Model Year 2018 and Newer Motor Trend says Great MPG especially for the Manual Transmission

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Motor Trend says Great MPG especially for the Manual Transmission

Motor Trend says Great MPG especially for the Manual Transmission

SUBARU CROSSTREK MANUAL TRANSMISSION

It may not be the most powerful crossover around, but the Crosstrek is a practical choice thanks to its spacious interior and solid off-road capability. Add to that impressive fuel economy. When paired with a manual transmission, the Crosstrek achieves a Real MPG score of 25.9/38.9/30.5 mpg, significantly higher than its EPA rating of 23/29/25 mpg. The CVT automatic-equipped Crosstrek is still efficient but doesn't quite live up to its high EPA estimate. Its Real MPG score is 24.5/35.1/28.3 mpg, compared to its EPA rating of 27/33/29 mpg.
    Subaru Ambassador - 2017 Limited, Venetian Red Pearl, Eyesight, Nav, moonroof, keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and compass, pushbutton start, Kicker powered sub, rear JL Audio C2 525x coaxials, JL Audio C2-650 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System up front, under seat Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel amp

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I can verify that. Around town I come in a bit worse than the published figures, but most of my drives are highway miles and according to Fuely I can exceed the EPA figures easily.

Jake
    2014 Crosstrek Premium 5 speed - orange
    2019 Crosstrek Premium 6 speed - dk. grey

This pisses me off to no end, considering that I bought the CVT in large part due to the higher mileage. Sigh.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I know I usually drive very conservatively in my manual, as of this morning Fuelly say's I'm averaging 7.5L/100 km (31.3 mpg).
    The exaggerometer says 6.8 (34.5 mpg).
    Audio mod manual: https://www.impreza5.com/forum/26-el...er-thread.html
    Crutchfield directions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JV4...ub2Ssid9c/view

----

----
    18' Subaru Crosstrek "Stamford" - 29 Aug 17 -
    07' VW Rabbit "Bunny"- 4 Jan 07' - 30 Jun 17'
    94' Chev Beretta "Dirty B" - 24 Jun 96' - 4 Jan 07'
    85' Hyundai Stellar "Beast" - Mar 94' - Dec 95'

Quote Originally Posted by xvsix View Post
    This pisses me off to no end, considering that I bought the CVT in large part due to the higher mileage. Sigh.

That was a piece of my decision making process as well. That and sore knees.
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

Quote Originally Posted by FLCrosstrekker View Post
    The CVT automatic-equipped Crosstrek is still efficient but doesn't quite live up to its high EPA estimate. Its Real MPG score is 24.5/35.1/28.3 mpg, compared to its EPA rating of 27/33/29 mpg.
    Consumer Reports got 20/39/29 mpg with the CVT Crosstrek.

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBill View Post
    Consumer Reports got 20/39/29 mpg with the CVT Crosstrek.
    That's about what we get...
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

I'm suspecting CR was using the Exaggerometer.

artosa
    '18 Premium DGM Low-tech, "StealthGeezer"
    "I'm not an expert at anything" and "Perspective is Everything"

I highly doubt they would do that. I believe they have specific methods they use for testing, and using the display to get MPG isn’t any way to get real data. Doing that would have burned them long before this. I could certainly be wrong.

You are not wrong. From Consumer Reports' website:

Fuel Economy
    We perform our own fuel-economy tests, independent of the government’s often quoted EPA figures and the manufacturers’ claims. Using a precise fuel-flow measuring device spliced into the fuel line, we run two separate circuits. One is on a public highway at a steady 65 mph. That course is run in both directions to counteract any terrain and wind effects. A second is a simulated urban/suburban-driving test done at our track. It consists of predetermined acceleration and deceleration rates, as well as idle time. Consumer Reports’ overall fuel-economy numbers are derived from those fuel-consumption tests.
    Subaru Ambassador - 2017 Limited, Venetian Red Pearl, Eyesight, Nav, moonroof, keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and compass, pushbutton start, Kicker powered sub, rear JL Audio C2 525x coaxials, JL Audio C2-650 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System up front, under seat Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel amp

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast