your ears in the center. Putting the 3.5 midsized in the dash will give you louder sound, but muddier. Placing the only true tweeters in the doors as part of coaxial only install will place the highs, which are the most directional of the sounds, at your feet.
    So, as i revised. you would agree to a 3 way component? putting the tweeter on the A pillar "and" using a 3.5 mid in the dash corner band passed say 450 - 3500 and EQ'd active through the amps active system. with the non- coaxial 6x9 in the door?

seems we're saying the same thing, i'm just adding a 3rd speaker. i agree with your "on-axis" placement of the tweeter. vs a more budget coaxial 6x9 in the door.

That would work.
    Subaru Ambassador - 2017 Limited, Venetian Red Pearl, Eyesight, Nav, moonroof, keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and compass, pushbutton start, Kicker powered sub, rear JL Audio C2 525x coaxials, JL Audio C2-650 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System up front, under seat Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by Xravnos View Post
    ok this is where i get mixed signals. i'm all for clarity but you're saying drop the rears and dash speakers and just run one set of components in front with a sub. i feel like that's a waste.

why wouldn't i add component 6x9 with tweeter on A-pillar like https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108K90...7&tp=106&avf=Y and use an upgraded 3-1/2 in dash like https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108PER...l?tp=105&avf=Y and run a component 3 way?

and either run 6.5 coax just for fill in rear off a 6 channel or at least for shits leave it on the factory radio.

i'm not knocking opinions or what has worked for others. i just don't get the reasoning for dropping speakers. will the combo i'm suggesting be bad sounding or overpowering or something? and isn't that exactly why i'm getting a DSP amp with high tune-ablity to dial in those speakers and channels for a balanced system?
    I said run the 6x9 mid in the door and a tweeter in the dash , because YOU said you wanted to run a 6x9 and tweeter in the door and a COAX 3 1/2 in the dash. A coax is a full range driver and would have been a terrible idea.

The link the 3 1/2" midrange makes a little more sense, but you want to put the midrange and tweeter as close to each other as possible and as on axis as possible to make it work.

Your plan is not terrible but not ideal either. Can you come up with a way to get the mid and tweeter closer together than one in the dash and one in the door?
    2018 Pearl White Crosstrek Limited 8" non nav HU firmware Rel_UO.18.22.20

Audio: Helix P-Six DSP : Zapco Z-1kd : Audiofrog GB15, GS690, SI RM-12

Quote Originally Posted by MiniSQ View Post
    I said run the 6x9 mid in the door and a tweeter in the dash , because YOU said you wanted to run a 6x9 and tweeter in the door and a COAX 3 1/2 in the dash. A coax is a full range driver and would have been a terrible idea.

The link the 3 1/2" midrange makes a little more sense, but you want to put the midrange and tweeter as close to each other as possible and as on axis as possible to make it work.

Your plan is not terrible but not ideal either. Can you come up with a way to get the mid and tweeter closer together than one in the dash and one in the door?
    yeah sorry, i'm working through this as its evolving if that makes since. most of the mids i saw in 3.5 where coax untill i saw those kappas, and liked the 6x9 components they are suggested to be paired with to build a 3way.

as far as getting them on axis and close as possible i believe they will be pretty close. as i'm looking at the xtrek i will likely either put them low on the A-pilar or right on the corner where the door top ends . either way pretty close and on same plane. with the 6x9 woofer obviously rounding out the door lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Xravnos View Post
    yeah sorry, i'm working through this as its evolving if that makes since. most of the mids i saw in 3.5 where coax untill i saw those kappas, and liked the 6x9 components they are suggested to be paired with to build a 3way.

as far as getting them on axis and close as possible i believe they will be pretty close. as i'm looking at the xtrek i will likely either put them low on the A-pilar or right on the corner where the door top ends . either way pretty close and on same plane. with the 6x9 woofer obviously rounding out the door lower.
    Sounds like a sold plan then!!!
    2018 Pearl White Crosstrek Limited 8" non nav HU firmware Rel_UO.18.22.20

Audio: Helix P-Six DSP : Zapco Z-1kd : Audiofrog GB15, GS690, SI RM-12

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8