Model Year 2018 and Newer MY18 Head Unit Issues and Problems

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 94 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree192Likes

Thread: MY18 Head Unit Issues and Problems

MY18 Head Unit Issues and Problems

This thread is all about the Head Unit (HU) on the new MY18 XV Crosstrek..
    Do you have a question, a problem or issues with it?...post here.
    Deborah

'Sunny' Sunshine Orange MY18 XV-S CVT
    ...replacing 'Lovely' Tangerine Orange Pearl MY12 XV-S CVT

Sunny MY18 XV Journal Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I mostly like the HU in the new XV, and I love Apple Play.
    But I cannot stand/detest/hate that you cannot permanently turn off the audio!
    As soon as you turn on the car, the radio starts blaring. If the last thing you used was Bluetooth, then that starts blaring. The only way around that is to remember to turn the sound down to zero before you turn off the car.
    Also, when you're using Apple Play and you've turned off whatever you've been listening to by touching the screen...as soon as you turn off the car, the radio starts blaring again!
    Also, the audio does not stop when you turn off the car...you physically have to open the door for it to stop, or reach over and turn off the button.
    This HU is different from the previous models, which used to remember when you turned off the audio...so when you restart the car, the audio was already off. This one, with the audio permanently on, is driving me crazy!
    Deborah

'Sunny' Sunshine Orange MY18 XV-S CVT
    ...replacing 'Lovely' Tangerine Orange Pearl MY12 XV-S CVT

Sunny MY18 XV Journal Thread

Now, mind you, I'm not an expert in this sort of thing, but if you had the steering wheel on the other side of the dash ....

Gerry

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I dislike it when a passenger iPhone is plugger into charge at the front USBs (the easy access ones) and the HU disconnected Bluetooth from my phone that was playing music and demands apple car play and refuses anything else.

I dislike the way it vocalises "towards" when gpsing.

Idislike that the GPS map autozoom is very needy. I can't have autozoom enabled in menu and during driving adjust a particular scale and make it stay there. After a few seconds it reverts to Auto.

The touchscreen may become unresponsive if you do things too quick. Like typing too quick or dragging the map around too quick.

The night I purchased mine, I had an issue with the BT connection between my phone and the HU. I had it in the accessory position, connected my phone and began music. Upon starting it up, the HU said the phone was still connected, but the phone did not show any connections. Couldn't "disconnect" the phone on the HU, delete it, anything. Couldn't reconnect the phone. Ended up doing a factory data reset on the HU, hasn't happened since.

I've also noticed that when I have any audio playing via BT, there is a constant ticking noise. It doesn't happen in my girlfriend's Honda, or with my BT headphones, and it does not matter what the audio input is (music on the phone, pandora, etc.).

i had an issue with Android Auto disconnecting for no reason, but the issue wasn't the headunit or my phone. Turns out it was a cheap USB cable that i bought. Swapped it with a better one and it works great now.
    Last edited by LeeTxv; 08-10-2017 at 05:55 AM. Reason: sorry for the typo. fixed now :)

Quote Originally Posted by LeeTxv View Post
    i had an issue with Android Auto disconnecting for no reason, but the issue wasn't the headunit or my phone. Turns out it was a cheap USB cable that i bought. Swapped it with a better one and it works great not.
    Wait, so it wasn't the cable then? The 'not' at the end has me confused...

Sure it is a typo and the OP meant "and it works great now."
    Subaru Ambassador - 2017 Limited, Venetian Red Pearl, Eyesight, Nav, moonroof, keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and compass, pushbutton start, Kicker powered sub, rear JL Audio C2 525x coaxials, JL Audio C2-650 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System up front, under seat Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel amp

HU has been ok so far ( 13 days ) re freezing/weird things but does become slow to respond when you select things at a "normal" speed.

Annoyances ....

Media-USB artist/album selection insisting on sorting Alphabetically on MP3 tags even though I've named the files 01_1st track.mp3, 02_2ndtrack.mp3 etc.
    This can be solved by putting a playlist in each album folder and just selecting playlists ( you do then lose the artist/album selection )

DEbsXV issue with the radio insisting on being turning on when you stop , or start, the car. If it was on USB at vol3, I want it to start up there, or stay at least quiet until I decide otherwise. Don't select radio at X volume automatically.

It would be nice if you could turn Navigation audio prompts off and just use prompts on the screen/info display. Even turning the Nav volume to zero still interrupts the music when it wants to say something. I know roughly where I'm going, just prompt me on the screen when the turn is coming up.

Otherwise a very nice car :-)
    Last edited by rayjay; 08-10-2017 at 05:25 AM. Reason: grammar
    MY18 Ice Silver 2.0i-s CVT

Quote Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
    It would be nice if you could turn Navigation audio prompts off and just use prompts on the screen/info display. Even turning the Nav volume to zero still interrupts the music when it wants to say something. I know roughly where I'm going, just prompt me on the screen when the turn is coming up.

Otherwise a very nice car :-)
    You can turn off nav audio prompts. Tap the nav screen, on the right there are three buttons placed vertically. The centre one, an image of a speaker, is mute if you press it.

I love being able to mute it.

Page 1 of 94 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast